Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2011, 08:48 PM   #1
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Write Agenda

This is one of those "words fail" sorts of situations, so I'll simply quote Writer Beware re: The Agenda of "The Write Agenda":

Quote:
Some of you may be aware that for the past few months, a group calling itself The Write Agenda has been attempting to wage a disinformation campaign against Writer Beware and other anti-scam activists.
More information via Making Light: The Write Agenda: The wrong company to keep

And some commentary from current SFWA President John Scalzi: Writer Beware and “The Write Agenda”

I'm not posting a link to the actual site in question both to deprive them of the Google juice and because it throws up malware warnings.
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:

Last edited by CaoPaux; 10-04-2011 at 08:50 PM.
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
twm
Sockpuppet

twm is on a distinguished road
They're targeting a lot of folks on here on the forums.
twm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:42 PM   #3
DeadlyAccurate
Absolutely Fazed

DeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputationDeadlyAccurate has a double-platinum reputation
A lot of what I'm seeing on the site sounds libelous.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by twm View Post
They're targeting a lot of folks on here on the forums.
They are indeed. We must have got them rattled. Ha!
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 09:57 PM   #5
Terie
Writer is as Writer does

Terie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTerie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm just bummed -- BUMMED, I say! -- that I'm not on the boycott list.

Hey, Write Agenda, it's Terie Garrison.

The DragonSpawn Cycle: AutumnQuest | WinterMaejic | SpringFire | SummerDanse available for Kindle

Author website | Author blog
Terie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
priceless1
Banned

priceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthoodpriceless1 is a candidate for sainthood
I'm dismayed that a group of people can expend that much energy on sustaining that much anger. How woefully pathetic.
priceless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #7
twm
Sockpuppet

twm is on a distinguished road
Put me on the list! Thomas W. Masters. PLEASE.
twm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:23 PM   #8
Sheryl Nantus
Holding out for a Superhero...

Location: Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second Life!
Sheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSheryl Nantus is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I feel so unloved...

Sheryl Nantus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
Ari Meermans
MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
AW Moderator

Ari Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAri Meermans is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
*le sigh* Yet another prize I'm not eligible for 'til I'm published.
Ari Meermans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Oooo, I must get on their boycott list as soon as possible. Free advertising!
Filigree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 10:47 PM   #11
IceCreamEmpress
Hapless Virago

IceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIceCreamEmpress is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I am ultra-jelly that I am not being boycotted. On the other hand, it makes me feel like I have done a good job of not making my name easy to find (which I do here because I want to be completely careful about not giving anyone the impression that I offer advice here in the service of looking for private editing clients).

Find me at
BookTweeting on Twitter
for a book review a day, every day!
JUST LAUNCHED:
EbookCheapskate,
where you'll find reviews of
free and cheap ebooks (under $5 US)!
IceCreamEmpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
Theo81
Benefactor Member

Theo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputationTheo81 has a double-platinum reputation
Theo81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #13
thothguard51
A Gentleman of a refined age...

thothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthothguard51 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You know, the tone of The Write Agenda blogs reminds me of someone who used to post here, but I can't remember their user name.

As far as exposing anything that might be remotely helpful to unsuspecting writers just entering the publishing industry, its very apparent that they do have an agenda, and its not to help the writer avoid the publishing pit falls and scammers... IMHO...

Currently working on...

From, The Tales of Netherron,
Book 1, A Game of Pawns
Book 2, Pawn takes Queen,
Book 3, Pawn's Gambit,

In the pipeline,
Children of Netherron, follow up trilogy
Guardians of Netherron, prequel trilogy

http://nickanthony51.wordpress.com (on hiatus)

Nick Anthony
thothguard51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #14
bettielee
Just a regular Fairy Princess

bettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbettielee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My response to this was, aren't wanna-be writers supposed to be, you know, writing? Rather than boycotting people?

Currently NaNoing: The Heroine from Hampshire - gothic romance maybe... kinda

To edit:
The Vampire Baron - gothic romance - needs editing
Nocturnelle - gothic romance - first draft
The Last Hunter - fantasy - soaking
Endways of the Gods - fantasy mish/mash - might be garbage

To Betas
Dreadlight - Urban Fantasy

Writing Blog: New Years and SHERLOCK LIVES!

Books with Bettielee Blog: taking a break from the bookblog....

Twitter

bettielee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:36 AM   #15
Bicyclefish
Pedaling Pescado

Bicyclefish has a spectacular auraBicyclefish has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by thothguard51 View Post
You know, the tone of The Write Agenda blogs reminds me of someone who used to post here, but I can't remember their user name.
I was reminded of JRTurner and these people. Don't think it's either, but the latter is good for a chuckle.

Writer & Artist of Brainfuzz (on hiatus): http://www.drunkduck.com/Brainfuzz/

Last edited by Bicyclefish; 10-05-2011 at 01:51 AM.
Bicyclefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #16
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

Filigree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFiligree is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yes, but there are the various stages of rejection that newer writers have to go through, first. I'm sure someone else on AW has codified the stages.

Some people get rejected a few million times, and understandably get their egos hung up on blaming everyone else for their own ignorance, bad writing or research, or simple bad luck. Along the lines of Cartman saying 'I hate you guys!'

Hell, I went through that stage. About eighteen years ago, before life decided to teach me several object lessons. Including the fact that I wasn't nearly as great a writer as I thought I was. I only improved when I let go of the conspiracy theories about editors and agents.

What's sad are the sites like TWA, who aim to make money and network contacts off writers who are still looking for The Magic Formula.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:54 AM   #17
Old Hack
crazy mean
SuperModerator

Old Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOld Hack is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't think it's helpful to spend our time speculating on who might be behind The Write Agenda: I bet that the people who need to know who it is already do, and we don't want to risk starting an argument by accusing people who have nothing to do with this particular nastiness, right?
Old Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:05 AM   #18
Filigree
Mildly Disturbing

I agree. It's safer to point and laugh, and then go on to something constructive. Like writing.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:46 AM   #19
Stacia Kane
Girl Detective
AW Moderator

Stacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStacia Kane is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I too am devastated to not see my name on the boycott list.

*resolves to work harder*

WRONG WAYS DOWN available now!

"...in Wrong Ways Down, Kane masterfully peels back layers unseen through Chess' point of view. Through Terrible's eyes, Kane walks readers on a thin line, riding the rough and yet poetic cadence of how he speaks and thinks--and in doing so, she reveals a layer to him, Chess and the underbelly of his world not seen before."

--Lauren Dane, NYT & USA TODAY bestseller
Stacia Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:03 AM   #20
jaksen
Caped Codder

jaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthoodjaksen is a candidate for sainthood
Well I recently got someone upset (on AW) with my comments with regard to PA. So they're out there (and in here.)

But I'm too little a writer to make anyone's list.

Eeyore was saying to himself, “This writing business. Pencils and what-not. Over-rated if you ask me. Silly stuff. Nothing in it.” A.A. Milne
jaksen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:39 AM   #21
Polenth
Mushroom

Polenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPolenth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari Meermans View Post
*le sigh* Yet another prize I'm not eligible for 'til I'm published.
Based on the Writer Beware comments, there's at least one person on the list who isn't a published author.

Website | Blog | Twitter | Goodreads
Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel
Polenth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:58 AM   #22
JulieB
I grow my own catnip

JulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admirationJulieB has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polenth View Post
Based on the Writer Beware comments, there's at least one person on the list who isn't a published author.
A friend of mine made it on the list because he commented on the Facebook page of one of the authors on the list. The friend is not an author at all, and does not (as far as I know) even aspire to publication, though he's an avid reader. Go figure.
JulieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:40 AM   #23
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
After my activity on Twitter and FaceBook tonight, I should be on the list any day now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:45 AM   #24
Richard White
Writer Beware's Faithful Igor

Richard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for PresidentRichard White should run for President
And another list I fail to make.

And I'm actually a member of Writer Beware.

*le sigh*

Back to being the invisible member.
Richard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:56 AM   #25
Queen of Swords
starting over

Queen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsQueen of Swords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I made the list. Maybe they'll buy lots of copies of my book to burn.

Of course, this is "The Write Agenda", so they'll probably buy e-copies.

"...if you don’t want to read a book about a woman who has a pet Great White Shark, you are dead to me."
Queen of Swords is online now   Reply With Quote