Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #151
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdiotsRUs View Post
To be fair, it is possible to be black and Irish (Interviewer to Phil Lynott: So, what's it like to be black and Irish? Phil Lynott: Ask a pint of Guinness. lol)

And I used to know a black guy --a Scots mum and a dad from Sierra Leone--and he had naturally red hair. (And freckles). Though that's pretty rare, I think.

But it was my impression that Red was white.
Absolutely.

I think it's Freeman's delivery of the line in the film that makes me think he's joking.

My site My twitter My facebook
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:33 PM   #152
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It might be a nod to the book?

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #153
Dr.Gonzo
Wonderfully Irreverent

Dr.Gonzo has earned our admirationDr.Gonzo has earned our admirationDr.Gonzo has earned our admirationDr.Gonzo has earned our admiration
That was my understanding of it.

-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Dr.Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #154
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdiotsRUs View Post
It might be a nod to the book?
Very probably.

And now I want a pint of Guinness.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:11 PM   #155
scarletpeaches
Banned

scarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You'll be able to buy green Guinness on the 17th March.

Morgan Freeman as a leprechaun; now there's something we'd all pay good money to see.
scarletpeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:35 PM   #156
quicklime
Seattle-bound?

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty27 View Post
I used to be quite the SK fangirl and ready to cut bitches across cyberspace about him.

The magical Negro mess in "The Green Mile" and "Shawshank Redemption" movies quite annoyed me.

Other than that,I adore him. He is one of the best writers ever and I still stan for him,though not as quite as badly as I did in the past.

I also think it is extremely freaky that the guy who hit him died on his bday.
as others mentioned downthread, I think Shawshank got "magical negro-ized" in Hollywood. (side note, I just heard the term Magical Negro" on NPR for the first time early this year.....)

as for TGM, King is very liberal. And I think he really is sensitive to race...maybe that's what messed things up--for me, I try to never blame my wife's moods on periods, pretend I know what it would be like to survive a rape, or (and I apologize, I know the comparisons are also un-flattering) to be born gay or as a minority and judged on skin color or orientation.

That doesn't mean I will only have white people in my books, but it does mean I can totally see fucking it up, either out of a sort of cluelessness and naivete or out of a sort of apologist slant. I get you being offended, and I think I can understand why his stuff came out that way....it is a somewhat difficult line to walk. I suspect he did a bit of apologist preaching and that was the end result.

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #157
seun
Horror Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletpeaches View Post
You'll be able to buy green Guinness on the 17th March.
Derail - the whole non-Irish people getting shit faced and supposedly acting Irish thing makes me cringe all over.

End derail. Carry on.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:54 PM   #158
quicklime
Seattle-bound?

quicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsquicklime is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by seun View Post
Derail - the whole non-Irish people getting shit faced and supposedly acting Irish thing makes me cringe all over.

End derail. Carry on.

you potato-farmers don't have a monopoly on alcoholism

honestly, I'm sort of with you; I think it is just an excuse to drink, but here in WI with maybe 10% of the state having some Irish ancestry the bars still get packed to capacity by like nine in the morning. Yet there's a shit-ton og German and Polish ancestry here, and there are Oktoberfest celebrations, but nothing like St. Pattys.... One day out of the year, everybody wants to be Irish (then we remember what Irish people are really like)

Three words that convey the meaning of six will always look better than twelve...
quicklime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #159
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklime View Post
as for TGM, King is very liberal. And I think he really is sensitive to race...maybe that's what messed things up--for me, I try to never blame my wife's moods on periods, pretend I know what it would be like to survive a rape, or (and I apologize, I know the comparisons are also un-flattering) to be born gay or as a minority and judged on skin color or orientation.

That doesn't mean I will only have white people in my books, but it does mean I can totally see fucking it up, either out of a sort of cluelessness and naivete or out of a sort of apologist slant. I get you being offended, and I think I can understand why his stuff came out that way....it is a somewhat difficult line to walk. I suspect he did a bit of apologist preaching and that was the end result.
*SPOILERS*
The thing with the Green Mile - if John had been white, would everyone have been so quick to assume it was him what done it (the crime he was accused of)? Would iut have been as easy to get him convicted with such flimsy evidence? Probably not, not in the time and place that occurred - Depression era (IIRC?) southern states. So while, yes, only having black people who are Magical is problematic (but better than all the black people being evil? Discuss lol) here it was sort of relevant to the plot and setting, and how everyone treated him, and maybe even a subtle little commentary . Or maybe I'm talking outta my arse again.

I agree it's a damn fine line. And I can see me fucking it up good and proper too...

ETA: England v Ireland on ST Patrick's day? Man, that's not fair....

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #160
Dr.Gonzo
Wonderfully Irreverent

Dr.Gonzo has earned our admirationDr.Gonzo has earned our admirationDr.Gonzo has earned our admirationDr.Gonzo has earned our admiration
It's a shame some people need an excuse to get wankered.

-Dr. Hunter S. Thompson
Dr.Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 05:50 PM   #161
InfiniteDreamer
Dreamer

InfiniteDreamer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Gonzo View Post
He has many WTF endings. The last page turns round and golden showers all the other pages. Pisses all over the rest of the book. Smiling while it does it. 'I am pissing on you,' the last page says.
That's exactly how I felt after watching his movie The Mist (no pun intended ) I was like WTF at the end. I was livid to the point where I contemplated sending hate mail lol
1) Shifted
2) Dex

~InfiniteDreamer A.K.A Morton Rainey~
InfiniteDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:58 PM   #162
J.W. Alden
Fire and Blood

J.W. Alden is a glorious beacon of lightJ.W. Alden is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morton Rainey View Post
That's exactly how I felt after watching his movie The Mist (no pun intended ) I was like WTF at the end. I was livid to the point where I contemplated sending hate mail lol
Actually, they changed the ending for the movie version of The Mist. The original story doesn't end anything like that.

Read me:

"The Unworthy" in Fantasy Scroll Magazine
"Child Soldier" in Daily Science Fiction
"Item Not As Described" in Unidentified Funny Objects 2
J.W. Alden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #163
InfiniteDreamer
Dreamer

InfiniteDreamer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTWriting View Post
Actually, they changed the ending for the movie version of The Mist. The original story doesn't end anything like that.
Really? I must find out how it actually ended
1) Shifted
2) Dex

~InfiniteDreamer A.K.A Morton Rainey~
InfiniteDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:29 AM   #164
Paul
Banned for Trolling

Paul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by seun View Post
From what I remember, he was named Red (in the story)due to his hair colour. Morgan Freeman makes a comment about being Irish in the film but it always struck me as him making a small joke.
You haven't seen the Commitments then?

I must confess to two things.

One: The Shinning scared the life outta me, so i stopped reading it.

Two: Dreamcatchers is crap.

that is all.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:33 AM   #165
Paul
Banned for Trolling

Paul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPaul is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by quicklime View Post
you potato-farmers don't have a monopoly on alcoholism

honestly, I'm sort of with you; I think it is just an excuse to drink, but here in WI with maybe 10% of the state having some Irish ancestry the bars still get packed to capacity by like nine in the morning. Yet there's a shit-ton og German and Polish ancestry here, and there are Oktoberfest celebrations, but nothing like St. Pattys.... One day out of the year, everybody wants to be Irish (then we remember what Irish people are really like)
lol. you mean the ugliness dont you?

and it St. Paddy's Day.
Never, never ,never St. Patty's. NEVER.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote