Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Religious and Spiritual Writing > Other
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2012, 06:15 AM   #1
Vedren
Banned

Vedren is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Where do I belong?

Ya know, as I browse this forum, I honestly don't see a big market for my kind of work--if any at all. Actually, none. So, where do I stand?

What genre of work do I have?
Where should I be?
How should I market my work?

I write urban fiction. But what is that? I write about romance, but it features Blacks & Hispanics. Would it just be considered Romance or Fiction Life (Whatever), or would it be Urban Fiction?

I'm lost. Please help.
Oh, also wrote one Hood book. Won't even dare to bring that here. Hehehe!
Vedren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #2
CChampeau
The ever absent-minded

CChampeau is on a distinguished road
Not familiar with the market side of things, but I can tell, IMO and from a philosophical point of view, African descent/Hispanic work should have a good following out there. Again, I'll leave it to the experts to detail what the market is like.

"The truth will set you free."
CChampeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #3
backslashbaby
That's really my dog :)

backslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbackslashbaby is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's a good question (although I suck at knowing genres, seriously, so I'm not much help).

Does your work feature the Romance elements readers always want in that genre? I know Happily Ever After is one I've heard.

Did you just Godwin a 4 year old?
-- Celia Cyanide

I've walked these streets in the madhouse, asylum they can be
Where a wild-eyed misfit prophet on a traffic island stopped
And he raved of saving me

Please donate: http://www.karmakrew.com/outreachprograms.asp
backslashbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:06 AM   #4
Vedren
Banned

My books aren't always Happily Ever After. It's more True life events that involves partnership between two people (love).
Old 01-18-2012, 02:33 AM   #5
dolores haze
ageing savage

dolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdolores haze is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My husband works in a school with mostly black and hispanic students. The females, in particular, read a lot of short novels that sound like the kind of thing you're writing. I'm no expert, but it seems like a small niche with loyal readers. I borrowed a couple to read. Wasn't my cup of tea, but my husband says they get bought, passed around and traded like crazy.

Take a look at the books you're reading in this genre. Who is publishing it? Make a list of the publishers.

Who is writing these books? Do the authors have websites/blogs?

If your romance ends happily ever after or, at least, happy for now, then it would be considered by romance publishers. If the characters are very young, there's probably some YA publishers who would consider it.

Hope this helps a little!
dolores haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:38 AM   #6
Perks
delicate #!&@*#! flower

Perks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPerks is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Sounds like it could be contemporary fiction with strong romantic elements.

If you're asking for querying purposes, you can find books that strike you as similar in tone and direction and look to see if the author includes her agent in the acknowledgements, or check Publishers Marketplace for agents who sell to those houses.
Perks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:42 AM   #7
Vedren
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perks View Post
Sounds like it could be contemporary fiction with strong romantic elements.

If you're asking for querying purposes, you can find books that strike you as similar in tone and direction and look to see if the author includes her agent in the acknowledgements, or check Publishers Marketplace for agents who sell to those houses.

Thanks, this helps!