Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-30-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
thekingsguard
Soldier, Scholar, Writer, WebVoyeur

thekingsguard is on a distinguished road
Modern Whig Party

I write for thier site, so I just gotta ask, is any one else here a member? Or for that matter, heard of them?
Old 01-30-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Zoombie
Vengeful Crystaline Hawk 45C
AW Moderator

Zoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsZoombie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Wait, the Whigs are back? What's their platform!?

(Cause the closest thing to knowing what a Whig is is reading Harry Turtledove's Timeline 191 universe)

Shard Series: Worldshard (being beta'd), Lifeshard (done!), Soulshard (Done!), Peaceshard (43k/80k)

Invasion 2071 (With Editors)

Read my blog: Quantum Spin Plates

BUY MY BOOK HERE!
Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Shadow Dragon
the philosophical pegasus

Shadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolness
Yeah, I've heard of them. The party platform seems very pragmatic and I like it. However, until they start getting people in major offices (or into the house of representives) I can't really support them. I want to see what their people will actually do in a position of power.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Upper class, privileged, slightly to the left of far right, wring their hands while they destroy the lives of the poor? That kind of Whig? They're currently in power in the UK.
Priene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:18 PM   #5
Shadow Dragon
the philosophical pegasus

Shadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolnessShadow Dragon leaves trails of profuse coolness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priene View Post
Upper class, privileged, slightly to the left of far right, wring their hands while they destroy the lives of the poor? That kind of Whig? They're currently in power in the UK.
In the US, the Whig Party has always been a moderate party. Still probably a bit conservative by Western European standards, but not the far right. In fact they're down right liberal compared to many of the current republicans.

Here's the official website explanation of their views:
http://www.modernwhig.org/handbook/w...where-we-stand

Some of it sounds good on paper, but I'll wait to see how they behave as a group if they're members ever get into a position of power.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Priene
Out to lunch

Priene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPriene is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Dragon View Post
In the US, the Whig Party has always been a moderate party. Still probably a bit conservative by Western European standards, but not the far right. In fact they're down right liberal compared to many of the current republicans.

Here's the official website explanation of their views:
http://www.modernwhig.org/handbook/w...where-we-stand

Some of it sounds good on paper, but I'll wait to see how they behave as a group if they're members ever get into a position of power.
Well, maybe I was being a little unfair when I called them 'slightly to the left of the far right.' Way back when, the Whigs and the Tories were the two main British parties, and the Whigs were generally to the left of the Tories, though this was Victorian times and before, when left and right meant rather different things (notably because the electorate were all rich or middle class). The Liberal party supposedly grew out of the Whigs, though it wasn't that simple. They were an aristocratic party which lost its electoral base by passing the First Reform Act, and their party migrated towards the middle class and became the 'Liberals'. The last time I know of it being used in UK politics was the 'Hartington Whigs', who split from the Liberals over Home Rule for Ireland.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #7
Lucas
practical experience, FTW

Lucas is on a distinguished road
Sounds like a silly idea.

The United States with the FPTP system doesn't have a place for a(nother) centrist party. Especially not a party named after a particular male fashion that died out in the early half of the 19th century.

US politics are more fractured today, and I believe that genuine third parties will emerge before 2030, but it will be hard to break the two-party monopoly.

I would believe there's room for a Latino-based party however.
Lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Calling robovowels.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:27 PM   #9
Priene
Out to lunch

Funny that a term which originally meant a Scottish cattle-driver should come via constitutional monarchism to a variant of centrism. A bit like Goth being passed down from Alaric to the cathedrals to Bram Stoker to Evanescence. Funny old thing, language.

This new American incarnation doesn't stand much of a chance, I would think. But Camer-Clegg should definitely adopt it, if only so we can resurrect the term whiggery.
Old 01-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #10
Lucas

Americans Elect is a far more interesting phenomenon. It could mean that 2012 will be either a three-man race or a four-man race.

http://www.americanselect.org/
Old 01-30-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
Don
All Living is Local

Don is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDon is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Americans Elect is a far more interesting phenomenon. It could mean that 2012 will be either a three-man race or a four-man race.

http://www.americanselect.org/
You may want to check their background, major financiers, and control over selection of the candidate before you get too enthused.

Economics puts parameters on people’s utopias. ~Peter Boettke
The 'social contract' is to the politician what 'original sin' is to the priest. ~Don
The vision of the helpful and protective state is the most pervasive and counter-productive ideology in the world today. ~Don
The State represents violence in a concentrated and organized form. ~Mahatma Gandhi
The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie.~Karl Marx

I tend to blame the Feds for Don, actually.
If they'd get it right, we wouldn't need Don pointing out that they'd gotten it wrong.
~ Medievalist
Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 06:00 PM   #12
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellectual (AWFI)

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
Calling robovowels.
I'm not a "modern" Whig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priene View Post
Upper class, privileged, slightly to the left of far right, wring their hands while they destroy the lives of the poor? That kind of Whig?
Yes, only with less hand-wringing.

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

A unanimous SCOTUS smackdown on Presidential power-grabbing...or is it?

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #13
Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
You may want to check their background, major financiers, and control over selection of the candidate before you get too enthused.
Probably, but I am not an American citizen, so I wouldn't hopefully be too influenced by this (unless you decide to bomb Sweden). It is an interesting phenomenon however.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:05 AM   #14
AncientEagle
Old kid, no need to be gentle.

AncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAncientEagle is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
Sounds like a silly idea.

The United States with the FPTP system doesn't have a place for a(nother) centrist party. Especially not a party named after a particular male fashion that died out in the early half of the 19th century.

US politics are more fractured today, and I believe that genuine third parties will emerge before 2030, but it will be hard to break the two-party monopoly.

I would believe there's room for a Latino-based party however.
I assume you're talking about the wearing of "wigs?" Not quite the same thing as "Whigs."

Or was that supposed to be a joke and it was too subtle for me? In my part of the southern U.S., we don't pronounce the two words the same.
Old 01-31-2012, 05:19 AM   #15
clintl
Represent.

clintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclintl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by robeiae View Post
I'm not a "modern" Whig.

Yes, only with less hand-wringing.
So you're still hoping for the resurrection of William Henry Harrison?
clintl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:49 AM   #16
robeiae
AW's Foremost Intellectual (AWFI)

robeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsrobeiae is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Tippecanoe and Tyler, too!

Learning to run, T'ai Chi style--blogging about running and Eastern philosophy
Ponds of Happenstance--blogging about politics, economics, and history
Sailor on the Ponds--tweeting about everything

A unanimous SCOTUS smackdown on Presidential power-grabbing...or is it?

Breathing during a run: find your center and run from within
More on the Altra Zero Drop shoe
robeiae is offline   Reply With Quote