Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > FAQs
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
BeThatAsItMay
Sockpuppet

BeThatAsItMay is on a distinguished road

I got this : You may not upload animated images.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:25 PM   #2
Medievalist
Cultus Gopherus MacAllister
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeThatAsItMay View Post
I got this : You may not upload animated images.
Yes.

Because you may not. In fact, Mac may decide that your animated sig file is a little on the large size.

Animated gifs are problems for at least two reasons:

1. They flicker and annoy many members; especially members with seizure issues.

2. They consume local resources at the users end; if the user is on an older computer and/or dialup, this can slow things down for them because of the way older browsers work.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189978

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?
Old 03-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
BeThatAsItMay
Sockpuppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medievalist View Post
Yes.

Because you may not. In fact, Mac may decide that your animated sig file is a little on the large size.
That's no problem. Size can be reduced.

Quote:

Animated gifs are problems for at least two reasons:

1. They flicker and annoy many members; especially members with seizure issues.

2. They consume local resources at the users end; if the user is on an older computer and/or dialup, this can slow things down for them because of the way older browsers work.

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189978

1 Flickers can be smoothed out. I cant believe someone gets a seizure from an animated gif

2 No one uses a dial up connections anymore

And for my avatar I just want to animate my nickname by the series of slow moving words - I pride myself on using arts - I shouldn't suffer
Old 03-05-2012, 06:45 PM   #4
Cella
freshening up

Cella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
I shouldn't suffer
but everyone else should put up with flashing signatures and avatars, lol?
Old 03-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
BeThatAsItMay
Sockpuppet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cella View Post
but everyone else should put up with flashing signatures and avatars, lol?
WWW is full of it. I guess it doesn't stop you browsing.

And the frame rate can be reduced so it is more pleasing on eyes.

Is only flashing annoying you or there is something else? I'd like to know it for my personal work with animations.

Last edited by BeThatAsItMay; 03-05-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
Cella
freshening up

Cella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCella is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
WWW is full of it. I guess it doesn't stop you browsing.

And the frame rate can be reduced so it is more pleasing on eyes.

Is only flashing annoying you or there is something else? I'd like to know it for my personal work with animations.
they remind me of adverts, really.

Old 03-05-2012, 07:11 PM   #7
BeThatAsItMay
Sockpuppet

Quote:
they remind me of adverts, really.

And they are annoying.

But it's fixed now.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #8
Cella
freshening up

sorry

Hang in there... you'll likely go through a lot of different signatures and avatars during your time here... welcome to AW, btw.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
BeThatAsItMay
Sockpuppet

Quote:
sorry

Hang in there... you'll likely go through a lot of different signatures and avatars during your time here... welcome to AW, btw.
Thx
Old 03-05-2012, 07:26 PM   #10
Medievalist
SuperModerator

Medievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMedievalist is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:

1 Flickers can be smoothed out. I cant believe someone gets a seizure from an animated gif
The problem of triggering seizures and migraines is so well known that Apple Computer and the University of California at UCLA, of two places I've worked in IT, does not allow them at all.

And, yes, they can trigger seizures.

And yes, members do complain.

Quote:
Funny, as Admin for this server, I know we have hundreds of dialup users from all over the world.

And many of them are on older computers.

Quote:
And for my avatar I just want to animate my nickname by the series of slow moving words - I pride myself on using arts - I shouldn't suffer
But you're fine with everyone else suffering for your art?

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 03-05-2012, 09:23 PM   #11
mirandashell
I was only joking! Honest!

mirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmirandashell is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
To be honest, OP, I didn't read any of your posts before now cos that bloody ball got right on my nerves. It was extremely distracting.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #12
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm glad I didn't see it. If anyone here is ever doing a migraine study, I'm your gal My triggers are almost exclusively sensory, and some will do it every single time.

I could explain what all (like animated gifs) will cause me a migraine, but folks usually find it completely boring, lol. And it's different for different folks, anyway.

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
Old 03-05-2012, 11:39 PM   #13
Tepelus

Tepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTepelus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yes, I found the red ball annoying as well. And a lot of the other animated gif's people use annoy me too. I usually scroll just far enough when I see one to avoid looking at it to read a post. And the bigger they are, the more distracting they become.

Cast Your Eyes On The Ocean,
Cast Your Soul To The Sea.
When The Dark Night Seems Endless,
Please Remember Me.

My Blog. You know you want to.
My deviantART page. I draw and photograph, too.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:14 AM   #14
Cella
freshening up

Well, BTAIM took it away, so I think he/she has gotten the point.

There are other signatures that have compelled me to turn them off altogether which is actually helpful when browsing on my phone. Sometimes I forget to turn them back on, though... Generally speaking, I like seeing what people are working on and funny quotes that people put in their sigs.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:29 AM   #15
Mac H.
Board Visitor

Mac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputationMac H. has a double-platinum reputation
It's weird why animated avatars are so annoying.

Logically, of course, I shouldn't be so annoyed by them. There is animation everywhere else. So why should they be different?

I think it's because on this board it is displayed next to the text that I'm trying to read - the post. So any animation next to it is basically saying

"LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME ..."

continually while I'm trying to read the thing adjacent to it.

It means that if I see an post with an animation next to it I just scroll past the post until it is no longer on my screen .. which may (unfortunately) mean that I miss out on the adjacent posts as well.

I know - it isn't fair. And if we were discussing ways to cure cancer then I'd be more diligent. But I read here to relax and have enjoyable conversations .. so an annoying toddler saying "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME" is just going to make me wander over to another room to relax.

It isn't as if it's migraine inducing or anything for me ... it just makes me want to go elsewhere.

Not a drama - but you can see why they'd try to prevent people from using animated avatars.

Good luck!

Mac
Old 03-06-2012, 06:35 AM   #16
Medievalist
SuperModerator

There's a reason we don't allow members to upload them . . .

AW Admin
About.Me
AWers On Twitter
Lisa L. Spangenberg
Old 03-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #17
no-man's-land
practical experience, FTW

no-man's-land is on a distinguished road
This may be a piece useful information: if you keep the flicker rate between 16 and and 25 Hz it is sort of ok and only children between 9 and 15 years of age predominantly female are effected.

So avoid places where children gather .
Old 03-08-2012, 04:51 AM   #18
BeThatAsItMay
Sockpuppet

Hello everyone thanks for feedback. I;ll see what I can do

p.s
Quote:
This message has been deleted by poetinahat. Reason: never mind, show's over, circus has left town
Thx for contributing anyway
Old 03-12-2012, 05:15 AM   #19
Russ Mars
Peace, Man!

Russ Mars has earned our admirationRuss Mars has earned our admirationRuss Mars has earned our admirationRuss Mars has earned our admiration
Quote:

"Avoid writing on topics you have no knowledge of or haven't properly researched."

From The Book of Things Writers Should Know.
When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds; your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great and wonderful world. ~ Pata˝jali

WIP Charlotte--A Novel
Click the link to my blog if you'd like to read how it all began.
Closed Thread