Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
totopink
practical experience, FTW

totopink is well-respected
OK? [OK vs. okay]

How do I go about spelling this?

I've been going over my edits and I've seen that I've used it more than once. I've been spelling it 'Okay' but I'm wondering if it should be spelt OK or O.K. instead?

O.K. just seemed a bit stunted when I swapped it in. "Are you O.K.?" seems to read a lot more formally whereas "Are you okay?" seems more sensitive.

Does it matter which way I write it or is there a "rule" I should be following?
totopink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Terie
Writer is as Writer does

Terie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Any of the above is fine. Just be consistent and use only one. If you contract the work to a publisher that uses something different from what you did, they'll change it.

Personally, I prefer to spell it out. But I see it all three ways in published material.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog
Terie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
AbielleRose
Crazy Cat Lady

AbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAbielleRose is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't think there's a rule for 'okay' spelling, but I tend to go by a general rule all of my English teachers preached while growing up- if you're writing a story don't abbreviate, spell it all out. Because of that, I would use 'okay' instead of 'O.K./OK'.

Stained Glass in the Night Blog / Twitter

Among the Stars in Sci Fi/Fantasy SYW
AbielleRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nope- be consistent and the publisher will change it to whatever version they prefer.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #5
flapperphilosopher

flapperphilosopher has a spectacular auraflapperphilosopher has a spectacular aura
"Okay" is the standard, though not in an absolute way.

On a slight tangent, I agree O.K. and even OK seems pretty formal and stilted-- since I found out "okay" is standard, probably over ten years ago, I haven't used anything else, even in emails and IM etc., so when a friend uses OK I stumble over it, I've had to remind myself it isn't a more formal, colder version, haha.
flapperphilosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
Debbie V
Mentoring Myself and Others

Debbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolnessDebbie V leaves trails of profuse coolness
I read the abbreviation in a different tone than the spelled out version, too. However, I'd never use OK. It needs both periods.
Debbie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
n3onkn1ght

n3onkn1ght is well-respected
No one knows what OK/O.K./okay even means, let alone what the correct spelling is.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I always wrote OK; my publisher asked me to change it to okay. I changed it. It was OK okay fine with me.

As has been said, stay consistent and change it if asked.

My site My twitter My facebook
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
little_e
Trust: that most precious coin.

little_e has a double-platinum reputationlittle_e has a double-platinum reputationlittle_e has a double-platinum reputationlittle_e has a double-platinum reputationlittle_e has a double-platinum reputationlittle_e has a double-platinum reputationlittle_e has a double-platinum reputation
I always use "okay".
little_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:01 PM   #10
lolchemist
Shooting stars.

lolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admirationlolchemist has earned our admiration
Add another vote for "okay." Somehow I find the visual of "O.K." a bit jarring when I'm trying to read. And it's like "O.K." has the exact amount of button pushes as "okay" anyway, so why bother? (or... actually it has two more because you're pressing the shift key too, LOL)

Current WIP (YA Contemporary) - Book 1: 32,958 of 90,000 X Book 2: 40,359 of 90,000
Current WIP (YA Fantasy) - Book 1: 68,055 of 75,000 x Book 2:
10,512 of 75,000
x Book 3:
09,962 of 75,000 x Book 4:
12,490 of 75,000
lolchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:33 PM   #11
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have edited for places where the house style was "OK" and for places where the house style was "okay". "O.K." seems off to me.

The important thing is to be consistent; that makes it easier for the copy editor to change it all at once if your choice and your publisher's aren't the same.

My preference is pretty strongly for "okay" if anyone cares.

Find me at
BookTweeting on Twitter
for a book review a day, every day!
JUST LAUNCHED:
EbookCheapskate,
where you'll find reviews of
free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:36 PM   #12
Terie
Writer is as Writer does

Terie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie V View Post
I read the abbreviation in a different tone than the spelled out version, too. However, I'd never use OK. It needs both periods.
It doesn't 'need' periods any more than any other acronym does. Periods in acronyms have really fallen out of use. BMI. AIDS. CBS. NBC. USPS. SOS. IRS. US. UK. OK. And so on.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog
Terie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:08 AM   #13
Snick
Banned

Snick is a shiny, shiny jewelSnick is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3onkn1ght View Post
No one knows what OK/O.K./okay even means, let alone what the correct spelling is.
O.K. means Oll Korrect, or Old Kinderhook, if you are in a presidential campaign.
Snick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #14
Susan Littlefield
Tell it like it Is

Susan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Littlefield is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I spell it out.

Please visit my website: http://www.susanlittlefield.blogspot.com/

Susan Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 02:21 AM   #15
absitinvidia
A bit of a wallflower

absitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admirationabsitinvidia has earned our admiration
This comes up every couple of months. Can a mod maybe sticky one of the posts so it's there for easy reference?
absitinvidia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:00 AM   #16
Bufty
Let's see what's on special today..

Bufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBufty is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Logical suggestion for these repeat issues, but history shows availability for easy reference doesn't mean folk are going to look for it, sadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by absitinvidia View Post
This comes up every couple of months. Can a mod maybe sticky one of the posts so it's there for easy reference?
Old 04-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #17
AnWulf

AnWulf is on a distinguished road
OK, ok, okay, or okeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terie View Post
It doesn't 'need' periods any more than any other acronym does. Periods in acronyms have really fallen out of use. BMI. AIDS. CBS. NBC. USPS. SOS. IRS. US. UK. OK. And so on.
I agree with yu that it doesn't need periods. O.K. would mean there were two words or only the letters themselves but ok/okay/okeh is a word and only one word.
Wes şu hal! ... I'm a free-speller (altho, tho, thru, enuff, hav, yu, yur, groop, ~tiv (no e), and many more) ... and I brook (use) old words with old meanings. Go not forthe as a dombe freke. — Book of Courtesy, 1475
AnWulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #18
AnWulf

okeh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snick View Post
O.K. means Oll Korrect, or Old Kinderhook, if you are in a presidential campaign.
"We arrived OK" - notation in the hand-written diary of a traveller going from Boston to New Orleans and back in 1815.

The Choctaw Expression "Okeh" 
and the Americanism "Okay"

Jim Fay, Ph.D. 
7/14/07

Abstract: The etymology of "'OK" based on the Choctaw "okeh" that was cited in dictionaries well into the twentieth century, and how that etymology came to be replaced by one formulated by Allen Read.
 http://www.illinoisprairie.info/chocokeh.htm
Wes şu hal! ... I'm a free-speller (altho, tho, thru, enuff, hav, yu, yur, groop, ~tiv (no e), and many more) ... and I brook (use) old words with old meanings. Go not forthe as a dombe freke. — Book of Courtesy, 1475
Old 04-19-2012, 10:39 PM   #19
BrianByrne
figuring it all out

BrianByrne is on a distinguished road
This is why I love find and replace.
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't let the noise of other people's opinions drown out your inner voice. And most importantly, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become." - Steve Jobs
BrianByrne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #20
Discord
figuring it all out

Discord is on a distinguished road
I LOVE that AW is a community full of people that can fill a whole thread with this discussion. I don't mean that in a condescending way, I genuinely love talking to people who are literate and interested in the minutiae of language.

Anyway, I usually go with okay because I think it flows better.
Discord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #21
Fins Left

Fins Left is well-respected
If you do search and replace make sure to use " OK " and specify match case, otherwise you're gonna get some funky looking words from that.

Any time I read "OK" my mind says Oklahoma. The statement above "We arrived OK" made me wonder why the person was talking about New Orleans.
Fins Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:35 AM   #22
Scott Kaelen
Flogging a World of Dead Horses

Scott Kaelen has a spectacular aura
Despite this:
Quote:
mid 19th century (originally US): probably an abbreviation of orl korrect, humorous form of all correct, popularized as a slogan during President Van Buren's re-election campaign of 1840 in the US; his nickname Old Kinderhook (derived from his birthplace) provided the initials
I still dislike writing or reading 'OK', and definitely not 'O.K.'

To me, more than one and a half centuries have made the original abbreviation void, and now 'okay' is a word of its own right, rather than two words. I always write it as 'okay'.
Scott Kaelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 05:59 PM   #23
AnWulf

Oklahoma is OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fins Left View Post
If you do search and replace make sure to use " OK " and specify match case, otherwise you're gonna get some funky looking words from that.

Any time I read "OK" my mind says Oklahoma. The statement above "We arrived OK" made me wonder why the person was talking about New Orleans.
I tend to think about Oklahoma when I see OK as well ... but then, Oklahoma plays off it as their license plates read "Oklahoma is OK".

In the 1815 bit, I think the traveller was returning from New Orleans ... where he likely picked up the expression from his friends there.

All the choices are ... well ... ok! lol It doesn't matter if one notes OK, ok, okay, or even okeh ... they're all good.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:33 AM   #24
KRHolbrook
is not a My Little Pony

KRHolbrook is on a distinguished road
I don't think I've ever seen "O.K." written within a novel, but I have seen either "okay" or "OK." As long as you keep to one specific spelling, then it's fine.
KRHolbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 AM   #25
benbradley
It's a doggy dog world

benbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbenbradley is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
http://www.merriam-webster.com/video...?&t=1335490915

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianByrne View Post
This is why I love find and replace.
This is how Okaylahoma happens.
benbradley is offline   Reply With Quote