Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help > Tech Talk
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
JoeEkaitis
Resident Corning Ware junkie

Location: A wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. Well, OK, a little podunk town in SoCal.
JoeEkaitis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoeEkaitis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoeEkaitis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoeEkaitis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoeEkaitis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoeEkaitis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoeEkaitis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoeEkaitis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoeEkaitis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJoeEkaitis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Add a little character to your passwords.

Steve Gibson's Password Haystacks page dispels the conventional wisdom about passwords, i.e.: a long random string of characters takes longer to crack with a brute force attack than an easy to remember phrase.

It's not the apparent complexity but the range of characters you use. Create your password using upper case and lower case letters, numbers and whatever symbols are allowed and the password |ILike2Eat4Pancakes| is just as complex as ]A2n73\fnSq|nwPmwXX[ (1 out of 3,622,996,024,341,650,240,846,169,344,922,329,517, 120 20-character passwords from 95 possible characters).

Rule of thumb: use all of the available characters a website allows to make an easy to remember password and you'll be just as safe as letting your cat walk across the keyboard to generate a random password.

Last edited by JoeEkaitis; 03-25-2012 at 11:04 PM.
JoeEkaitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
robjvargas
Dust Bunnies are NSA Agents!

robjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobjvargas is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeEkaitis View Post
Steve Gibson's Password Haystacks page dispels the conventional wisdom about passwords, i.e.: a long random string of characters takes longer to crack with a brute force attack than an easy to remember phrase.
That's not wrong.

Then again, no security expert with whom I've interacted has said this. There are four criteria generally accepted:
  • Nine or more characters in length
  • At least one capital and one small letter
  • At least one number
  • At least one "non standard" character ( like (,#,/,),@ and so on)

And if at least three of those criteria are met, that's considered a strong password. There are suggestions on how to apply these criteria. Like substituting numbers or symbols for certain letters. I've never seen randomness used as a criterion, though, except in high-security situations where password are kept in a kind of software "vault" and changed after each use (generally referred to as OTP, or One Time Passwords).
Social:
robjvargas is online now   Reply With Quote