Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Bewares, Recommendations & Background Check
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2005, 09:38 AM   #1
smallthunder
Ruled by Dachshunds

smallthunder has a spectacular aura
Bob Diforio/d4eo

Greetings --

I just heard back from Bob Diforio, who asked for the first three chapters of my novel a little while ago. He is the first agent who has read chapters and gotten back to me. I have two questions -- the first: How should I interpret his e-mail rejection? That is, he wrote:

Dear Nadine -

Thanks for the look. I have to pass, as I am simply
swamped with work at present. As is attested by the fact
that it took me two weeks to get back to you.

I wish you every success with another agent.

Best,

Bob

Should I take solace in the fact he didn't pan my novel, tell me to take up knitting instead of writing? Or is he such a nice guy -- which seems very possible -- that this is actually what his message means?

Second question: I've had a good feeling about Bob Diforio from the beginning -- maybe it's just something about guys named "Bob"? No, really -- my second question is: Is it proper/appropriate to ask him if he would consider my book again sometime in the future? That is, if no one else wants to represent me by a certain date he suggests is more convenient for him?

Any/all advice gratefully accepted!
smallthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:54 AM   #2
sarbruis
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

sarbruis is on a distinguished road
There's nothing you can interpret. The book wasn't right for him. That's what just about every single agent will tell you. Don't look into rejections too much. There's very likely nothing there except a bunch of words that everyone else gets (ie, a form rejection). Unless it's a personal hand-written note that references your specific novel, just keep writing and writing and writing and sending more and more queries and whatnot out until you get an agent that wants to represent you.

For your second question: If he doesn't want it now, he probably isn't going to want it two months from now. You can query him again, but you'll just get the same response, and he'll most likely recognize the title (or your name or the query) unless it's been quite a while. If you want to change the story dramatically, then send it again, but only if there're major differences that may change his mind. He's a legitimate agent though; he reps that Treasure Trove book that's sold a zillion copies about the real-life treasure hunt.

--"Giraffes? Giraffes!"

Last edited by sarbruis; 04-08-2005 at 10:57 AM.
sarbruis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
smallthunder
Ruled by Dachshunds

smallthunder has a spectacular aura
Red face Clearly new to this

Thanks, Sarbrius, for your input -- kinda silly of me to try and read into such an innocuous e-mail rejection, no? I guess I was expecting "no, thanks" or "not really my cuppa" and the "too busy" bit threw me. That, and the fact he was the agent I had most wanted to work with ... now, I'll just sit here and wait for the others to get back to me ... doing my best to appear more worldly wise ... jaded ...
smallthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 08:39 PM   #4
Kasey Mackenzie
Cover Karma - 3 for 3 KICK@$$!

Kasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKasey Mackenzie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's perfectly proper to query the same agent a second time, however, from what I've read _not_ with the same book. If you really want this particular agent, I would polish up a different work, wait at least a few months, and then send him the second work along with a different query letter. In the meantime, I would continue querying other reputable agents. Perhaps you'll find another agent that's a great fit for you. If not, you've lost nothing in the interim. Good luck!

Coming Soon on Kindle: Reborn in Fire
Kasey Mackenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:51 PM   #5
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Rejection

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallthunder
Greetings --

I just heard back from Bob Diforio, who asked for the first three chapters of my novel a little while ago. He is the first agent who has read chapters and gotten back to me. I have two questions -- the first: How should I interpret his e-mail rejection? That is, he wrote:

Dear Nadine -

Thanks for the look. I have to pass, as I am simply
swamped with work at present. As is attested by the fact
that it took me two weeks to get back to you.

Best,

Bob

Should I take solace in the fact he didn't pan my novel, tell me to take up knitting instead of writing? Or is he such a nice guy -- which seems very possible -- that this is actually what his message means?

Second question: I've had a good feeling about Bob Diforio from the beginning -- maybe it's just something about guys named "Bob"? No, really -- my second question is: Is it proper/appropriate to ask him if he would consider my book again sometime in the future? That is, if no one else wants to represent me by a certain date he suggests is more convenient for him?

Any/all advice gratefully accepted!
You can drive yourself crazy trying to read between the lines of rejection letters. All this one means is "No thanks." Unless a rejection asks for a rewrite, all they ever really mean is "No thanks."

Don't resubmit the same novel to this agent. If had wished to see it again at a later date, he would have said so.
Jamesaritchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:54 PM   #6
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

maestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It's a "no." Send the ms out again. I find it counter-productive to try to interpret a rejection.

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
-- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between A Bunch of Stories
(2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews
maestrowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 11:57 PM   #7
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Julie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallthunder
This is the only line of importance.
Julie Worth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 12:17 AM   #8
HConn
Whore for genre

HConn has earned our admirationHConn has earned our admirationHConn has earned our admirationHConn has earned our admiration
Rejectomancy is a fine old tradition. It's rarely fruitful, though.

I would send him a brief thank-you note, saying "Thanks for taking the time to consider my work," and little else.

Good luck.

Book 2 in the Twenty Palaces series: GAME OF CAGES. or check out these sample chapters.
HConn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 12:26 AM   #9
KTC
Writer at Large and a Cat

KTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsKTC is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by maestrowork
It's a "no." Send the ms out again. I find it counter-productive to try to interpret a rejection.
Truer words have never been spoken..er, typed. I'd like to add that I think 2 weeks is pretty zippy...from the little experience I have with waiting on replies from agents.

Just re-send to another agent. And the best of luck to you!

I blog

I Tweet

"I'll have no truck with plots." ~ Sheldon Cooper
KTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 06:04 AM   #10
triceretops
Super Browser

triceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentstriceretops is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This rejection is too lean to read anything in to it. Something more substantial might point you into a more helpful re-write.

Tri
triceretops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 08:36 AM   #11
Crunchy Frog
New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Crunchy Frog has a spectacular aura
FYI...

Bob Diforio was the agent who sold Bob "not the poet" Bly's manuscript about hot dogs to PublishAmerica.

CRUNCHY
Crunchy Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:11 AM   #12
BrookieCookie777
practical experience, FTW

BrookieCookie777 has a spectacular aura
D4EO Literary Partners (Robert Diforio)

Anybody know anything about DE40? Do they sell to major publishing houses?

Thanks guys. What would I do without you!

- Shakespeare
BrookieCookie777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 06:17 AM   #13
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Julie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJulie Worth is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There's already a thread: <snipped>

Last edited by CaoPaux; 10-27-2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: threads merged
Old 09-11-2007, 08:02 AM   #14
BrookieCookie777

What is this about the Hotdog manuscript and Publish America. That scares me . . . anyone have any info on this? Is this group legit?

- Shakespeare
Old 09-11-2007, 08:05 AM   #15
BrookieCookie777

Thanks Julie. I posted on that old thread but it's not showing up yet. Do you know if Bob Diforio is legit?

- Shakespeare
Old 09-11-2007, 08:17 AM   #16
Dawno
I Haz Most Wonderful Daughter EVAR
SuperModerator

Dawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDawno is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Julie, it's ok to post a thread in this forum asking for references on an agent (unless there's already a thread *here* and I did a search, I didn't find one). The other thread is in Novels and not specifically about D4EO but rather asking for input on a rejection from him. I should go check the index...brb.

yes, there's an old locked one - http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915

not much info there, at the time he looked ok.

Last edited by Dawno; 09-11-2007 at 08:21 AM.
Dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 08:33 AM   #17
ChaosTitan
Around
AW Moderator

ChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsChaosTitan is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I don't know the story, but if it's about PubliSHAMerica, it's definitely not legit.

"Holy f*ck!" --Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks, on CHANGELING.

The public doesn't trust them. The government wants to control them. Being a superhero has never been this hard, especially for Tempest.--Coming April 22, 2013 from Pocket Star.
ChaosTitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 10:19 AM   #18
BrookieCookie777

Thanks Dawn! This thread is very helpful. I read something on the thread that Julie gave me about them selling something to PA . . . I couldn't find any proof to back that up - but PA in any sentence sends me running away quickly! =) Maybe one of you mods can look at that thread for me and see what you guys think?

Their sales records on Publishers Marketplace show three New York Best Sellers . . . which is rather tempting I must admit. I just don't see how someone who sells a NY best seller . . . would be associated with PA?

- Shakespeare
Old 09-11-2007, 10:22 AM   #19
BrookieCookie777

Thanks Titan. I can't find any proof to back that up . . . and the link with that PA comment shows nothing. They are recommended by Preditors and Editors and show three NY best sellers on their sales record along with many others. Everything else I've seen is so postive . . . that PA comment just threw me for a loop! If anyone can back up that PA thread . . .let me know. That's scary.

- Shakespeare
Old 09-11-2007, 03:54 PM   #20
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawno View Post
Julie, it's ok to post a thread in this forum asking for references on an agent (unless there's already a thread *here* and I did a search, I didn't find one). The other thread is in Novels and not specifically about D4EO but rather asking for input on a rejection from him. I should go check the index...brb.

yes, there's an old locked one - http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=915

not much info there, at the time he looked ok.
Sorry. I didn't notice it was in novels.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #21
Manat

Manat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
Bob Diforio was the agent who sold Bob "not the poet" Bly's manuscript about hot dogs to PublishAmerica.
What? That seems a little hard to swallow. He was 17 years at NAL, part of it as CEO, and he's repped Clive Cussler, and he has sales to everyone, Pocket, Signet NAL etc. I'm pretty sure not to publish america. You can't make a sale to them anyway can you? I thought they sell to you.
Manat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 04:58 PM   #22
Manat

Manat is on a distinguished road
Bob is completely legit. He was at NAL 17 years for a time as VP sales and also as President and CEO. He reps fiction and non fiction, has repped Clive Cussler, has authors on the NYT list, has tons of sales and rights sales etc.

* as to the PA stuff. I'm assuming the poster might have been confusing selling a book to publish america, with listing a sale on publisher's marketplace.

Last edited by Manat; 09-11-2007 at 05:06 PM. Reason: addendum*
Manat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 05:04 PM   #23
Julie Worth
What? I have a title?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrookieCookie777 View Post
Thanks Titan. I can't find any proof to back that up . . . and the link with that PA comment shows nothing. They are recommended by Preditors and Editors and show three NY best sellers on their sales record along with many others. Everything else I've seen is so postive . . . that PA comment just threw me for a loop! If anyone can back up that PA thread . . .let me know. That's scary.
He's sold several Bob Bly books, and Bly has one book that was recently published by PA. This was All-American Frank. Odd, but the sales aren't that bad for a PA book (possibly because it's linked to a more popular book).

Last edited by Julie Worth; 09-11-2007 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:13 PM   #24
David McAfee
God of Squirrels

David McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for PresidentDavid McAfee should run for President
If it helps, they rejected my query, so you know they don't take every writer who contacts them.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #25
BrookieCookie777

Thanks guys. I agree. That was quite odd - with all their sales, they are hard to irnore however. Does everyone think they are reliable?

- Shakespeare