Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2012, 06:54 AM   #276
kaitie
Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya.

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We're about to get hit by one of the big storms. Probably going to head down to the basement soon, but just wanted to say prayers would be appreciated. Hoping this misses the populated areas.

And just because it's still awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSgiXGELjbc

Take two: 90,008
Current: 7,680

kaitie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:30 AM   #277
JMC2009
Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
AW Moderator

JMC2009 is a candidate for sainthoodJMC2009 is a candidate for sainthoodJMC2009 is a candidate for sainthoodJMC2009 is a candidate for sainthoodJMC2009 is a candidate for sainthoodJMC2009 is a candidate for sainthoodJMC2009 is a candidate for sainthoodJMC2009 is a candidate for sainthood
Hope you're safe, Kaitie.

<zanzjan> JMC is made of awesome

*preens*

Quote:
AbbielleRose: Everyone, do welcome our new queen,

QUEEN JMC!

SLCBoston: Um, who??

Have you chatted lately? Come join the fun! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=178738
JMC2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #278
kaitie

kaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskaitie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Storm just passed over. Giant hail and a ridiculous amount of wind and rain, but the tornado missed us. I keep hearing sirens, but I live right by a fire department and a hospital so that could be why. I'm hoping the tornado missed the city.

Hope you're safe, too, JMC. This is a scary night to be in tornado land.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #279
mccardey
I'm writing. Undistractable.

mccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmccardey is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thinking of you all - hope everything is ok.
mccardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #280
JMC2009
AW Moderator

JMC2009 is a candidate for sainthoodJMC2009 is a candidate for sainthoodJMC2009 is a candidate for sainthoodJMC2009 is a candidate for sainthoodJMC2009 is a candidate for sainthoodJMC2009 is a candidate for sainthoodJMC2009 is a candidate for sainthoodJMC2009 is a candidate for sainthood
All the bad stuff ended up missing me. Hope everyone else is ok!

*preens*

Quote:

QUEEN JMC!

Have you chatted lately? Come join the fun! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=178738
Old 04-15-2012, 07:09 PM   #281
shakeysix
blue eyed floozy

shakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
97 tornadoes in kansas last night. at least three in stafford county, after dark. we had to go to the library basement twice. it was supposed to be prom night but the superintendent called it off because of the weather. there were a couple of tornadoes, hail and severe winds near macksville, the high school where i teach, and in belpre where the prom would have been. it was a good move although some thought he was over reacting. there is a tree across my street but it missed anne's car. anne and i did see a funnel cloud in the evening, forming in clouds north of town. since it was north we weren't in any danger. we were still fumbling around with the phone camera when it went back into the clouds. later lyons, a town in the county to the north- east, was hit. i think it was the same wall cloud.

wichita was hit on the east side of town. woodward oklahoma was also hit hard. 5 deaths there, none in kansas so far. some homes destroyed outside of our town. saw the red cross going somewhere, but people took this outbreak seriously. the shelter in st. john was packed. several travelers came in from highway fifty, one a high school track team from garden city. my heavy aluminum glider and lawn chairs were thrown off my porch. the slide to the playhouse is twisted but the windows are sound. need to go outside and pick up but it is still very windy. thank god and thank the weathermen who scared the h out of us this time. --s6

Last edited by shakeysix; 04-15-2012 at 07:26 PM.
shakeysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #282
kaitie

Yeah, they're saying it hit here pretty bad, pretty much directly south of us. It's scary because a restaurant that we go to often is right on the corner of the damage path according to the news. Luckily it seems like it mostly didn't hit residential areas and the areas it did the people were prepared. So far no injuries reported here.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #283
JMC2009
AW Moderator

Thanks for the update, Shakey and and Kaitie. I knew where 6 is from, so I kept watching that part of the state and had a few moments where I was trying to find out more information on a cell that was way too close to her!

I'm glad you were able to stay out of the path, Kaitie.

*preens*

Quote:

QUEEN JMC!

Old 04-15-2012, 10:19 PM   #284
Siri Kirpal
Swan in Process

Siri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiri Kirpal is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Glad to hear you're all safe! Prayers that you all stay that way!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
Old 04-16-2012, 05:17 PM   #285
Alessandra Kelley
Sophipygian
AW Moderator

Alessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlessandra Kelley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's much slower and longer term, but how are people dealing with the drought in England?

I've been hearing about it for maybe a month now, and it sounds like it's grim and going to get grimmer.
Alessandra Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:50 PM   #286
LaurieD
aka Skwirrel

LaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLaurieD is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My daughter came home from school yesterday with news that her friend, who lives on a farm about 15 miles north northeast of us, had a tornado in one of their pastures Sunday morning.

Hubs came home from work with news of a different one hitting a small airport about 30 miles west of us, removing siding and part of the roof.

Here at the house, (we're in NE OK) we had a lot of rain and a lot of wind for about twenty minutes. Maybe a smattering of bitty hail. No damage of any kind - one 3 ft rose bush was mangled a bit but looks good as new with some staking.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #287
Fame<Infamy
Pulp & Fiction

Fame<Infamy has a spectacular aura
It's odd, but I remember as a child there were a lot of Tornadoes in the Houston area...now there are almost none ever.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:49 AM   #288
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandra Kelley View Post
It's much slower and longer term, but how are people dealing with the drought in England?

I've been hearing about it for maybe a month now, and it sounds like it's grim and going to get grimmer.
Nah, we're all right. Ever since the govt announced a hosepipe ban, it hasn't stopped raining....

The thing you have to remember with our media is that if it's happening in the South East (London) it's happening everywhere. Even when it isn't.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:11 AM   #289
JMC2009
AW Moderator

St. Louis area folks ok? *pokes*

*preens*

Quote:

QUEEN JMC!

Old 04-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #290
shakeysix
blue eyed floozy

shakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshakeysix is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
things looked wicked your way --missouri and ok-- this morning early. all okay? --s6
shakeysix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:18 AM   #291
JMC2009
AW Moderator

Me? Yeah, just some spring thunderboomers.

*preens*

Quote:

QUEEN JMC!

Old 04-30-2012, 02:43 PM   #292
C.H. Valentino
Benefactor Member

C.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMC2009 View Post
St. Louis area folks ok? *pokes*
Yeah. Not so much. Property damage and such. Hail does not make for quiet times for the police dispatcher. I long for a tornado.
C.H. Valentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #293
JMC2009
AW Moderator

Oh no, Val! Was it extensive property damage?

*preens*

Quote:

QUEEN JMC!

Old 04-30-2012, 06:30 PM   #294
C.H. Valentino
Benefactor Member

C.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsC.H. Valentino is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My parents lost a vehicle. Lots of other people I know are without their cars and many had substantial roof and siding damage.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #295
JMC2009
AW Moderator

Oh wow. :-( Sending good thoughts to them as they work through this.

*preens*

Quote:

QUEEN JMC!

Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #296
mirandashell

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
All that damage from hail? Wow.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:52 PM   #297
mirandashell

BTW, we now have officially the wettest drought on record....
Old 04-30-2012, 10:04 PM   #298
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
BTW, we now have officially the wettest drought on record....
Technically (and this is going to sound idiotic, but bear with me), the level of rain doesn't really matter - it is usable water which is the issue, not the water falling in the wrong place. It can rain up a storm, but if it doesn't land in the reservoirs and lakes which are used to supply water to residences and businesses the rain is not helpful to sustaining resources. It's more complicated than that, but it would bore everyone senseless...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #299
C.H. Valentino
Benefactor Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
All that damage from hail? Wow.
Hail the size of baseballs.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:12 AM   #300
mirandashell

Bloody hell!