Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > General Writing Interest > Blogging and Social Networking > AW Blog Reviews
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2007, 11:18 PM   #1
Joanna_S
practical experience, FTW

Joanna_S has a spectacular aura
Review me?

I have no idea how this is supposed to work, but I'll volunteer to be the guinea pig. Blog links below.
Joanna_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 10:01 PM   #2
Joanna_S

Are they that bad? I'm getting a complex.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:19 PM   #3
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Perhaps you could pick one and say what kind of thing you are looking for. Like reviewing prose I think it helps to know where help is wanted
Old 11-19-2007, 12:05 AM   #4
Joanna_S

I'm very new to blogging, so I'm not sure what areas I need help in. Let's start with my personal blog, Life in the Middle, as I'm more aware of what I want to do with the other.

Thank you for any help.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:47 AM   #5
ello
figuring it all out

ello is on a distinguished road
Hmmmmm

I liked your comic book blog alot. In fact, I thought it was terrific, especially for people who love comics. Thought it was neat conceptually and fun to read.

If I may be frank, I felt your other blog was a little flat for me. Because I am such an avid blog reader, I'm always trolling the blogosphere to look for blogs that make me want to visit again. Every person is different, but for me I look for those unique twists that I find fascinating - whether it is humor, warmth, inspiration, really interesting trivia provided in a fascinating way, other links of interest, specific advice or professional information that is interesting. And I know how hard it is to blog. I try to blog Monday through Friday and it is hard to come up with interesting topics. Sometimes I jump into Youtube to get an obscure video I know will amuse people when I can't think of any interesting to say. But I'm always thinking about what I need to do or say to bring my readers back.

I think your blog is a great personal blog that people who know you would be interested in reading. But I think you need to add an extra dimension to your blog to attract outside readers. Best of luck to you.
ello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 01:02 AM   #6
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I think your personal blog is clear, attractive with good picture use. Each post is good but it is less clear to me what the blog is 'about'. I mention that only because apart from the blogs of personal friends I visit blogs for content of a certain type.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:56 AM   #7
Joanna_S

Very good advice, ello and veinglory. I agree that the personal blog doesn't have a focus and probably should have. The comic blog is very focused so I thought maybe a second blog that was more general would make a nice mix, but perhaps I was wrong about that. The comic blog is a lot more work but it's more fun to do.

Thank you both for taking a look and being honest. It's the only way I'll know what works and what doesn't.

-- Joanna
Old 12-12-2007, 07:36 AM   #8
rejectME

rejectME is on a distinguished road
I decided to take a look at your personal blog for a review. The reason is that I like to read peoples' random personal blogs to see what type of direction they go in. Mine goes nowhere, but other people tend to develope a style that works and draws in readers. This is REALLY hard to do with a personal blog because you are not writing to a specific target market or topic. That said, you personal blog seems like it is a struggle for you. Granted, this is just my opinion, but your other blogs seem to have more life - almost like you enjoy writing them more. Maybe I'm totally off and you really have a strong fascination with the tortila chip, but the post on here seemed like they may have been a chore. If they were sponsored posts, I'd understand more, but they are not. The reason I point this out is that you are such a good writer and I would love to see some of your creativity on your personal page, but it's your blog. As always, opinions may be honest, but that doesn't mean they are right!
Best, Jerry

"In the end, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it." ~Norman McLain
rejectME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
Joanna_S

Thank you for taking the time to look, Jerry. I signed up for NaBlo with the personal blog, which meant posting every day in November. That probably would have been easier if I'd had the blog longer.

At this point, I'll try to meet a schedule with the comic blog but the personal one will be whenever I feel like it. (Oh, and the tortilla chip was just an ebay auction I'd posted awhile back. Some friends wanted to see it again so I obliged).

Thank you very much for taking the time to give me your thoughts about them.

-- Joanna
Old 12-17-2007, 07:38 PM   #10
Uncarved
Just the Basic Facts

Uncarved is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUncarved is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUncarved is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUncarved is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUncarved is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUncarved is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUncarved is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUncarved is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsUncarved is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I like Life in the Middle.
While I do go to some blogs for specific topics, there are those that I like because of the randomness of it. I'm a fan of the just "off on a tangent" topics and the never knowing what todays post will be about.

I wouldn't change a thing, but see your blog is exactly what I like to read. those seeking a clear precise flow of the same topic might not.

t