Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Sports and Fitness
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #1
Stew21
SuperModerator

Stew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
hunting season widows?

My husband is an avid bass fisherman and deer hunter. I am often (in season) what is referred to as a hunting or fishing widow.
He has a couple of magazine subscriptions about these sports (Field and Stream, Bassmasters, etc).

I'm curious if anyone could tell me, do you think that there is a place in these sorts of magazines for a humorous essay, or perhaps recipes for wild game? I have a couple of article ideas for two magazines in particular, and am curious if anyone knows what they are looking for enough to tell me if writing a humor essay for one of them would be something they would consider. Are they strictly the how-to's articles or do you think a bit of humor from the wife's perspecive might be well-received?

thoughts?

Thanks

My poetry pick of the week (I say that like I pick one every week; I don't) belongs to Kuwisdelu.

Last edited by Stew21; 11-29-2006 at 08:57 PM.
Stew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:40 PM   #2
aka eraser
Fish Whisperer

aka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsaka eraser is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hiya Trish. Humour (even without the "u") is always in demand. That doesn't make it an easy sell though. Check out the mags' guidelines, primarily for length requirements and the correct editor's name. For the most part, humour pieces don't need to be queried. Just send them in with a short cover letter.

I've never subbed a recipe but I've certainly seen many in various outdoor mags over the years. Again, checking guidelines or flipping through a few issues should tell you whether a particular mag would be interested.

Good luck and keep us posted.

He who conquers others is strong. He who conquers himself is mighty. - Lao Tzu
aka eraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 05:58 PM   #3
Little Red Barn
haz own threads

Little Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Hello Trish, I too am the wife of the great hunter...From Aug til Feb...all I can see in my husbands eyes are running deer. And there is talk of extending the season...yikes! My hubby as well as his friends all read FUR-FISH-Game magazine. He looks anxiously for his new monthly edition. This is really a nice well rounded mag, heck I even enjoy the stories in it. www.furfishgame.com Hope this helps, kimmi
ps, Hey Trish maybe you could speak to the editor and become a liason, for the wives of all these hunters; supplying receipes, other advice and info with your own monthly piece...I know I would like that in his magazine...just a thought..

Last edited by Little Red Barn; 11-30-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Little Red Barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 12:26 AM   #4
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
hunting

What's really cool is that hunting season and pro football season run at the same time. My wife is a double window, but doesn't complain. Since I work out of the home, we can use the time apart.
Jamesaritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 01:17 AM   #5
Del
Sky isn't falling, ground is rising

Del is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew21
My husband is an avid bass fisherman and deer hunter. I am often (in season)
Are soliciting, Stew? I don't think that is allowed here.
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2006, 07:47 PM   #6
Soccer Mom
Crypto-fascist
SuperModerator

Soccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSoccer Mom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My hubby likes to play with his bow and arrows and pretends to bow hunt. That's okay. I'm the football fanatic in the family so golf and hunting keeps him out of my hair during football season.

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think Iím disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti
Soccer Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
MichelD
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

MichelD is on a distinguished road
Hmmm

My wife is a duck hunting widow about two days a week, but she's the one that said several years ago when I was complaining about the brevity of deer season:

"Why don't you hunt ducks, they're open until the end of January?"

When I said I didn't own a shotgun she said "Get one."

Last edited by MichelD; 12-24-2006 at 03:13 AM.
MichelD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:21 PM   #8
Stew21
SuperModerator

Stew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks for all the replies!
I have a new recipe I recently made up with venison. Of course I made it up as I cooked it and it was really great (even my 2 year old ate it!) I think I am going to send that to Cabela's.
And after Christmas I will start working on the humor pieces I had in mind!

thanks for the input! Much appreciated!

Trish

My poetry pick of the week (I say that like I pick one every week; I don't) belongs to Kuwisdelu.
Stew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 11:28 PM   #9
Little Red Barn
haz own threads

Little Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLittle Red Barn is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew21
Thanks for all the replies!
I have a new recipe I recently made up with venison. Of course I made it up as I cooked it and it was really great (even my 2 year old ate it!) I think I am going to send that to Cabela's.
And after Christmas I will start working on the humor pieces I had in mind!

thanks for the input! Much appreciated!

Trish
Oh Oh Trish, send it to me too, please...I always need new receipes, hugs kimmi
Old 12-21-2006, 05:04 AM   #10
Silver King
Megalops Erectus
AW Moderator

Silver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSilver King is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If there's one thing many outdoor magazines lack is stories from female writers. The best ones I've seen sympathize with the males' plight, yet bring strong feminine perspectives to counter-balance most gender issues that arise in the field and at home.

And when you add humor, well, often it's a winning touch.
Silver King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:31 AM   #11
MJK
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

MJK is on a distinguished road
Two of the most popular columns ever run in Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing Guide have been written by women. One was humorous and the other is a fitness column.
MJK is offline   Reply With Quote