Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #1
Juliette Wade
Interprets for aliens

Juliette Wade has a spectacular aura
Call for subs to ongoing Worldbuilding Workshop

If you're worldbuilding and/or language designing for your WIP and you'd like feedback, I've just started an ongoing workshop called "Wednesday Worldbuilding Workshop" over at my blog. I take 500 word submissions and discuss them in depth. Information about how to submit is here. Examples of the first two week's submissions can be found here, and here, for those who are curious.

Thanks to moderator ChaosTitan who gave me permission to post this, since it's particularly relevant to science fiction and fantasy folk!

Do pass this on to any of your friends who may be interested. I hope to see you over there.
My blog about language and culture in SF/F: http://talktoyouniverse.blogspot.com
Juliette Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 01:53 AM   #2
MJNL
A Little Lost

MJNL is a glorious beacon of lightMJNL is a glorious beacon of lightMJNL is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks, sounds interesting. I'll head over for a look :-)

Recent Publications:

A Debt Repaid, Lightspeed Magazine, WDSF
Dateline: Sesen, Star Citizen Spectrum Dispatch

Blog *Twitter* Art * AV
MJNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:01 AM   #3
sunandshadow
Impractical Fantasy Animal

sunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for Presidentsunandshadow should run for President
I don't get it - if it's about worldbuilding, why take submissions of 500 words of story? Wouldn't it make more sense to take submissions of 500 words of non-fiction describing the worldbuilding? If I picked the first 500 words of one of my stories there would be hardly any worldbuilding in there.
sunandshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #4
CheG
practical experience, FTW

CheG has a spectacular auraCheG has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandshadow View Post
I don't get it - if it's about worldbuilding, why take submissions of 500 words of story? Wouldn't it make more sense to take submissions of 500 words of non-fiction describing the worldbuilding? If I picked the first 500 words of one of my stories there would be hardly any worldbuilding in there.
The world building, however much you have of it written down is only functional in the context of the story. If the story fails to convey all the world building that's been done in a seperate document then the manuscript has failed. Readers of your book will probably never see all the world buiding you've done. Their only knowledge will come from the text. So the world building needs to be apparent in the manuscript.

P.S. I gotta send some words in!! HOW do we submit? Just e-mail it in to you?

Got it! Sent my exceprt! This is fun! I hope I get picked

Website
Gallery
Facebook
Carmine Rojas available now
Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight is---'An explosive mix of gangsters, guns, monsters, magic and mayhem, with dark and gritty action that right-hooks you from page one. Wonderful!' --- Suzanne McLeod, author of the Spellcrackers urban fantasy series.

Last edited by CheG; 01-14-2011 at 05:48 AM.
CheG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:54 AM   #5
Juliette Wade
Interprets for aliens

Getting back to you... Thanks for your interest, Marina!

Sunandshadow, the idea of the workshop is to take a look at these small excerpts and see what kind of information from the writer's vision has actually made it onto the page. It's particularly useful for considering world entry issues. I'd encourage you to take a look at the opening workshop discussions to see more precisely what I'm doing.

CheG, thanks for you interest! You can submit in my comments area on the blog, here.
My blog about language and culture in SF/F: http://talktoyouniverse.blogspot.com
Old 01-27-2011, 08:38 AM   #6
Juliette Wade
Interprets for aliens

Just following up to let Che Gilson know - you're up! Thanks so much for sending in your submission. I enjoyed working with it. The link is here.