Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Politics & Current Events
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2007, 09:07 PM   #1
Susan Gable
Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage

Susan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
12 year old Special Ed student charged (legally) for wetting her pants

Okay, does this seem insane to you? A 12-year-old special education student has been legally charged with disorderly contduct for wetting her pants in school. The principal was apparently talking to her (yelling at her? ) when this happened, and they say she did it on purpose, but the kid's mother says the child is afraid of the principal. But they've had the POLICE charge the kid. <sigh> Not for hitting someone. Not for spitting on someone. Not for swearing at someone. For wetting her pants.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,241579,00.html

Susan G.
The Family Plan - July 2010 Superromance

Your online computer-fixer-upper:
www.PCWebDoc.com
Fixing computers via the internet!
Susan Gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #2
billythrilly7th
Banned

billythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsbillythrilly7th is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
If wetting your pants is now a crime, I'd better find me a lawyer damn soon.
billythrilly7th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:11 PM   #3
William Haskins
Do you know what nemesis means?
Absolute Sage

William Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliam Haskins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
if they try to make my kid wash dishes at school, i'll go up there and piss on them myself.

Thorn Forest: A Poem in Progress
Updated September 30, 2014

Listen to it here (also in progress)

PoisonPen.net
Online Poetry Archive

William Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #4
WildScribe
Slave to the Wordcount

WildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWildScribe is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This is why I plan to homeschool... among other things, of course.
Word total for 2012: 292,394
Sales total for 2012: 35

Check me out at KathleenTudor.com!

"The first problem of any kind of even limited success
is the unshakeable conviction that you are getting away with something
and that any moment now 'they' will discover you." - Neil Gaiman
WildScribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:14 PM   #5
tourdeforce
Banned

tourdeforce has a double-platinum reputationtourdeforce has a double-platinum reputationtourdeforce has a double-platinum reputationtourdeforce has a double-platinum reputationtourdeforce has a double-platinum reputationtourdeforce has a double-platinum reputationtourdeforce has a double-platinum reputation
Quote:
They ate in the library and the girl was told to go to the kitchen to wash some pots and pans

The legal charge is ridiculous but why are special ed kids, or any kids, being ordered to wash dishes in school?
tourdeforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
alleycat
I vant to drink your blood.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I'd be terrified of someone named Duckwork too.

alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
greglondon
Planet Wookie techno geek

greglondon is a glorious beacon of lightgreglondon is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourdeforce
The legal charge is ridiculous but why are special ed kids, or any kids, being ordered to wash dishes in school?
Soylent green is students!
Old 01-05-2007, 09:23 PM   #8
kikazaru
Benefactor Member

kikazaru leaves trails of profuse coolnesskikazaru leaves trails of profuse coolnesskikazaru leaves trails of profuse coolnesskikazaru leaves trails of profuse coolnesskikazaru leaves trails of profuse coolness
Aw the poor kid. How humiliating for her and so cruel and totally unnecessary to put her thru this. What the hell is that principal thinking? If anyone has ever been very scared, involuntary urination often happens. This should be thrown out and the principal disciplined til HE pees himself. Jerk.

Is it just me or has common sense become a rare occurance? I was reading a few weeks ago of a 5 year old (yes 5!!) charged with sexual harrassment for pinching a fellow classmate (girl) on the bum. 5 years old and he's a labelled a pervert???

Groucho Marx
kikazaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:34 PM   #9
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Haskins
if they try to make my kid wash dishes at school, i'll go up there and piss on them myself.
I kind of wondered about that myself.

She's in special ed, so she gets to clean up after the other kids? And if she doesn't want to, she's a discipline problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzglH...ature=youtu.be

my IMDB page: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2097751/

My decoupage shoes, now on Etsy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CeliaCyani...shop-info-name
Celia Cyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #10
Del
Sky isn't falling, ground is rising

Del is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I've tried 3 times to post to this...a little brain oil might help. I'll try.

There are a lot of assumptions here. Were I to make one it would be that the dishwashing was a discipline. As for the charge, unless she admits guilt it is not provable. The principal should know this. What if she couldn't help it? What is the preceding going to do to her. It is potentially psychologically damaging.

I sense he was frustrated with the girl and decided on a "I'll teach you" effort. He should be taught as well. Charge him with false arrest.

I hope this is coherent.
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #11
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Celia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCelia Cyanide is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
http://www.boston.com/news/education...wetting_pants/

Looks like the charge was dropped, but it doesn't say anything about why they told her to wash pots and pans. I'm looking...I'm still bitter about that one.

Old 01-05-2007, 09:56 PM   #12
maestrowork
Fear the Death Ray

maestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsmaestrowork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
School admins have way too much ego and power that go to their heads.

I didn't want to work. It was as simple as that. I distrusted work, disliked it. I thought it was a very bad thing that the human race had unfortunately invented for itself.
-- Agatha Christie

The Pacific Between A Bunch of Stories
(2006 IPPY Award)

WIP: Beyond the Banyan Tree - draft 9, 125,000 words

Home Page | Blog | Reviews
maestrowork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:05 PM   #13
Susan Gable
Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage

Susan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSusan Gable is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide
http://www.boston.com/news/education...wetting_pants/

Looks like the charge was dropped, but it doesn't say anything about why they told her to wash pots and pans. I'm looking...I'm still bitter about that one.
Thanks for posting that, Celia. At least they came to their senses over the actual legal charges. Sheesh.

Quote:
District Attorney Robert Buehner spoke with Keifer and Gill on Thursday and decided to drop the disorderly conduct charge. Buehner said, "it makes better sense to just let the school district handle it with the child and parents."
D'uh!! You think? <shaking head>

Susan G.
The Family Plan - July 2010 Superromance

Your online computer-fixer-upper:
www.PCWebDoc.com
Fixing computers via the internet!
Susan Gable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:38 AM   #14
dclary
Survivor

dclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
There are various levels of special education, stemming from both physical and mental variations in a child's cognitive growth. Rodney King, for instance, was a special ed student... even before getting his brains beat in. And so was the Down's kid who played "Corky" on that TV show in the 90s.

Anyway, I think we all need a lot more information from both sides before rushing to judgement here.

Was it over the line to charge a kid with wetting their pants? Maybe. Was it over the line to wet your pants because you didn't want to do an assignment? Maybe. We just don't know.

Hard Hobbit to Break: A hobbit from the Shire, lost in Los Angeles.

Big Fat Loser Diet: My weight loss journal.
Website a Week: A challenge to design a new website every week.
DavidWClary.com: Keep up with all the other DWC sites here
dclary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:42 AM   #15
Celia Cyanide
Joker Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dclary
Was it over the line to wet your pants because you didn't want to do an assignment? Maybe. We just don't know.
No, we don't. And you're right, we don't know how advanced she is. But I still have to wonder why the "assignment" was to wash pots and pans. I couldn't find an explanation anywhere when I searched.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:50 AM   #16
justJM
delicate #!&@*#! flower

justJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsjustJM is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delarege
As for the charge, unless she admits guilt it is not provable.
Lol! Wonder what the legal eagles would have come up with as suitable jail time for pissing yourself deliberately?

Even if she stood there and defiantly peed her pants (seen The Exorcist?), the best they can do is expel her. Calling the police? That's just a stunt to scare her.

I do wonder about the scutwork. If there's not a real good reason for that, I'm sure someone at that school is going to wish they hadn't dialed 911 over a yellow puddle.

Last edited by justJM; 01-06-2007 at 02:02 AM.
justJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 02:05 AM   #17
dclary
Survivor

dclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsdclary is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celia Cyanide
No, we don't. And you're right, we don't know how advanced she is. But I still have to wonder why the "assignment" was to wash pots and pans. I couldn't find an explanation anywhere when I searched.
I agree. That *does* sound odd.

Many of my wife's special ed kids (she teaches SC-1 at high school level) do vocational training at various retail outlets: wal-mart, hometown buffet, etc. It's possible this kid had a similar arrangement to work in the school kitchen? Who knows? I just know that *in general* when people are arrested, it's because they need to be. And *in general* schools are VERY aware of the legal ramifications of screwing around with a kid in today's litigious society. I would tend to believe they had a good reason for the arrest.

Hard Hobbit to Break: A hobbit from the Shire, lost in Los Angeles.

Big Fat Loser Diet: My weight loss journal.
Website a Week: A challenge to design a new website every week.
DavidWClary.com: Keep up with all the other DWC sites here
dclary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:40 AM   #18
astonwest
2 WIP? A glutton for punishment

astonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsastonwest is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by dclary
There are various levels of special education, stemming from both physical and mental variations in a child's cognitive growth. Rodney King, for instance, was a special ed student... even before getting his brains beat in. And so was the Down's kid who played "Corky" on that TV show in the 90s.

Anyway, I think we all need a lot more information from both sides before rushing to judgement here.
Special education in some areas also includes those students who are behavioral disordered. My dad has taught said students for a long time. Although I've never heard him talk of police being called for pants-wetting, he has said that the police generally get called on a daily basis.

Granted, his is a school solely for said students (it looks like this Danville Middle School is of the SE-integrated variety), and they are fully trained in how to handle their students, whether they become combative or simply resistive.

Some special-ed students are also taught life skills, which would include the aforementioned washing pots and pans. Since the statement about pots and pans came from the mother alone, there's nothing saying other children weren't asked to do the same thing, and they did so without incident.

But without knowing specifics, it's too early to assume right or wrong...

Big Daddy West
Make sure to visit AstonWest.com
I'm also on Facebook and Twitter

Check out my newest novels, Death Brings Victory (the latest Aston West "in-the-series" novel) and The Cure.
astonwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:10 AM   #19
Alan Yee
Pride Sheep

Alan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsAlan Yee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Completely off-topic, but...

Schools these days are a bit... full of something. We technically can't wear hats or hoods on campus. Ever. Even if it's freezing, raining, both, or something else. They don't seem to enforce it when there's weather problems, so the schools seem to have acquired some degree of logic. But when I was at my middle school, someone I know, straight-A student, never got in trouble in his life, got reprimanded for having his hood up when it was cold and starting to rain. Since apparently only gang members put hoods on when it's cold and/or raining.

May I also remind you that I live in Western Washington, in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, where we actually have a bunch of awfully strange weather phenomenon at various times of the year. Dear Miss PNW has outdone herself this year alone: overabundance of rain/flooding in early November; an odd appearance of cold, snow, and ice shortly afterwards (with record lows); and record-high windstorms which knocked out power lines and left lots of people literally in the dark for a few days.

Now all we need is another major earthquake and volcanic eruption to complete the cycle.

After our winter made national news, they apparently smartened up about hoods and weather conditions.

I have no idea what really happened with the Special Ed student, though. There must be something else going on.

ETA: Not to mention that schools around here have completely outdoor hallways. We have to battle the weather just to get from class to class.

Last edited by Alan Yee; 01-06-2007 at 07:13 AM.
Alan Yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #20
veinglory
volitare nequeo
AW Moderator

veinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsveinglory is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I washed a few dishes at school. I think there are multiple assumption that she was doing it for other kids (not reciprocally) because she is special needs. When there were cooking classes or special events we all washed a few dishes in school--because we all made a few. It was done on a sort of rotation. I also don't find it impossible that she soiled herself in purpose although any kind of charge would be dispropotionate. We simply don't know the full context.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #21
beezle
Cheers

beezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputationbeezle has a golden reputation
Maybe they should have just arrested her for making terrorist threats against a school.
beezle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:15 AM   #22
Godfather
back door man

Godfather is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGodfather is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGodfather is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGodfather is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGodfather is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGodfather is better than ice cream with hot fudgeGodfather is better than ice cream with hot fudge
god knows what would happen if she wet her bed.

- Joyce
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:42 AM   #23
KimJo
Outside the box, with the bunnehz

KimJo has a golden reputationKimJo has a golden reputationKimJo has a golden reputationKimJo has a golden reputationKimJo has a golden reputationKimJo has a golden reputation
The arrest of a child for wetting herself is completely ridiculous, and I'm glad they dropped the charges. In reference to the dishwashing, from the article linked in the original post, it sounds like the girl's special education class had prepared a lunch. In that case, the dishwashing would have been a logical part of the preparation, cleaning up after themselves. As astonwest said, life skills are often part of special education programs, and that would include both the preparation of the lunch and the cleanup afterward. It may be that other students also had to wash dishes, or that each student was assigned a specific task related to the luncheon and it happened to be this girl's turn to wash the dishes. I've worked in special ed classes where things like this are routine, and the jobs are done on a rotating basis. She wasn't cleaning up after the entire school or anything, from the article; she was cleaning up after her classmates and teachers from her special education class.
COMING SOON:
Covenant (Dark Path 1), Jupiter Gardens, TBD
High Heels and Lipstick Deep Secrets and Hope 3, Harmony Ink, 2/2015

As Karenna Colcroft
My contemporary romance site- Over 18 only!
My contemporary romance library
COMING SOON:
Knot Intended, Loose Id, TBD

KimJo is offline   Reply With Quote