Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Games
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 09:28 PM   #26
Kaiser-Kun
!

Kaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
No no, the best sex scene is Blasto's sex scene.
Kaiser-Kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:11 PM   #27
Al Ross
practical experience, FTW

Al Ross is on a distinguished road
I'm waiting on Mass Effect's new ending before playing the game. I want the experience to be epic and not a hot steamy romp cut short by a cold shower.

WWW.ALEXROSARIA.COM
Al Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:31 AM   #28
auriel

auriel is on a distinguished road
I have this strange feeling that they were planning this all along. Anyway, I'm hoping so. I'd prefer to think they had a genius ending waiting in the wings then genuinely believing the current one would satisfy the legions of fans. We'll just have to see.
auriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:49 PM   #29
LOG
Lagrangian

LOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputation
Free "Extended Cut" DLC coming this summer.

What do you know, they can be taught.
Watch your habits, they become character.
Watch your character, it becomes your destiny."
--Laozi
LOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:59 PM   #30
Opty
Pure, undiluted awesome

Opty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The timing of the announcement seems awfully convenient...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...rica-now-what/

"The mind is its own place and, in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." John Milton
Opty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #31
LOG
Lagrangian

LOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputationLOG has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opty View Post
The timing of the announcement seems awfully convenient...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertco...rica-now-what/
+
That's it.
That's torn it.
I am done with EA.

I am going to check every game I am interested in from now on, and if it's by EA, I'm not going to buy it. I will continue boycotting their games until I am convinced they are making a serious change for the better, or until they self-destruct.

Thankfully I'm not a big buyer of their games to begin with.
--Laozi
Old 04-07-2012, 01:59 AM   #32
Kaiser-Kun
!

Kaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKaiser-Kun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's sad, really. Games with such potential being weighed down by executive meddling...
Old 04-08-2012, 05:04 AM   #33
efkelley
ow

efkelley is a glorious beacon of lightefkelley is a glorious beacon of light
This is what happens when a company goes public. The company becomes solely interested in making more money. Sure, they still make games, build TVs, offer phone service, etc... But, ultimately, their single most important goal is pleasing the stockholders, people who have no sustained or long term interest in the company's success.

For a stockholder to divest their interest in a company they need only hit the Sell button. For an employee to divest their interest, they have to find a new job or move or take other similarly drastic steps. Sure, the stockholder has money in the company. The employee has a lot more at stake, even if it's not cash. But the executives are always more interested in keeping the stock price high than keeping the employees employed or even keeping the customers happy.

That's effectively what EA said in their casual dismissal of winning the Worst Company award. "People still buy our games, so this award is BS." What sucks is they do have a point. We're giving them the money to keep dicking us over.

I think I'm with Log on this one. For my part, any EA title I consider will need stellar reviews and a bargain bin price. Since they're not selling via Steam anymore, that's not going to happen very often. And since Mass Effect was the last series of theirs where I'd gotten so deeply invested, I won't experience the 'gotta have it' syndrome. And BioWare has lost a lot of trust with me thanks to EA's hijinks. Plus the writing really hasn't been there since DAO and ME2.
The Obligatory Facebook Link
efkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 05:07 AM   #34
Kaiser-Kun
!

I dunno about your last point. Most scenes in ME3, specially the crew's interactions, were better written since ME2, which only makes the ending look worse by comparison.

Would the ending look better if there was no "choice" and the effect depended on your previous gameplay? seems like the biggest complaint is that the choice doesn't change anything but the purty colors of doom.
Old 04-08-2012, 05:30 AM   #35
efkelley
ow

efkelley is a glorious beacon of lightefkelley is a glorious beacon of light
Alas, I can't really speak to the writing as yet in ME3. (Still not done with the novel draft. Yes, bad Eric, I know, but I'll be finished this week!) From what I hear, you're dead-on accurate. ME3 is truly great right up until the end. So, yeah, I should amend my statement. I can argue against DA2's writing though. Bleh. It had its moments, but those were rare.

Thing is, EA knew just how adored Mass Effect had become. They saw an opportunity to drag more cash out of us, and they probably even knew some of this was dodgy shit. They tried it anyway. Dicks!

I know I'm preaching to the choir here. I think they didn't quite see how this might backlash. I'm pretty wary of getting invested in anything else they'll do now. I won't know if they're going to put a gun to my game's head again and demand ten extra bucks to play. It's just not worth my time.
The Obligatory Facebook Link
efkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:09 PM   #36
Kaiser-Kun
!

It's evil, yet I love it!xD
Old 04-13-2012, 02:24 AM   #37
Shadow Dragon
the philosophical pegasus

Shadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser-Kun View Post
Yep. That's EA in a nutshell. Also, VG Cats is a pretty good comic series.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:26 AM   #38
narmowen
Lost in the woods

narmowen is on a distinguished road
I'd read that, and after playing through to the ending twice, I'm glad. They said that they wouldn't have an A, B, C ending, and that's exactly what they've done.

Shimmer: YA post-apocolyptic. 3k and going.

Requests from the Reference Desk
narmowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:42 AM   #39
LOG
Lagrangian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narmowen View Post
I'd read that, and after playing through to the ending twice, I'm glad. They said that they wouldn't have an A, B, C ending, and that's exactly what they've done.
. . . clarify?
I'm not sure if you're saying they have or haven't done as promised.
--Laozi
Old 04-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #40
Kaiser-Kun
!

Maybe the incoming free DLC will expand the missions on Earth and give us a proper final level, like the Suicide Mission in ME2? (One of the highest videogame experiences I've ever played)

Someone needs to keep hope.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:50 AM   #41
narmowen
Lost in the woods

narmowen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
. . . clarify?
I'm not sure if you're saying they have or haven't done as promised.
Sorry. They said that they wouldn't have an A, B or C ending, but that's the choices you have at the end. A, B, or C. Destroy, Synthesize, or Contol. A, B or C.

Shimmer: YA post-apocolyptic. 3k and going.

Requests from the Reference Desk
narmowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #42
LOG
Lagrangian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser-Kun View Post
Maybe the incoming free DLC will expand the missions on Earth and give us a proper final level, like the Suicide Mission in ME2? (One of the highest videogame experiences I've ever played)

Someone needs to keep hope.
Doesn't seem that way . . .
--Laozi
Old 04-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #43
Opty
Pure, undiluted awesome

Opty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOpty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryJoe
"They're basically telling us why their shit stinks rather than giving us something that isn't smelly shit."
QFT.

"The mind is its own place and, in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven." John Milton

Last edited by Opty; 04-14-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 10:33 PM   #44
Kaiser-Kun
!

There's a small free dlc out today, just a couple of extra maps, characters and weapons for multiplayer.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #45
third person
She blinded me--with magic!

third person is a shiny, shiny jewelthird person is a shiny, shiny jewel
Dudes, I have to be honest...after watching and reading some VERY intelligent videos/essays about the "Indoctrination theory", I must say the endings were spot on...lackluster...but spot on.
third person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #46
Justin_AC
Maestro of Mischief

Justin_AC is on a distinguished road
I was actually shocked at how powerful my reaction was to the terrible ending. I was annoyed and bummed out for like, 2 weeks after I beat it. I canceled my subscription to SW:TOR and vowed to never again give EA my money.

You done goofed, EA/BW.
Justin_AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #47
Opty
Pure, undiluted awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by third person View Post
Dudes, I have to be honest...after watching and reading some VERY intelligent videos/essays about the "Indoctrination theory", I must say the endings were spot on...lackluster...but spot on.
Yeah, but they're only intelligent or spot on if you believe the Indoctrination Theory.

Based on what I've read about the "Extended Cut," the Ind Theory isn't going to be a part of it, so it doesn't matter.

They're just going to expand on the shitty endings they already gave us.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:28 AM   #48
Kaiser-Kun
!

Considering the crapness of the missions on Earth (nowhere near the Battle of the Citadel or the Collector's Base), I think they were pretty rushed. The mission at Tuchanka alone would've worked as a great final level.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 AM   #49
dclary
Survivor

dclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Having never gotten into the ME games, can someone give me a Cliffs-Notes version of what the big deal is? I hear about this controversy all over the 'verse, but no idea what it's about.
dclary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:54 AM   #50
Fiender

Fiender is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclary View Post
Having never gotten into the ME games, can someone give me a Cliffs-Notes version of what the big deal is? I hear about this controversy all over the 'verse, but no idea what it's about.
Trying to summarize something as big and encompassing as this controversy is gonna be very difficult but I'll try.

Mass Effect was a grounded science fiction story; like Star Trek.
For whatever reason, perhaps time constraints, perhaps "artistic vision", they decided to give us an ending that "made a statement", rather than give us something that made narrative sense. Cue backlash.
Fiender is offline   Reply With Quote