Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Beta Readers, Mentors, and Writing Buddies
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2008, 10:47 PM   #1
katiemac
Five by Five
SuperModerator

katiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Betas and Authors: Share Your Good Experiences

Hey all,

Tell me about your good beta experiences. As an author or a beta ... What's your favorite part of the critique? Any good stories where the beta helped in the publishing process? Offered a suggestion that changed the whole narrative (in a good way)? What surprised you about the beta experience?

I've never had a beta myself, but I've offered on a couple of occasions to be a reader. I especially enjoyed beta-ing a YA novel. I read the entire manuscript at once and, after returning my comments, got immense thanks from the author because reading my comments had given her ideas to fix a couple plot holes she was worried about.

Who's next?
katiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
Calla Lily
On deadline for the next year or so
AW Moderator

Calla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCalla Lily is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My mystery's betas were a huge help. They told me (nicely) what didn't work and why, and I was able to fix plot holes and weenie scenes AND give them back for a second look. Of course, they also told me what did work, and interspersed comments along the way.

Their reward? They volunteered to beta my new book! Mwahahahaha!

I've betaed in return, and also have betaed without a return. My goal is always to find the positives as well as what needs work. Even when I've had to say that I had trouble finishing, I've received thanks. Sometimes after a cool-down period, but I completely understand that.

Betaing is its own reward. I learn about writing by helping others' works. Now if only there were about 35 hours in a day to get it all done!
Old 08-23-2008, 12:07 AM   #3
Fenika
practical experience, FTW

Fenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsFenika is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have one official beta atm who is about to send me my last chapters. It's been fun to work with her (I read her WIP) and we've come up with a lot of good ideas by putting our heads together. Hopefully she's not sick of me yet because I want to throw the next draft at her too

All my betas have been great- always pushing me for more, encouraging me when I needed it, correcting me, so on.

Christina

Visit my blog: A walk-through guide to Eastern European castles.

Gardeners of AW, Unite!

Fenika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:17 AM   #4
BardSkye
Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore

BardSkye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBardSkye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBardSkye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBardSkye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBardSkye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBardSkye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBardSkye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBardSkye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBardSkye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBardSkye is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBardSkye is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
All my betas have made my work better and been a pleasure to work with.

I often beta for others, no reciprocation needed. I do my best to point out what works or doesn't. I've read a whole lot of great books that way.
BardSkye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:45 AM   #5
sheadakota
part of the human equation

sheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentssheadakota is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have had several excellent betas. They have helped me fix time line mistakes, plot holes and character inconsistancies. On a smaller scale I have some people in SYW who are helping me with one specific scene. (Fight scene with a knife) I stink at action scenes and have been helped so much by other people's POV and fresh approach to a scene i have read a zillion times! I Luvs my betas!!!

Re-Release of the COYOTE MOON SERIES!
Fallen available print and ebook
Through the Glass Available July 2014
The Coyote's Song- Available August 2014
Socrate's Child-COMING Summer 2015!
Broken - Winter 2015

Center of the Storm-

My Website

Fallen is a taut, hard driving, edge of your seat thiller.
Michael Wiley, author of The Last Striptease
sheadakota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:18 AM   #6
Carmy
Banned

Carmy is a shiny, shiny jewelCarmy is a shiny, shiny jewel
I've worked with three Betas and they were wonderful.
Carmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 10:42 AM   #7
Riley
You Cannot Ignore the Moon Dot Com

Riley is a shiny, shiny jewelRiley is a shiny, shiny jewel
I worked as a beta for an AW member's YA fantasy. I think he inspired me to write YA of my own. There were several rough spots, but overall the manuscript was a delight to read. It was a lot of work to beta it, but I learned a lot about my own writing and the spell he wove throughout the tale was so enchanting I scarce realized how far I was progressing into the story. In fact, the spell was so powerful, when he accidentally shattered it once, I was deeply saddened.

I don't think I'd ever be able to be on the receiving end of a beta. I feel I don't deserve it.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:11 AM   #8
Mr Flibble
They've been very bad, Mr Flibble

Location: We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
Mr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMr Flibble is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've had three betas from this board ( as well as three I know personally) and all have been very positive experiences that helped my writing.

Hi Carmy! *waves*

Carmy even went above and beyond the call of duty for me after a nasty accident. Thanks doll.

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter
Mr Flibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:18 AM   #9
katiemac
Five by Five
SuperModerator

katiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskatiemac is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
It was a lot of work to beta it, but I learned a lot about my own writing
This is one of my favorite parts about beta reading. It's a lot different to read a published book and learn about writing. It's entirely different to read someone else's draft.
katiemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:21 AM   #10
bethany
:)

bethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbethany is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'm going to use CP and betas interchangably because for me they've done the same thing.

My two completely online CP's and I began working together the first month of 2006. We all had completed YA manuscripts. CP one signed with dream agent in April, CP 2 signed with agent in May. I signed with dream agent in June. Only CP two signed with the manu she had originally started with (heavily revised) we all wrote and rewrote, sending to one another weekly. I was the last one with a book deal- in October.

My second book sapped my time and self confidence. And I sent it to my agent without really running it past betas. I mentioned my third book (idea) to her, she was excited, we put the second book on the shelf and I got to work.

I wrote the third book in about two months. I asked in Random Musings for betas and got 8 offers. The results were everything from line by line comments and editing, to a three sentence evaluation that ended, I can't wait to see it on shelves in bookstores. When I got the revision notes from my agent, they were not even an entire page long, the shortest notes I have ever gotten.

Beta-ing helps me to be a better writer because I pick up on things that other writers do or don't do and apply it to my own writing. It also helps my self confidence and helps me to polish my work.

Yay betas!
The Fall~ Greenwillow ~ 2014- A literary psychological thriller/retelling of the Fall of the House of Usher.
www.bethanygriffin.com
bethany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 01:53 AM   #11
JJ Cooper

JJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJJ Cooper is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My AW beta rocks. Wouldn't have landed a publishing deal without her. Thoughtful, inciteful and encouraging comments.

JJ

My second, Deadly Trust, was published by Random House Australia in August 2010.

Random House Page - 'White knuckle writing from Australia's answer to Andy McNab'

www.jjcooperauthor.com

'Raw, tough, and uncompromising - exactly what a great thriller needs to be.'
Lee Child, International bestselling author

'A rip-roaring plot that bursts from the gate and never lets up.'
Lisa Unger, International bestselling author

'Packed with intrigue and authentic detail, full of twists, THE INTERROGATOR is a memorable debut.'
Jeff Abbott, International bestselling author
JJ Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:19 AM   #12
Carmy
Banned

You're welcome, IdiotsRUs. Reading your novel was a pleasure. I loved every minute of it.

In case anyone is wondering -- I did a couple of somersaults down my stairs and put four fractures in my lower spine. All better now, though.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:41 AM   #13
JeanneTGC
I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
WPR Dominatrix

JeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJeanneTGC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My beta readers are great and I'd be dead without them. My crit partner is also wonderful and I know I wouldn't have an agent without her. I'd name them all (most are from or now on AW), but they're mine, MINE do you hear me? MINE!

My betas read for content, grammar, spelling, and punctuation, and find what stands out wrong or off to them. It's always interesting to me that they don't all find the same errors. (Sadly, they ALL find errors.) My crit partner and I work more closely and focus on line editing and overall flow.

I truly would never want to submit a MS to my agent without my betas and crit partner all giving it the okay. (As my poor betas can attest during deadline time.)

I happily beta/crit for my betas who also write. I like having a mix of writer and non-writer betas because they look at and for and spot different things. All of which make my books better.

Action, Adventure, Romance & Humor
Coming December 2, 2014, Universal Alien -- Preorder NOW!

--Click the covers to go to my website for details & more!

Submit your poetry, humor & shorts to Raphael's Village!
JeanneTGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:43 PM   #14
citymouse
fantasy dweller

citymouse is a glorious beacon of lightcitymouse is a glorious beacon of lightcitymouse is a glorious beacon of light
I have a cadre of eight beta readers who always come through for me. Only one is a writer and she doesn't write novels and none is acquainted with the other. Beta readers, their price is beyond rubies.
C
citymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 05:53 AM   #15
Puma
Retired and loving it!

Puma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPuma is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
One step farther - I thought the beta exchange that was arranged on this forum over a year ago (by katiemac if my memory is correct) was just plain awesome. It provided several different perspectives to the same piece of work and ultimately led to betas for several people (ones that wouldn't necessarily ever have happened if it hadn't been for the organized effort.) I'd really like to see that done again. Puma
Old 08-26-2008, 06:16 AM   #16
Carmy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiemac View Post
This is one of my favorite parts about beta reading. It's a lot different to read a published book and learn about writing. It's entirely different to read someone else's draft.
How true that is. I've learned more by critiquing the work of others than by reading How To books. Often, I find another writer has made a mistake and then I find the same mistake in my own writing.

What a bonus! Help someone and help yourself at the same time. You can't beat that.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:14 PM   #17
eqb
I write books

eqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentseqb is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've had so many positive experiences with critique partners/beta readers.

The best ones are those who rip my stuff apart in constructive ways, because along with fixing the story, feedback like that shows me how to bring my writing to a higher level.
eqb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:17 AM   #18
Prawn
Writing is finite,revising infinite

Prawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputationPrawn has a golden reputation
I have a polished manuscript, but I have a plot point I am not sure of. Can you guys recommend a beta who is constructive with plot and story arc? I'd happily swap beta services.
Thanks!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:13 AM   #19
PeekABooWriter
Banned

PeekABooWriter is on a distinguished road
I Love It Already!

Wow..I had no idea beta-ing would be so fun and productive. I just found betas today. I am reading, and am being read. I love it already and I'm only an hour into it. Can't wait to come back later and tell you how the whole thing went. Thumbs up for such a great idea!
PeekABooWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:25 PM   #20
Madisonwrites
The Unicorn Writer

Madisonwrites is a shiny, shiny jewelMadisonwrites is a shiny, shiny jewel
I've never given my work to a Beta, but I am a Beta reader and I LOVE IT!!! Ever since I got real into writing, I've had a harder time reading books even though I love to read. This is why I started to Beta. I can read and learn while at the same time using my creative writing processes to help someone out. It's great!

I'm considering asking someone to Beta read at least part of my YA fantasy, but, yes, I freely admit I'm paranoid. I almost fell for a scam and wasn't sure if I was going to loose my work or not. (Don't think I have! ) Also, my mom is all, "Protect your work!" and gets nervous when I post even a little bit. If you have any advice or recommendations for a Beta you've had success with, please send me a quick PM. Thanks!

http://madisonlovestowrite.blogspot.com -- It's got a new look! Come visit!

"A professional writer is an amateur who didn't quit." --Richard Bach
Madisonwrites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:26 PM   #21
Madisonwrites
The Unicorn Writer

PS I'd also need some ways to help convince my mom that everything's a-OK. If you have any advice for that department, I need it too!

Old 09-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #22
dgiharris
Disgruntled Scientist

dgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdgiharris is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
A friend in my writer's group was looking for a beta for his 70K work.

I volunteerred, glad I did.

Took me about 2 weeks to read it. I read about an hour per day while writing notes and editing. After the exercise, i felt confident that I could write a book. Part of the reason I wanted to beta was that I'm gearing up to transition from short stories to novels.

Learned a lot, was well worth it. I plan to beta probably 2 - 3 books a year.

Mel...
Old 09-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #23
Madisonwrites
The Unicorn Writer

Now I have a Beta! She's working on the first three chapters of my mss. (the ones that need the most work) and she's giving me some wonderful hints and suggestions! Great advice and things I really needed to hear, like, "You tell too much!" Yeah, I knew, but I wasn't always sure where. Now she's pointed it out. Yes, it set's off yet another round of revisions (been revising for over a year) but it's a good thing!

Old 09-13-2008, 07:35 AM   #24
Mad Queen
California Mountain Snake

Mad Queen is a glorious beacon of lightMad Queen is a glorious beacon of light
I want to be a beta too!I will read mainstream / contemporary fiction, literary fiction as long as it's not stream of consciousness or experimental in any other way, science fiction, fantasy, mystery, thriller, suspense, historical novels, western, horror. No romance, women's fiction, religious novels.
Mad Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:54 PM   #25
RedScylla
KoalaKoalaKoala!

RedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsRedScylla is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
So far three five very lovely AWers have beta'd my current project and two more are still reading. Thank you all sooooo much.

(That's Mad Queen, IdiotsRUs, Sassee, Nakhlasmoke, MagicMan, Ravenlea, and Blondchen.)

Between a blog and a hard place.

Last edited by RedScylla; 11-09-2008 at 01:23 AM.
RedScylla is offline   Reply With Quote