Grandma Susie's House of FUN and MORE FUN!

alleycat

Waiting for Godot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I buy Girl Scout cookies and tell them to take them to the local Alzheimer's home or somewhere like that. I know what would happen if I took the cookies . . . I would sit there and mindlessly eat a whole box.

alleycat

Waiting for Godot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Those Girl Scouts are tough.

"Do you want to buy some cookies, mister, or would you rather have three little girls standing in your driveway crying and pointing at the man who was mean to us?"

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
It must be different down here in Australia, but I only remember ever selling one thing as part of a school fundraiser... Boxes of chocolates! Like, choc-coated nuts, bars of whatever, that sort of thing. And, erm, I ate the whole lot myself. I'm not proud.

Oh, who am I kidding? I regret nothing! (Even if I got yelled at by mum because she now had to pay for expensive chocolates that I'd already eaten.)

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, Cliff. Who can blame you? It's too tempting for a kid! They don't do it like that anymore here--they don't give the kids the merchandise, only an order form. We pay, and the kid either receives and then delivers everything on one day, or we go to the school to pick it up.

Also, wrapping paper isn't quite as yummy as chocolates.

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I once organized a "non fundraiser" because parents were sick of spending so much money on overpriced stuff. The profits those companies made!!! I distributed flyers that explained the concept, and just asked for money to support the school and not Joe Cookie Dough or Wrapping Paper Jane. Great idea right?

Nope. I discovered people love spending $30 on small boxes of chocolates or gummy bears. Plus they were doing it so junior could get prizes for selling stuff. It was pretty unAmerican of me to take that away from them!

Sigh. I don't get hoomins..

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Sigh. I don't get hoomins..

I don't believe your problem here is about hoomins in general, but more specifically 'merican hoomins. The 'merican hoomin fully expects a work-reward activity based on both entertainment and perceived market value. There's no entertainment in just handing cash over unless donators names and amounts were to be listed in public on a plaque or t-shirt back so a little boasting and shamming can happen. And, as you already noted there's no great lesson in sales and consumer capitalism for the kiddies to get their feet wet, no cut-throat sales win-win-win at all costs because money is the only important thing-thing. Just asking for money is like a public service announcement at 3am, or a pbs pledge drive: they just turn the channel. It's not your fault. It's just the way they've been raised.

*for more insights like this on the social dysfunction of modern day 'Mericans just send three easy payments of 99.95 to KellyAssauer before midnight tonight to get this super special, aw only half-off price, and a free pair of red-white-&-blue life blinders!*

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
oooh, I really want a redwhiteandblue life blinder!

Wait...what's a life blinder again?

Eh, who cares...it sounds cool..

(Yeah, I do understand their mindset, but I don't like it. This occurred a few years after 9/11, when I naively hoped americans would finally wake up and value what's important in life, like relationships instead of material goods. But that dream crashed when George Dubya told his fellow 'mericans to get back out there and support the economy by spending spending spending!)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
*takes notes for upcoming release: Feeding, Care and Raising of Your Own Politician*

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay...Kells...you're not just cashing in on the trend, are you?

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
*for more insights like this on the social dysfunction of modern day 'Mericans just send three easy payments of 99.95 to KellyAssauer before midnight tonight to get this super special, aw only half-off price, and a free pair of red-white-&-blue life blinders!*
Garsh, thought I woke up in the PAC thread for a moment there.

I'll take a couple, though I think I'd prefer the one on social malaise(or is it mayonnaise). I'll have to spread out the payments a bit more - say 200 or 300.

But who among us hasn't fallen into that same trap now and again? A rare beast indeed that after reaching the pinnacle of fame is willing to give it all up.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
So not running around with her deranged free range fowl?

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Better than my wet box in the middle of the street. I used to have to wake up and lick the street clean! And eat cold gravel for breakfast!

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. You finally did it. Some people take months, but hey, you're an over-achiever.

*head lowered curtsy*

:Clap:

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I once saw a decal on a pickup with an image of the Statue of Liberty holding an assault rifle with the word 'Merica below it. There also was a decal that said Titties or GTFO. All I thought was could this guy be anymore of a d-bag?

Anyway, I'm currently taking lunch before heading back to the shop. This should be the last hot day for a bit. I'm looking forward to the cool down.

NathanBrazil

riff-raff
Registered
Reaction score
I've always found the Live Free or Die :evil stickers funny. And then there's always - "gas, grass, or ass - no one rides for free"