Happy Thanksgiving JPG

Happy Thanksgiving!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > AW Writing Lab > Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2010, 01:02 AM   #1
Pthom
practical experience, FTW

Pthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Arrow Word Wars!

I went to the chat room today, just to make sure the lights were on and people there were comfy and all, and to my surprise, found it full of people in the midst of a battle.

At least, they were shouting to one another “WAR!” and “Go Go go!” and other loud exclamations. Then there would be long periods (long for a chat room, that is) where no one said anything.

Finally, someone shouted “TIME!”

I had to ask. And I was informed that they were playing a “Word War.”

Again, I had to ask. A word war, I was told, is where two or more participants agree to a start time and a time limit and then write like mad to see who can achieve the largest word count.

Sounded like fun. (The highest count I saw was 938 words--in one hour, I believe.) Fortunately for me, there was enough interest in doing another war and I decided to join in. This time, the time limit was 30 minutes.

I managed 600 words before the 30 minutes were up. Another player produced 673 words. The winner managed to write 760! I chalk up my poor performance to writing with my internal editor on.

But it was fun! There is no posting the results, but we chatted a little about what we wrote and shared favorite passages.

Part of what we talked about was holding the Word War game on a regular basis. I think it's a fun diversion, one we could do several times a week, or several times a day, depending on the level of interest.

The game depends on being in chat (at least in its current format) so you have to follow this link:
http://www.starchat.net/chat/?chan=absolutewrite
Because of new Absolute Write chat room policy, you will be allowed to enter the room, but not actually chat unless a channel operator is present. An operator wears the @ sign before his/her name, like this: @Peter. I will try to be there this week, every day, between the hours of 2:00 PM and 4:00 PM EDT. (That's 11:00 AM to 1:00 PM PDT) There are other operators and they may be in the chat room at other times. Look for Jed, Fenika, KittyPryde, ChaosTitan.

If a game isn't already underway when you arrive, go ahead and start one.

Write many words and by all means, have a blast!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:30 AM   #2
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If anyone wants to plan a word war chat here, and finds no operators in the AW room, they can always PM each other and get set up that way.

Word wars are a great way to let go. It might not work for you for an entire first draft, but it's excellent practice in letting ideas flow. And a little competition is always nice.

Best part is, anyone with a word count above 0 is a winner

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Fenika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:31 AM   #3
SaraP
Proud to be a Sparklist
AW Moderator

SaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The best thing about the short time limits is that it makes it easier for people from different time zones to share in on the fun.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

It takes strength to be gentle and kind

The Smiths

Life getting you down? Come get a pick-me-up.
SaraP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 03:39 AM   #4
Wayne K
Banned

Wayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We've been doing that on Face Book for months. But for daily word counts. It's a lot of fun
Wayne K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:19 AM   #5
SaraP
Proud to be a Sparklist
AW Moderator

SaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSaraP is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenika View Post
Another word war at 9EST! 8 central! Really late Europe time!
There's going to be at least one crazy european on there. Who's joining us?

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 04-28-2010, 05:49 AM   #6
SaraP
Proud to be a Sparklist
AW Moderator

We just started this on chat today. I'm not even on Facebook.

Hope this means we get somebody new to war with.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 04-29-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
Pthom

Pthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPthom is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Next live Word War: Today, 2:00 PM EDT.

If you haven't been to chat, yet, information on how to do that is here.

Be there, or be square.
Old 05-01-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
Sophia
AW Moderator

Sophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Word war in the chat room, starting at : 45, lasting for 30 mins. Be there, squares!
Sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #9
Lauretta
In the fantasy word.

Lauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm in! I'm in!

My shiny and sparkling blog!
Lauretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:09 PM   #10
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm in too

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts
jvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

jvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjvc is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Another word war is starting at half past the hour if anyone else wants in?

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

Old 05-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #12
Sophia
AW Moderator

Sophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSophia is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If anyone wants to word war, please join me in the chat room!
Old 05-02-2010, 05:53 PM   #13
SaraP
Proud to be a Sparklist
AW Moderator

Oh drat! I'm not at home ..

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 05-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
Lauretta
In the fantasy word.

Lauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Eating lunch at the moment, but I will for sure in about 30/45 minutes?

Old 05-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #15
Sophia
AW Moderator

Sure, Laura! Sara, no problem. I plan to be in and out of there most of the day.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:04 PM   #16
SaraP
Proud to be a Sparklist
AW Moderator

Guys, if there are no ops (the people with the @ next to their name, or the bright green button), you won't be able to chat.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 05-02-2010, 06:05 PM   #17
Sophia
AW Moderator

I was wondering about that. I thought without an op, we'd get a message when we typed something, but I haven't seen anything like that. There hasn't been any reply from the other people there, so perhaps none of us is seeing anything, though.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:28 PM   #18
Lauretta
In the fantasy word.

True, with no OP we can't chat. Well, we can still type here, can't we?
Wanna start at :15 for 30 mins?

Old 05-02-2010, 06:39 PM   #19
Wayne K
Banned

Wayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWayne K is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I wanna play but I have to go to work
Wayne K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 06:42 PM   #20
Lauretta
In the fantasy word.

Aw sorry about that Wayne, any chance to join us later?
Hugs my friend!

Old 05-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #21
Sophia
AW Moderator

IM seems to be having issues. I'll join you here, Laura. I'm fine for going for 30 minutes.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:02 PM   #22
Fenika

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
You folks should be able to PM each other

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Fenika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 07:16 PM   #23
SaraP
Proud to be a Sparklist
AW Moderator

Room is now open if anyone wants to pop in.

It's so easy to laugh
It's so easy to hate

The Smiths

Old 05-02-2010, 11:01 PM   #24
jvc
Fearsome Dragon Mod
AW Moderator

Calling all those who want a Word War. Hello? Anyone there?

We have a few gathered in the chat room, looking for more, of course. And a new Word War will commence at :45 past the hour. Be there or be round

Old 05-02-2010, 11:04 PM   #25
Lauretta
In the fantasy word.