Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > AW Writing Lab > NaNoWriMo and Beyond
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2009, 04:25 PM   #1
SantiagoOdyssey
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

SantiagoOdyssey is on a distinguished road
Almost game time, folks

Last edited by SantiagoOdyssey; 04-03-2014 at 09:37 PM.
SantiagoOdyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
half.jaded
Gone insane. Be right back.

Location: Underground, trying to bomb the headquarters of evil carrots who are trying to take over the world
half.jaded should run for Presidenthalf.jaded should run for Presidenthalf.jaded should run for Presidenthalf.jaded should run for Presidenthalf.jaded should run for Presidenthalf.jaded should run for President
Me too! I'm a first time Nano-er, I'm not doing too good in Physics and I've got to stay in the cemetery all day during November 1 and 2. I wonder if I can keep life together while trying to salvage my physics grade.

Reading:
Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
Beautiful Creatures - Garcia and Stohl
The Book of Dead Days - Marcus Sedgwick
half.jaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:16 PM   #3
inkspatters
The coordinates keep changing...

inkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Lol, for me it's less than fifteen minutes till midnight and the first of November, now. Fingers crossed that I get off to a good start

And I tweet, too!

~ FALL TO PIECES, YA thriller, Marshall Cavendish
inkspatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:30 PM   #4
inkspatters
The coordinates keep changing...

inkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsinkspatters is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
And...NaNo just started. Here I go!

And I tweet, too!

~ FALL TO PIECES, YA thriller, Marshall Cavendish
inkspatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
WittyandorIronic
practical experience, FTW

WittyandorIronic has earned our admirationWittyandorIronic has earned our admirationWittyandorIronic has earned our admirationWittyandorIronic has earned our admiration
I <bounce> CAN'T <bounce> WAIT! <bounce>
WittyandorIronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
Snowstorm
Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Go inkspatters and the rest you Australians!

Type! Type! Type you lucky dogs!

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:11 PM   #7
thethinker42
Abnormal Romance Author

thethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
20 more minutes for me...*taps foot*

19 more minutes...

AW Library: Lauren Gallagher * L. A. Witt

In-Progress:
Lead Me Not - 80,105 / 100,000
The Saint's Wife - 53,321 / 60,000

The Walls of Troy
- Available 10/07!
thethinker42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
Thump
defying grabbity

Thump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolness
Hmm... that's something I've been wondering about. Does NaNo start when it's the first of November in the US, in the country (pacific island?) that's most to the east or at Greenwich? Because I'm on GMT and I was wondering
I'd say the main lesson to take from Stephen King's working life is: He's never stopped working. He's written sober. He's written drunk. He's written while recovering from horrendous injuries. He's written while working maggotty laundry jobs. He's written on long after he could have snuggled down into his royalties for the rest of his life.

Damn good lesson, that.
Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:14 PM   #9
thethinker42
Abnormal Romance Author

thethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsthethinker42 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thump View Post
Hmm... that's something I've been wondering about. Does NaNo start when it's the first of November in the US, in the country (pacific island?) that's most to the east or at Greenwich? Because I'm on GMT and I was wondering
It starts whenever it's Nov 1 locally. For me, that's about 16 minutes from now...

In-Progress:

The Walls of Troy
- Available 10/07!
Old 10-31-2009, 07:19 PM   #10
BigWords
Geekzilla

BigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBigWords is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There are hours and hours and hours to go... I'm killing time by chain-smoking, drinking and being unsociable. Nothing special, then...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
Dude, I am not that flexible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.
BigWords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:29 PM   #11
Thump
defying grabbity

Thump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolnessThump leaves trails of profuse coolness
I'm itching to start... I've got my snacks, caffeine, time, a purry cat, my friends are busy... The housemates are around and being annoying though, that's about the only bad thing. An advantage to NaNo is that it gives me something to do that helps me ignore the people I live with.
I'd say the main lesson to take from Stephen King's working life is: He's never stopped working. He's written sober. He's written drunk. He's written while recovering from horrendous injuries. He's written while working maggotty laundry jobs. He's written on long after he could have snuggled down into his royalties for the rest of his life.

Damn good lesson, that.
Thump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 07:59 PM   #12
Lauretta
In the fantasy word.

Lauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLauretta is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
aaaahhhhhh! almost there!!!! 8 hours and 30 mins to go here!!!
Fingers crossed and best of luck to who has already started and to who's going to be soon!!!

I will have my coffe with me!

My shiny and sparkling blog!
Lauretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:02 PM   #13
Devil Ledbetter
Come on you stranger, you legend,

Devil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDevil Ledbetter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have 5 characters, a location, a crucible and a plot.

I can't wait to start writing. Right now I'm just hashing out some of the complications and details.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
thethinker42
Abnormal Romance Author

It's 12:52 am and I'm 1,019 words in. Time to call it a night and then tomorrow? Oh, it's AWN...

In-Progress:

The Walls of Troy
- Available 10/07!
Old 10-31-2009, 08:23 PM   #15
Cranky
Super Moderator
SuperModerator

Cranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I haven't decided on *anything*, not even a setting or a scene or a character. I'm thinking I might be screwed. Or it'll end up being a work of heartbreaking GENIUS! Or is it heartbreaking work of genius? Details, details.

An exceptional poem that you really should read, by AW's own William Haskins:

Thorn Forest: A Poem In Progress
Cranky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:23 PM   #16
scarletpeaches
Banned

scarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsscarletpeaches is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
GOD I am so Jonesing to start this novel.

At midnight I shall reveal the title and UNTOLD levels of filth. Oh yes. It will be AWN.
scarletpeaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:24 PM   #17
thethinker42
Abnormal Romance Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletpeaches View Post
GOD I am so Jonesing to start this novel.

At midnight I shall reveal the title and UNTOLD levels of filth. Oh yes. It will be AWN.
I can't wait. That book is going to kick ASS.

In-Progress:

The Walls of Troy
- Available 10/07!
Old 10-31-2009, 08:34 PM   #18
AnonymousWriter

AnonymousWriter has a golden reputationAnonymousWriter has a golden reputationAnonymousWriter has a golden reputationAnonymousWriter has a golden reputationAnonymousWriter has a golden reputationAnonymousWriter has a golden reputation
God, this day is dragging on.

*sigh* Let's get this show on the road.
AnonymousWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 10:02 PM   #19
DamaNegra
Mexican on the loose!

DamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDamaNegra is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Augh, 13 hours to go My fingers have been itching so bad I started a short story just to keep myself busy. Good thing I've got many errands to do today, or I'd go mad from waiting.

DamaNegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:08 PM   #20
san_remo_ave
Back at it

san_remo_ave is better than ice cream with hot fudgesan_remo_ave is better than ice cream with hot fudgesan_remo_ave is better than ice cream with hot fudgesan_remo_ave is better than ice cream with hot fudgesan_remo_ave is better than ice cream with hot fudgesan_remo_ave is better than ice cream with hot fudgesan_remo_ave is better than ice cream with hot fudge
I'm so ready to get going in, oh, 10 1/2 hours.... I'll be hosting a write in at local late-night coffee shop, so should be nice and caffeinated and ready to type when the midnight hour is upon us... Lori is still gonna kick my ass, wordcount-wise, but I don't care. I'm ready to get this story down on paper.

FORTNEY FOLLIES, a Regency romance series from Harlequin Historical Undone!
san_remo_ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:18 PM   #21
Rushie

Rushie has a spectacular auraRushie has a spectacular aura
Since we're supposed to set our clocks back tonight, does that mean we get an extra hour compared to people who don't do the daylight savings time thingie? Does that mean we cheated?
Rushie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:18 PM   #22
William Haskins
i'm down here for your soul
Absolute Sage

Location: murder takes the wheel of your cadillac and death climbs in the back
William Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranky View Post
I haven't decided on *anything*, not even a setting or a scene or a character.
me either.

the ravens will feed me.

Thorn Forest: A Poem in Progress
Updated September 30, 2014

Listen to it here (also in progress)

PoisonPen.net
Online Poetry Archive

William Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:42 PM   #23
Snowstorm
Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue

Location: Lost in the Wyoming mountains. Don't try to rescue me.
Snowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSnowstorm is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushie View Post
Since we're supposed to set our clocks back tonight, does that mean we get an extra hour compared to people who don't do the daylight savings time thingie? Does that mean we cheated?
We can't help that we have to set our clocks back. It's not cheating. I guess if someone felt strongly enough about the issue, they could submit their final NaNo novel file no later than 11 p.m. local time, November 30.

Blood Atonement, a historical mystery, and Clear and Convincing Evidence, a contemporary mystery

WIP: Blood Atonement, the screenplay!

Blog Twitter Facebook

Last edited by Snowstorm; 10-31-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Snowstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 11:50 PM   #24
Ice Zero
figuring it all out

Ice Zero is on a distinguished road
I have the whole idea minus a complete outline....and ive had no idea how unready i am until this point. Shit im screwed im in no way ready and i have less than 6 hours to be ready.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #25
Cranky
Super Moderator
SuperModerator

Cranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCranky is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Haskins View Post
me either.

the ravens will feed me.
Going for a Poe pastiche?

An exceptional poem that you really should read, by AW's own William Haskins:

Thorn Forest: A Poem In Progress
Cranky is offline   Reply With Quote