Kindles for Christmas?

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Recently I saw an ad for Kindle showing a kid getting one for a Christmas gift. Curious as to what folks think of this-for myself, I think it's a great idea. I've got a couple of reluctant readers at home, and I'm wondering if putting a book on an e-reader would make it more appealing (plus I'll admit to some self-interest, as I've got a YA book coming out in e-book form in 2011 :)). Thoughts?

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
If you can afford it, I think it's a great idea. However, for now, I've had trouble finding the books my son likes in e-book format for download. As long as the YA and MG books my kids like are quickly becoming available, I think it's great. If you can't get the titles they want, it's too early to buy them the reader.

I'm getting a Kindle for Christmas!

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
plus there is a ton of classic books that are free for the kindle which expand the available titles. I bought one last year as a gift and got one this year for myself. If I knew more readers on my christmas list they'd definitely be getting one. I love mine.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I'm buying Kobos for people...I like it more than other ereaders. Just bought one for my brother last Saturday...for his birthday. He loves it.

Shara

Fix it in the Rewrite
Registered
Reaction score
Another interesting fact to bear in mind here is apparently Amazon's best sales day for Kindle books last year was December 25 - a day book stores are closed. People got their Kindles for Christmas, and then spent the time while waiting for their turkey to cook downloading the books they wanted to read on it.

One of the appeals, I think, of all e-readers is that books are instantly available for reading once downloaded.

I think it's an excellent idea (but admit to a bias, as an e-book author). Let's turn everyone on to e-books by buying them e-readers as Christmas gifts...

Shara

FranYoakumVeal

Simple gal, complex mind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
franveal.com
Don't forget to check out the Nook. It has some features not offered on Kindle. For instance, the screen is touchscreen instead of a keyboard. Also, the Nook lets you upload any file that is in PDF format, which broadens the reading opportunities. Plus, you can walk into any B&N store if you have a problem with it AND B&N lets you "browse" the eBook shelf while you are in the store.

Side note: I use mine to upload my WIP so I can do a read through as if I were a first time reader.

P.S. My daughter fights me for use of my Nook. I'm sure that would apply to any eReader.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I work part time at the local B&N and I've had the e-ink black and white nook since February, which I love love love.

Last night I went to work, and the recieving department was unpacking the new nookcolor gizmo. I didn't think I'd be interested in it, but it's pretty damn cool.

WANT.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Also, the Nook lets you upload any file that is in PDF format, which broadens the reading opportunities...
Side note: I use mine to upload my WIP so I can do a read through as if I were a first time reader.
You can do this on the Kobo and Kindle also.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
You can do this on the Kobo and Kindle also.

Yep. I have all my WIPs on my kobo. I find I catch a LOT more on the small screen. My focus narrows, so I become a better editor of my own writing.

I have also edited other writers' books on my kobo. (note...I make notes on paper...there is not an editing function on the kobo...but i find it immensely helpful)

Daddyo

been around a while
Registered
Reaction score
My wife and grown daughters went in together and bought me a Kindle for my b-day in October. I don't think that I would have ever bought one for myself. My dear mother gave me fifty dollars on the same day--so I load it up right off the bat. I think it'd be a great gift. As a side note-I sat down with a visit with the local high school librarian as week and she pointed out a shipment of Kindles that she just go in for classroom use.

Oh, and yeah...I put my novel on the Kindle in the middle of the third round of publisher edits and caught 61 typos that I had not noticed before. Could not believe it.

Jax3683

writing around the edges of life
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I wouldn't do a Kindle for a kid.

Depending on their age, I'd do an iPod touch. I let my daughter (2) and my nephew (10) both use mine for reading. I have the Kindle app, for actual ebooks for my nephew. I also have several picture books downloaded (non-kindle app) that read out loud to my 2 year old. It's been great for long car trips, when I'm driving alone with her.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I think for younger kids, an e-reader is definitely not a great idea. However, if I cave and buy myself a nookcolor, I'm immediately giving my old nook to my soon-to-be 11-year-old daughter, who really wants one. She's responsible and thoughtful, and I know she'd take good care of it. The main thing is that she wouldn't be able to take it to school, because other kids are goobers.

FranYoakumVeal

Simple gal, complex mind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
franveal.com
Wouldn't it be great if schools used eReaders for our kids instead of them having to lug 30 pounds of books around all the time? My daughter (7th grade) was sick last week and it took two kids to bring the books to the office for me. The stack was almost two feet tall!

I realize that probably isn't completely practical, but...

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
If the child is not a reader, jazzing up the books by putting them on an eReader won't change that fact. Seems like it might be a waste of money. Until the child proves to me they enjoy reading, I wouldn't spend over $100 in the hopes that they might.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't it be great if schools used eReaders for our kids instead of them having to lug 30 pounds of books around all the time? My daughter (7th grade) was sick last week and it took two kids to bring the books to the office for me. The stack was almost two feet tall!

I realize that probably isn't completely practical, but...

Texas Bar books has started making things available on the Kindle. Soon, all my legal books can be on my Kindle. :snoopy:

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Just came back to this thread-thanks for the feedback, everyone!

I think I'm going to get an e-reader for my daughter-she's ten, and lately she's been taking more of an interest in certain topics and authors (and hey, if she doesn't use it, guess who'll be the lucky recipient? ;).

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
Do it! It could be the start of Something Big!
(Love my Kindle, and want everyone to read like me! Well, want everyone to enjoy it as I do, anyway...)

ResearchGuy

Resident Curmudgeon
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.umbachconsulting.com
I'd buy one for my wife for Xmas (she is a constant reader, and we read many of the same books -- mystery cozies in particular), but she has not seemed enthused. (We have countless printed books, many as yet unread.) It would end up being the sort of thing I think she should enjoy rather than something she would actually want to use, so I'll probably take a pass. Bummer, in a way, as I already have bought many Kindle downloads she would like too -- mysteries and classics -- and that she could instantly download to a Kindle that is attached to my Amazon account.

Grandkids (7 - 10) are still a tad too young, I think. Maybe in a year or two.

--Ken

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Texas Bar books has started making things available on the Kindle. Soon, all my legal books can be on my Kindle. :snoopy:

THIS is where I see the big future for reading devices. For professionals to carry around entire libraries on a single device...

Lawyers,
Doctors,
Engineers,
Educators,
Scienctist,

But...I doubt these companies would make enough money without the average readers also chipping in on manufactoring these gizmos...

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
I might also add, that I recently read where Amazon is making giving Kindle books as gifts available. You purchase the book, note who it is for, give their email address and Amazon sends them a notice telling them they have a Kindle gift waiting. I think Barnes and Noble already does this with the Nook...