Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > AW's IRC Chat
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2010, 05:56 AM   #26
Synonym
This too will come, someday...

Synonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I once stumbled upon the SF chat and participated. I've tried to go back on and I can't find the damned room.

I don't remember it being quite so difficult before, or I've lost some very important brain cells since then.

So, where did you hide it?

Synonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #27
SaraP
Daydreaming of love...
AW Moderator

SaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It hasn't been going on, Syn.

There has been some interest in reviving it, though, so keep a lookout for an update regarding that.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

It takes strength to be gentle and kind

The Smiths

Life getting you down? Come get a pick-me-up.
SaraP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #28
MrWrite
On a Classical groove!

Location: There's a classical music concert going on in my head!
MrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMrWrite is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Syno the other thing is the room no longer shows on the rooms list for some reason. When you sign on you have to type /join #absolutewrite. That's assuming you go on through IRC of course.

My new blog:
https://iwritepsychicwitness.wordpre...ink-of-an-eye/

I tweet: @PsychicWitness
@4paths2wellness

My website: www.4pathstowellness.com
MrWrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 02:07 AM   #29
Synonym
This too will come, someday...

Synonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSynonym is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ah, that might be my problem. I'd log on and couldn't even find AW's chat room.

Thank you MrWrite, for actually being helpful. (loads of sarcasm )

Synonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:31 AM   #30
Karen Junker
Live a little. Write a lot.

Karen Junker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKaren Junker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKaren Junker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKaren Junker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKaren Junker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKaren Junker is better than ice cream with hot fudgeKaren Junker is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Hey, there! I got a new computer and now, when I click on the link to the chatroom, the StarChat page is blank -- when I go to mIRC, there's no one else there! Help!
Karen Junker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:16 AM   #31
Kitty Pryde
i luv you giant bear statue
AW Moderator

Kitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKitty Pryde is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think it might be cool if we had our own little online NaNoWriMo kick-off party in chat. With write-offs and general craziness? IRL there are kick-off parties at 12:01 am November 1st, but I think lots of folks (err, like me) are not really up for traipsing about in the middle of the night. I know we're all on different time zones, but still, it would be fun.
Kitty Pryde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:20 AM   #32
Fenika
practical experience, FTW

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We could all sorts of NaNo fun in chat

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Fenika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 10:52 AM   #33
SaraP
Daydreaming of love...
AW Moderator

SaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments

(Just practicing writing the smiley code, ya know )

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 10-14-2010, 11:49 PM   #34
Fulk
Occasional Contributer

Fulk has a spectacular aura
Yep, there's still some interest in getting the SF chats going. The biggest issue has been trying to garner enough interest and volunteers, and find a time that works well for most/all involved (a very hard thing to do in a community this large).

KP: I think a NaNo party would be all kinds of fun. I'm definitely up for such a thing.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 AM   #35
littlebear91
Never Let Go

littlebear91 is on a distinguished road
I wonder why we can't just use chatango or make our own chatroom? More hassle through IRC?
Old 10-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #36
Lauretta
In the fantasy word.

Lauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebear91 View Post
I wonder why we can't just use chatango or make our own chatroom? More hassle through IRC?
Hey Littlebear you can open your own chatroom if you wish, it's not a problem. We, AW OPs, do not stop people from doing so.

My shiny and sparkling blog!
Lauretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:35 AM   #37
Pthom

Pthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Chatango is a flash-based chat site. As such, it is browser-dependent. It is different than java chats (which don't work very well) and looks a bit like the early browser-based IRC chat rooms (such as used by MSN back when there were MSN Groups). But it is based on Flash, a video-compression format owned by Adobe, Inc. YouTube and Hulu use Flash to compress their video content.

Chatango may be convenient as a social networking tool, but it is insufficient as a robust chat environment. We have yet to discover a chat environment that surpasses IRC (Internet Relay Chat) in features, controls, flexibility and security. IRC is available to any computer operating system that supports TCP/IP networking; i.e., every currently popular OS: Windows, OSX, Linux.

#AbsoluteWrite is an IRC chat channel WE created on the StarChat.net servers to enable real-time communication between Absolute Write members, to hold interviews with prominent personalities, and to host regular discussion groups.

As Lauretta says, it is simple to create a chat channel in IRC for personal or small group use. In fact, there are several such in StarChat right now. You can register your channel and it will remain there as long as it is used at least once a month. But you can create a channel for temporary use, as well, by entering one line of simple code: type /join [channel name] and you will be installed as the operator of that channel. If you do not register it, once the room is empty of chatters, it ceases to exist. I can't think of anything with fewer hassles than that.

Last edited by Pthom; 10-21-2010 at 10:02 AM.
Pthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:56 PM   #38
SaraP
Daydreaming of love...
AW Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Pryde View Post
I think it might be cool if we had our own little online NaNoWriMo kick-off party in chat. With write-offs and general craziness? IRL there are kick-off parties at 12:01 am November 1st, but I think lots of folks (err, like me) are not really up for traipsing about in the middle of the night. I know we're all on different time zones, but still, it would be fun.
I started a thread in the NaNo Sub-forum, here.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 05-01-2011, 07:45 PM   #39
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thanks Ariel! I'll bring it to the board & chat Ops. (Well, actually, you just did. )

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #40
caspermac

caspermac is on a distinguished road
I was wondering whether there was a room for discussing 'lost' books, books where you can remember the plot but not the author or title?
caspermac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:31 PM   #41
Sophia
AW Moderator

Sophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by caspermac View Post
I was wondering whether there was a room for discussing 'lost' books, books where you can remember the plot but not the author or title?
There isn't a dedicated chat room for questions, but please feel free to pose any question related to writing or books in the main AW room. I'm sure the chatters there would like to try to help you.

You're also welcome to post your question in the AW Bookclub. Similar threads crop up quite often; it's no trouble.
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #42
catian
Learning to read more, post less

catian is well-respected
I am new here. I was just wondering if there is a chat/lounge type where members can talk about general topics, general knowledge and everyday life.
Thanks!
'an adjective can sustain an enormous deal over a word, call in the neutral for a dash of normal'

'the world must upgrade in mentality'
catian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 04:45 PM   #43
SaraP
Daydreaming of love...
AW Moderator

There is. You can find all the info you need here. We suggest folks use their AW nick, to make it easier for us to identify them, but it is not necessary.

Bear in mind that a lot of conversations revolve around writing-related subjects, but our chat room is, for the most part, a very relaxed and laid-back sort of place -- perfect for hanging out with fellow AW'ers.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 02-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #44
catian
Learning to read more, post less

catian is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraP View Post
There is. You can find all the info you need here. We suggest folks use their AW nick, to make it easier for us to identify them, but it is not necessary.

Bear in mind that a lot of conversations revolve around writing-related subjects, but our chat room is, for the most part, a very relaxed and laid-back sort of place -- perfect for hanging out with fellow AW'ers.
SaraP thank you very much
'an adjective can sustain an enormous deal over a word, call in the neutral for a dash of normal'

'the world must upgrade in mentality'
catian is offline   Reply With Quote