Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #451
Xirana
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Xirana is on a distinguished road
I thought i would share this for those interested: during Sara's #10queriesIn10tweets on Twitter today she stated that she wants more romance authors NOW and that she LOVES contemp YA.
Xirana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:24 AM   #452
RoseColoredSkies
It's a long and winding road

RoseColoredSkies has a spectacular aura
Just subbed to Kristen with my women's fiction mss. We'll see if anything comes of it. Fingers crossed.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:41 AM   #453
jana13k
Yep. I can.

jana13k has a spectacular aurajana13k has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_b View Post
My comment was: "It also makes one wonder how long it will be until they decide to go whole hog and start routing new titles into their publishing stream."

Old books have limited sales potential, even for well established authors. With the new trend of authors self-publishing after they've established a readership, there's the potential they may change their current stance. Which is why I'd wondered how long they're going to stick with reissues before they start helping authors with new, previously unpublished work.
They already will help authors release new works if we'd like. But there's no obligation to do anything with them. I put up my own backlist and fully intend to release a new mystery series myself. I have people lined up for cover design, editing and can configure my own ebooks. But many don't and don't want to get the connections or knowledge. For them, it's a good deal. Also, I can pick and choose distribution channels. For example, I can ask her to distribute my book for me only to Overdrive but do the rest myself.

There's no conflict of interest here. Kristin was very careful about constructing this end of her business. And one of her clients is a intellectual rights attorney who is never short on saying what she thinks. She consulted with Kristin and is on board with everything she did. If you are going to trust anyone to do the right thing in publishing, it's Kristin Nelson.
jana13k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #454
Twinkie
spongy, yellow, & an utter mystery

Twinkie is on a distinguished road
I queried Sara Megibow on 3/19 at 10:45 am and had a response (rejection, sadly) waiting in my inbox by 4:30 on the same day. Talk about prompt! Even though she said no, I respect her for not leaving me to obsess about my query.
Old 03-24-2012, 04:24 AM   #455
CharleyGirl
Glad to be here

CharleyGirl is on a distinguished road
Has anyone gotten a query response from Kristin Nelson in the last week or so? It's been over two weeks for me, and they usually respond very quickly (the website says 5 to 10 days). I saw that she and Anita Mumm were at the Bologna Book Fair, and I'm wondering if that's impacting response times. Thanks!

Last edited by CharleyGirl; 03-24-2012 at 07:32 PM.
CharleyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 05:20 AM   #456
inspiredbymusic
practical experience, FTW

inspiredbymusic is on a distinguished road
CharleyGirl, I also queried Ms. Nelson just over 2 weeks ago and haven't received a response. I'm assuming that the Bologna Book Fair is delaying response times. I imagine she is busy night and day over there! She posted a little update on her blog a couple of days ago--check it out if you haven't already.
inspiredbymusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:05 AM   #457
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Give them time. First, they have to deal with unpacking and jetlag.
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 07:31 PM   #458
CharleyGirl
Glad to be here

Thanks inspiredbymusic and Filigree! I didn't mean to sound impatient at all (I'm used to waiting much longer for responses)~ I was just curious to see if anyone had gotten a response lately. Sorry if it came across otherwise.
Old 03-31-2012, 08:04 AM   #459
Ginger Writer
Writing like a madwoman

Ginger Writer is on a distinguished road
Has anyone gotten any responses from Kristen Nelson lately? I know that it takes a while for most agents, but they usually get back in 5-10 days and I haven't heard back for three weeks now. I realize that they've been busy what with the book fair and all, but I'm worried that my query was lost in cyberspace and am not sure when (or if) it would be appropriate to nudge at any point soon. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2012, 05:12 AM   #460
Paul
Banned for Trolling

Paul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Writer View Post
Has anyone gotten any responses from Kristen Nelson lately? I know that it takes a while for most agents, but they usually get back in 5-10 days and I haven't heard back for three weeks now. I realize that they've been busy what with the book fair and all, but I'm worried that my query was lost in cyberspace and am not sure when (or if) it would be appropriate to nudge at any point soon. Thanks!
my experience, she usually pretty fast, so a slow response, might be good...
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:34 PM   #461
inspiredbymusic

Ginger Writer,
I sent Ms. Nelson a query on 3/8 and haven't heard back yet. I think Bologna probably set her back quite a bit. I'm happy to be able to still hope.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #462
Brigid Barry
Maneater

Brigid Barry is a shiny, shiny jewelBrigid Barry is a shiny, shiny jewel
I sent her my horrible query and got a form reject back promptly.

She is my dream agent.

@BrigidBarryAuth
Brigid Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #463
Ginger Writer
Writing like a madwoman

Ginger Writer is on a distinguished road
Thanks, guys. Here's hopin'!
Old 04-03-2012, 01:23 AM   #464
michael_b
So many ideas, never enough time.

michael_b is a shiny, shiny jewelmichael_b is a shiny, shiny jewel
One of these days I'll actually write something I can send to an agent and start with this one.

They're just down the road from me, which makes them especially appealing.
I do NaNoWriMo

**An All Romance eBooks Bestseller**
Order-The Prince He Loved
Print
Ebook

Temporarily on a writing hiatus
michael_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #465
Chumplet
This hat is getting too hot

Chumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChumplet is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Queried Sara Megibow March 29th, received a form "Dear Author" rejection today.

Blerg.

My Blog
My Website
I'm a Twit, too

Chumplet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #466
JoyMC

JoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admirationJoyMC has earned our admiration
I EQ'd Sara Megibow on 3/31, and got a rejection last night. Then for good measure, she sent another rejection 14 hours later!
Old 04-03-2012, 09:30 PM   #467
Wisteria Vine

Wisteria Vine has a spectacular aura
Query so nice, she rejects you twice!
Wisteria Vine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #468
K. Victoria Chase

K. Victoria Chase is well-respected
Ouch, JoyMC. I'd eat some chocolate chip cookie dough over that one!
K. Victoria Chase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #469
CharleyGirl
Glad to be here

Has anyone gotten a response in the last week or so on queries sent to Kristin Nelson? It's been over a month on mine--I know they're still settling in from Bologna...just wondering if responses are trickling in yet. Thanks!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:37 AM   #470
inspiredbymusic

CharleyGirl,
No, I still haven't received a response on my query to Ms. Nelson sent 3/8. I believe she mentioned on her blog that she was going to be away at a conference this week (if I'm not mistaken).
Still hoping!
Old 04-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #471
Kitty27
So Goth That I Was Born Black
AW Moderator

Kitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty27 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I remember sending a really horrid query to this agency. The rejection was very nice,lol.

Good luck,everyone!

NIGHT CALLS(Finally have a title! )YA Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy Novel,Coming 2014.
Vampire Writer 4 life and don't GAF.

"You've got to stop with this rap crap,Kitty. Put on some blues,gal! Feel that pain,soul and a good old time. Get with some Howling Wolf,Denise LaSalle and Johnny Taylor. Not that Snoopy boy or whatever his name is."
RC Wilcox,RIP

Last edited by Kitty27; 04-13-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Kitty27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 PM   #472
Deb Kinnard
They agreed: "just friends."

Deb Kinnard leaves trails of profuse coolnessDeb Kinnard leaves trails of profuse coolnessDeb Kinnard leaves trails of profuse coolnessDeb Kinnard leaves trails of profuse coolnessDeb Kinnard leaves trails of profuse coolness
She's at RT here in Chicago. I know because I ran into her on the elevator and we had a very nice mini-chat. She didn't know me from anyone, and was just as friendly as you'd ever want to meet.
A QUIET KIND OF LOVE, indie coming soon for Kindle

An inspiration... ...I have a serious case of Grobanosis
Deb Kinnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #473
Emualde

Emualde is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharleyGirl View Post
Has anyone gotten a response in the last week or so on queries sent to Kristin Nelson? It's been over a month on mine--I know they're still settling in from Bologna...just wondering if responses are trickling in yet. Thanks!
Equery 4/06.
Partial request 4/13.
Emualde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 PM   #474
CharleyGirl
Glad to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emualde View Post
Equery 4/06.
Partial request 4/13.
Congratulations Emualde!
Old 04-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #475
inspiredbymusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by inspiredbymusic View Post
CharleyGirl,
No, I still haven't received a response on my query to Ms. Nelson sent 3/8. I believe she mentioned on her blog that she was going to be away at a conference this week (if I'm not mistaken).
Still hoping!
Update: I received a form rejection this morning.

Congratulations to Emualde on the request and good luck to everyone else!