Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Writing Genre > Science Fiction/Fantasy > Science Fact
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2009, 02:01 AM   #1
efkelley
ow

efkelley is a glorious beacon of lightefkelley is a glorious beacon of light
Fun with Lithium

http://www.space.com/scienceastronom...r-planets.html

Interesting. It's amazing the thing you can potentially learn about a star system simply from the star's composition.
The Obligatory Facebook Link
efkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 08:24 AM   #2
defcon6000
Banned

defcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdefcon6000 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
That's pretty cool. So we'll be able to determine if a star had planets in its orbit just by its lithium levels - I wonder why that is though.
defcon6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #3
efkelley
ow

It explains that in the article. Our sun has a low lithium content because the lithium is in the planets.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Xelebes
Delerium ex Ennui

Xelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsXelebes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by efkelley View Post
It explains that in the article. Our sun has a low lithium content because the lithium is in the planets.
It doesn't say that. It says the planets create more convection currents within the sun that move the Lithium towards the hotter core.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:39 PM   #5
efkelley
ow

Ah, true. I should probably fix my lithium-based eyes.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:25 AM   #6
jhmcmullen
figuring it all out

jhmcmullen is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelebes View Post
It doesn't say that. It says the planets create more convection currents within the sun that move the Lithium towards the hotter core.
It says that, but also that this is the current idea, and it still hasn't been tested. The low levels of lithium has been confirmed, but this part is still an idea.
jhmcmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #7
Lyra Jean
Two years old now.

Lyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This is fantab. I'm writing an extra-solar colony novel.

My history Blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear

My Quilting Blog: A Stitch in Time

WIP: For Love or Country rough draft
Chapter One complete 2,034
Lyra Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 02:12 AM   #8
small axe
memento mori

small axe has earned our admirationsmall axe has earned our admirationsmall axe has earned our admirationsmall axe has earned our admiration
There are a number of stars that are considered very very similar to our Sun (and thus may favor planet, life, and be better targets for SETI investigation)

The best possibility is 200 light years away, and one reason the science-daddies like it is: low lithium.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIP_56948

I'd read about the lithium but really didn't understand why lithium mattered so much until the above. thanks.

It's named "Intipa Awachan" in Draco.

No, seriously, that's not the alien name ... ... it's in our constellation of Draco, and they gave it an Inca name that means "Sun's twin" in their mythology.

"Intipa Awachan"

As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world - that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves. -Mahatma Gandhi.
Seven sins of life: Politics without principle. Commerce without morality. Wealth without work. Education without character. Science without humanity. Pleasure without conscience. Worship without sacrifice.
small axe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:55 AM   #9
BillPatt
Banned

BillPatt is well-respected
I gotta say, for something that's supposedly science fact, the article used the phrase "burned up" to hypothesize what happened to the lithium. Burn? Like combustion? A star is a big ball of dense plasma! What they really mean is "transmute" or "fuse" or something in the nuclear realm, not the chemical.

Freaking irritating, from a website that should know better.
BillPatt is offline   Reply With Quote