Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2005, 04:53 AM   #1
KTC
Writer at Large and a Cat

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The Cooke Agency / Cooke International

Anybody familiar with either the Cooke Agency, or Elizabeth Griffin?

Thanks in advance.

I blog

I Tweet

"I'll have no truck with plots." ~ Sheldon Cooper
KTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 06:19 AM   #2
victoriastrauss
Writer Beware Goddess
Absolute Sage

victoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsvictoriastrauss is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Is this the Cooke Agency in Toronto? If so, it seems well-established. I don't see any mention of Elizabeth Griffin, however.

- Victoria

Victoria Strauss
www.victoriastrauss.com
Writer Beware: www.writerbeware.com
Writer Beware Blog: www.accrispin.blogspot.com
Follow me on Twitter

victoriastrauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 02:34 PM   #3
KTC
Writer at Large and a Cat

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Yes, it is the one in Toronto. I was pretty sure they were well established. Just wondering if anyone here had any dealings with Ms. Griffin. Thank you Victoria.

I blog

I Tweet

"I'll have no truck with plots." ~ Sheldon Cooper
KTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 08:16 PM   #4
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
(Nice site! Sleek, easy to navigate....) http://www.cookeagency.ca/index.htm
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:55 AM   #5
Spiny Norman
practical experience, FTW

Spiny Norman has a spectacular auraSpiny Norman has a spectacular aura
The Dean Cooke Agency

Anyone had any dealings with the Dean Cooke Agency? I know they're legit and Canadian though international... I sent them my first chapter in a query and then they asked for the full on exclusive until November the 15th. Got back to me pretty quick, spelled my name right, all the good signs, along with being John Irving's agent. But I'm just wondering if anyone here has some insight into the way they work.
Spiny Norman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
edgyllama
Sockpuppet

edgyllama is well-respected
I'm not sure what you are getting at. They are big and legit and well regarded. In other words, its great they want your MS and landing with them would be great.

Good luck and report back what happens on November 15th!
edgyllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:42 PM   #7
BarbJ

BarbJ is a glorious beacon of lightBarbJ is a glorious beacon of light
Crossing fingers for you, Spiny.
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #8
Spiny Norman

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgyllama View Post
I'm not sure what you are getting at. They are big and legit and well regarded. In other words, its great they want your MS and landing with them would be great.

Good luck and report back what happens on November 15th!
Oh, yes, I'm very happy that they want to look at it, what I want to know is if anyone else has submitted to them and what sort of treatment they got.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Crossing fingers for you, Spiny.
Thanks! I'm crossing various appendages here, as well. Fingers. Toes. Eyes. Braiding my hair. Using clothespins to cross my ears. Etcetera. One of these has to work, right? I mean, it's the law of averages.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:04 AM   #9
Spiny Norman

Aaaaand I just realized I got the gender wrong on my query. This isn't because I did no research, but because sometimes it is impossible to figure out their gender just from reading about them. Lots of "thems" and "theys" and "the agency."

Oh, well. They asked for it, I gave it... Hopefully they won't be like, "This is great, I love it! ...waaaait a second, this guy screwed up his query! Hand me that big red stamp that says 'dumbass' so I can send this directly back to him."
Old 10-23-2007, 06:55 AM   #10
Spiny Norman

Welp, I still haven't heard back from them, but just to be sure... No one has ever worked or submitted to them before?
Old 10-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #11
edgyllama
Sockpuppet

They're pretty high profile...may take several months to hear back from them. Patience, young padwan
Old 10-23-2007, 07:00 AM   #12
mscelina
Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you

Location: Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
mscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmscelina is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
if they asked for an exclusive until November 15th I'd say you have at least a couple of weeks left to wait.

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2007, 11:52 PM   #13
Spiny Norman

Yep. I know. I just have to wonder how many times I check gmail a day on this. The "g" and "m" buttons on my keyboard are showing cracks.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:49 AM   #14
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless
SuperModerator

CaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCaoPaux is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Adding link: http://www.cookeagency.ca/index.htm
I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

2013: II2014:
CaoPaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:58 AM   #15
Spiny Norman

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaoPaux View Post
Took a look at that. Not quite that much information on the agents themselves, though. My Canadian friend knew them immediately, though.

And here's another odd thing - they say that they don't accept email queries, yet they say they opposite on agentquery.com and not only answered my email but also asked for the full by email. It makes sense that they would, as they're Canadian and most Staters would have no idea of where to get Canadian postage.

Hoping this isn't some fluke and I haven't wasted over a month...
Old 11-14-2007, 06:14 AM   #16
Spiny Norman

Well, on Saturday night I sent an email saying I would resume querying other agents on Friday, the day after the exclusive runs out. I made sure to express that I was still eager to work with their agency and to let me know if they need anything. I understand these things can take months, but... Well, I can't stand sitting still.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:10 AM   #17
BarbJ

BarbJ is a glorious beacon of lightBarbJ is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiny Norman View Post
Well, on Saturday night I sent an email saying I would resume querying other agents on Friday, the day after the exclusive runs out. I made sure to express that I was still eager to work with their agency and to let me know if they need anything. I understand these things can take months, but... Well, I can't stand sitting still.
Keep us updated, and good luck!
BarbJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 06:10 AM   #18
Spiny Norman

Well, it's been about four months now. By now another agent has asked for the first 100 pages and I'm gearing up for a new round of serious querying. They did finally send me an email saying that due to the holidays their response time was much, much longer and that it was still being considered. Still, I can't call myself hopeful right now.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:20 AM   #19
Spiny Norman

Just out of curiosity, have any of the more inside insiders heard anything about this agency? Like, inner turmoil or sales or anything like that? I'm finding it hard to get anything solid on this. Meat does not fall cleanly from the bone we call Google.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:58 AM   #20
edgyllama
Sockpuppet

Query them again to ask your status. As long as no agent has yet to reprsent your work, I'd let it slide. They are huge and probably very busy.
Old 09-22-2008, 03:37 AM   #21
Lainey Bancroft
Cover Me!

Lainey Bancroft is a shiny, shiny jewelLainey Bancroft is a shiny, shiny jewel
I do realize this is kind of a 'dead thread' but FWIW, I e-queried Elizabeth Griffin ten days ago (women's fic) and just had a request.

I can email my first three chapters or if I choose to snail mail, they should be addressed to the Vancouver office, attn: Carol Bidwill.

Anyone have 'fresh info' on the agency in general or Carol Bidwill?

Lainey Bancroft

Lainey Bancroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:25 AM   #22
shameless
Superlative Type A

shameless has earned our admirationshameless has earned our admirationshameless has earned our admirationshameless has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainey Bancroft View Post
I do realize this is kind of a 'dead thread' but FWIW, I e-queried Elizabeth Griffin ten days ago (women's fic) and just had a request.

I can email my first three chapters or if I choose to snail mail, they should be addressed to the Vancouver office, attn: Carol Bidwill.

Anyone have 'fresh info' on the agency in general or Carol Bidwill?
Hi, Lainey!

Congrats on the request! I don't know which agent (sorry, middle-aged memory issues), but Cooke had an agent taking appointments at RWA nationals. They're obviously still looking to represent romance.
shameless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #23
Barber
Timing is everything...

Barber has earned our admirationBarber has earned our admirationBarber has earned our admirationBarber has earned our admiration
Just thought I'd add my so-far experience with Elizabeth.

I e-queried September 18, receiving a partial request October 14 (yesterday) for a partial. I'll follow up once she gets back to me with either a full request or rejection.

Website says they're only accepting Canadian authors. Does that mean they're too busy to go international right now?
Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:02 PM   #24
Barber
Timing is everything...

Barber has earned our admirationBarber has earned our admirationBarber has earned our admirationBarber has earned our admiration
Just thought I'd give the heads up that Elizabeth Griffin emailed a confirmation receipt, which is awsome.

So don't go thinking she rejected you just because you receive a reply shortly after you send the material!
Barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #25
Dara
figuring it all out

Dara is on a distinguished road
I've had a partial out to them since July 25, but have kind of given up on hearing anything back at this stage. Still, I guess it hasn't even been 3 months yet, just feels longer...

Brought to Life--Coming in March '09 from Lyrical Press.
Dara is offline   Reply With Quote