Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Western
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2012, 10:38 AM   #351
Dermit
Sagest of all frogs

Dermit is well-respected
The wait is finally over!

Now all we have to do is wait.

Old 03-16-2012, 11:45 AM   #352
teacher
Still weary, still wandering

teacher is a glorious beacon of lightteacher is a glorious beacon of lightteacher is a glorious beacon of light
(Drum roll)...and the winner is...

http://www.amazon.com/Happy-Cats-Det...rds=alex+mahon
Old 03-16-2012, 01:11 PM   #353
dpaterso
No one of consequence!
SuperModerator

dpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdpaterso is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Drum roll nothing, I'm still biting my fingernails trying to pick my top three! Just as well Harry isn't a prompt riser!

-Derek
Now available from Eggplant Literary Productions
“Vampyres! All I'd heard about since I'd arrived in this
damned city was vampyres!”

Also on Amazon
Old 03-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #354
Marya
In search of distractions

Marya is a shiny, shiny jewelMarya is a shiny, shiny jewel
That made me laugh, Derek. I felt guilty only sending in my choices three days ago and I could have gone on deliberating and angsting and procrastinating until now!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #355
WordCount
You don't have coffee? Go away.

WordCount is a shiny, shiny jewelWordCount is a shiny, shiny jewel
I sent mine in the day after the voting started.

I'm a quick decision maker.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:07 PM   #356
TypoToffee
practical experience, FTW

TypoToffee has a spectacular auraTypoToffee has a spectacular aura
we were supposed to vote?

Writer of naughtiness and many things wicked
Old 03-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #357
KellyAssauer
The Anti-Magdalene

KellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKellyAssauer is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffeehead View Post
we were supposed to vote?
It's no big Toffee, I voted enough to cover you.
(is joke)
Originally Posted by CassandraW View Post
What. the F. am I now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver King View Post
For Kelly, and others seeking soft asylum.
"It is only the large subjects and the big, sweeping themes that make cheap sentences possible." -Cleo Birdwell

Tears are peanut & helplessness.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:15 PM   #358
TypoToffee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyAssauer View Post
It's no big Toffee, I voted enough to cover you.
(is joke)
Aww thanks babes - glad you had my back!

Old 03-16-2012, 05:03 PM   #359
scifiwordsmith
figuring it all out

Location: Transmigrating between Earth and other points in the cosmos.
scifiwordsmith is on a distinguished road
Tick tock tick tock tick tock... The moment is near. Does anyone still have any fingernails left? Tick tock tick tock...
Old 03-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #360
onuilmar
(w)ride like the wind

onuilmar is a glorious beacon of lightonuilmar is a glorious beacon of lightonuilmar is a glorious beacon of light
I'm glad you all are so patient. Here, I'm drumming my fingers (hard).

Also, great work, Harry. And kudos to all who participated and voted. *clap, clap, clap*

Not so good with pictures (emoticons), that's why I'm trying to be a writer.
Old 03-16-2012, 05:57 PM   #361
Dave Hardy
Don't let your deal go down,

Dave Hardy is a glorious beacon of lightDave Hardy is a glorious beacon of light
This is only my 500th check of the thread since 6:45 Central Time, so you can see I'm pretty nonchalant about the whole thing.

Thanks very much Harry for your hard work on this.

In the words of Hasan i-Sabah: Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Out now, from Musa Publishing, Crazy Greta: One woman against Death, Hell, and Heaven. Tales of Phalerus the Achaean: Sword & Sorcery adventure in Bronze Age Greece.

Old 03-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #362
brad_b
Knight Errant

brad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbrad_b is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Nice turnout by the writers and voters, and a crop of very good stories to discuss coming up. Good job, Harry, and all who took part in making this a fine contest by any standard.

"Live and dream of a brighter tomorrow, but live today so as to fulfill that tomorrow."

"Not hammer strokes, but dance of the water sings the pebbles into perfection." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Still round the corner there may wait,
A new road, or a secret gate." - J.R.R. Tolkien

A Knight's Journey Into Doom Quest
Old 03-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #363
Puma
Retired and loving it!

Puma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
On the results posting time - Harry started posting the stories back on 3/1 at 11:36am EST. So we may be looking at a similar time for the results. Puma
Old 03-16-2012, 06:39 PM   #364
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'll be offline for a few hours, so I just want to say (again) what wonderful storytellers y'all are. As far as I'm concerned, there are 39 first place stories there. Congratulations to all.

A big Thank You to Harry for successfully running this cat-herding venture. To all the voters I offer my thanks for taking the time from your lives and your projects to read all the stories and for supporting your fellow writers. It's appreciated more than you know.
“Plot is people. Human emotions and desires founded on the realities of life, working at cross purposes, getting hotter and fiercer as they strike against each other until finally there’s an explosion—that’s Plot.” ~Leigh Brackett, July 1943

.Where the twit tries not to be TOO much of one.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:11 PM   #365
KatieJ
I think I'm back....

KatieJ is a glorious beacon of lightKatieJ is a glorious beacon of lightKatieJ is a glorious beacon of light
I picked the wrong week to give up biting my fingernails!

Old 03-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #366
TypoToffee

:::sucking a lollipop - looking characteristically vacant:::::::

Old 03-16-2012, 07:44 PM   #367
PorterStarrByrd
Li'l Orphan Antlers

PorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPorterStarrByrd is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
OK ... out to tap some more maple trees ... be back some time this evening probably

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo
The reason I spend so much time out of the box is that somebody crapped in it - Porter Starr Byrd
Yield to temptation, it may never come again - unknown
Old 03-16-2012, 07:45 PM   #368
TypoToffee

Harry, you tease...

Old 03-16-2012, 08:04 PM   #369
HarryHoskins
Straw-fed

HarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
VOTING CLOSED

Well done (almost) everyone!

The votes are in and I'm off to double and triple check the results. As I stated previously, the results thread will be posted sometime after 6PM GMT -- around 3 or so hours from the time of this post in Western SYW.

Please Remember

The vote spread was much wider than I anticipated, however, there are some entries which received no votes. If one of these is yours, please remember your entry was up against 40 other people and voters only had a top three to choose. Some entries were bound to be passed over and this shouldn't be seen as a reflection on your writing.

The Final Vote Tally

We didn't quite get a full house of entrant votes. As you are probably aware, J'Dubbe hasn't been on line for a while so didn't get to vote. Hopefully he is OK and I'm sure everyone here will join me in sending out their best wishes to him.

Non entrant turnout was astounding. Excellent work to all who helped promote the contest and all who took the time to read and consider the 60k of words.

67 Votes

Entrants - 39

Non-Entrants - 28

However, we have had three votes disqualified. Bringing the final eligible votes tally to 64.

Two of the ineligible votes were from members who had a join date after 16th Jan 2012. One was from an entrant -- see below.

The Spentastico Situation

Unfortunately for the contest, Spentastico (13 - New Ideas In The Old West) got himself banned last night. According to the rules he will be disqualified and his votes deemed ineligible.

I apologize on his behalf to the people who voted for him and I also apologize to those he voted for. It's a helluva shame, but that's how it goes sometimes.

His voting did not affect the outcome of the top three places in the contest and I will post who he voted for (but not include it in the final results table) later.

Where To Go Now?

Feel free to discuss and nail-bite some more in this thread. If you want to discuss the entries themselves I've opened the Entry Discussion thread in Western SYW for you to do so. Results will be posted in Western SYW in three or so hours.

Thank you all for making this a great contest and over-coming any bumps and hiccups we've had along the way.

You need not mean what you say, but you must say what you mean - Afrit

Last edited by HarryHoskins; 03-16-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:10 PM   #370
Paul
Banned for Trolling

Paul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

Great stuff. Congrats to all. great competition.
Old 03-16-2012, 08:11 PM   #371
Puma
Retired and loving it!

Puma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks for the update, Harry.

For anyone interested, Mac and I have both been trying to contact J'Dubee. It's not at all like him to disappear and miss voting in the contest. If anyone knows anything about him I might not know, please pm me. Puma
Old 03-16-2012, 08:17 PM   #372
Dave Hardy
Don't let your deal go down,

Dave Hardy is a glorious beacon of lightDave Hardy is a glorious beacon of light
I hope everything is OK with J'Dubee. He's always been a good presence on this forum.

Man, three hours Harry? If I had any nails left, I'd chew 'em off.

In the words of Hasan i-Sabah: Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Out now, from Musa Publishing, Crazy Greta: One woman against Death, Hell, and Heaven. Tales of Phalerus the Achaean: Sword & Sorcery adventure in Bronze Age Greece.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:15 AM   #373
HarryHoskins
Straw-fed

HarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHarryHoskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Having a small amount of difficulty. Hope to have things posted soon. sorry for the delay.

Old 03-17-2012, 12:19 AM   #374
Dermit
Sagest of all frogs

Dermit is well-respected
*looks up from stirring his bubbling vat of tar* what's that? delay, you say?

Old 03-17-2012, 12:22 AM   #375
HarryHoskins
Straw-fed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dermit View Post
*looks up from stirring his bubbling vat of tar* what's that? delay, you say?
Haha -- the figures weren't adding up. All sorted now, just got to make the thread. Shouldn't be more than an hour.

Closed Thread