So what's for dinner?

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I think if it was called something other than "offal" more people would be willing to eat it. Although I do like liver.

MM

The whole liver and onions and bacon thing is simply perfect. Sadly, Hunny can't stand the smell of it cooking.

*sigh*

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
The whole liver and onions and bacon thing is simply perfect. Sadly, Hunny can't stand the smell of it cooking.

*sigh*

Yeah, I can't either. And with liver anything, the first taste is delicious but then there's an immediate second taste that's just awful.

I've decided to stop trying it. :(

I used to make giant amounts of chopped chicken liver. Everyone who liked liver raved about it, but I couldn't eat it.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I can't either. And with liver anything, the first taste is delicious but then there's an immediate second taste that's just awful.

I used to make giant amounts of chopped chicken liver. Everyone who liked liver raved about it, but I couldn't eat it.
I've had good chicken liver (bacon wrapped IIRC) but I've never been able to make it successfully.

I think with a lot of folks, it's the consistency. It's not like regular meat.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've had good chicken liver (bacon wrapped IIRC) but I've never been able to make it successfully.

I think with a lot of folks, it's the consistency. It's not like regular meat.

For a while in grad school I got a gig as a fake French maid working for a Beverly Hills caterer.

I was hired because I could read French and deal with making the menus etc.

I eventually got promoted to back-of-house and didn't have to display my short Shetland pony legs in the maid uniform.

I got all the leftovers I wanted, which pretty much was what I ate (and drank).

There would often be foie gras.

I kept trying it but both the weird chalk-and-fat texture and the taste just weren't for me.

I traded it for avocados and figs and lemons from a faculty member's yard.

Last edited:

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
For a while in grad school I got a gig as a fake French maid working for a Beverly Hills caterer.

I was hired because I could read French and deal with making the menus etc.

I eventually got promoted to back-of-house and didn't have to display my short Shetland pony legs in the maid uniform.

I got all the leftovers I wanted, which pretty much was what I ate (and drank).

There would often be foie gras.

I kept trying it but both the weird chalk-and-fat texture and the taste just weren't for me.

I traded it for avocados and figs and lemons from a faculty member's yard.

I've never actually had foie gras, but it's on my bucket list. I do like avocados and figs.

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Friday is pizza night. Saturday, on the other hand, is country ribs, potatoes au gratin, tomato cakes, and cabbage (haven't decided on slaw, fried, or boiled; just know the husband wants cabbage).

My Crohn's is flaring up, so I have no appetite for anything right now. My daughter, who is a saint, made me a monster breakfast this morning: steak, eggs, fried potatoes and toast. And I could barely choke down a bite. I ended up putting it in the fridge: ate a little for breakfast, a little more for lunch, and finished off the last for supper (the rest of the family had vegetable soup, which I hate).

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
I think if it was called something other than "offal" more people would be willing to eat it. Although I do like liver.

MM
have you tried wrapping cubes of liver in bacon?

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score

So true about that second taste! Why is that, haha?

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
My parents were liver lovers--came from growing up in the Depression, I guess. I learned to slather it in mustard--nothing fancy, plain old yellow Plochman's mustard. That takes away the bitter taste. When my dad lived with me I had to make it a couple times a month.

had eggplant again today--- 2! 2 eggplants down. 1! 1! 1! eggplant to go! Mwahhaha! (I feel like the Count from Sesame Street!) Funny thing, by next spring I will be craving eggplant again and cursing that I have to wait for it! --s6

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Tonight was my first attempt at making twice-cooked pork with leeks -- with a few last second changes.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
De-veining the liver early is the key. By de-veining I mean removing the bile glands and ducts. It's best done by blunt dissection and needs to be done in under an hour of slaughtering, but processors will not expend the time. It takes about ten minutes to devein a liver...properly

Fresh liver is very tasty but you will not find it in a grocery store or even a restaurant.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We'll just forage tonight. Went to a big craft/art fair today. One of the attractions is always the pulled pork sandwich. Usually we split one, today we each got our own. Yum!

MM

c.e.lawson

Registered
Reaction score
De-veining the liver early is the key. By de-veining I mean removing the bile glands and ducts. It's best done by blunt dissection and needs to be done in under an hour of slaughtering, but processors will not expend the time. It takes about ten minutes to devein a liver...properly

Fresh liver is very tasty but you will not find it in a grocery store or even a restaurant.

Oh, so THAT's why the yucky second taste. Thank you!

jallenecs

Searching for Wonderland
Registered
Reaction score
Pork ribs tonight, as I mentioned the other day. As a rule, I don't like BBQ -- too sweet -- but Hubby makes a great Carolina-inspired sauce that I like. So he's making his sauce right now, and that's what I'm cooking the ribs with. Never done this before, so it's going to be a fun experiment.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Despite that Scotland lost the (footie) game last night, we had a little Scottish feast today: haggis, spiced up with a wee drum of whisky. I was confident that there were some parsnips left in the fridge but it turned out there were none left, so a quick improvisation followed. Thus, the drunken haggis was joined by a garnish of carrots, potatoes and apples (to make up for the missing parsnip sweetness), cooked with lots of honey and mixed spice, resulting in a very Christmassy fragrance this time, yey!
For those of you that don't know what "haggis" is, I can only say that it's much better not knowing anyway ;)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Despite that Scotland lost the (footie) game last night, we had a little Scottish feast today: haggis, spiced up with a wee drum of whisky. I was confident that there were some parsnips left in the fridge but it turned out there were none left, so a quick improvisation followed. Thus, the drunken haggis was joined by a garnish of carrots, potatoes and apples (to make up for the missing parsnip sweetness), cooked with lots of honey and mixed spice, resulting in a very Christmassy fragrance this time, yey!
For those of you that don't know what "haggis" is, I can only say that it's much better not knowing anyway ;)

Haggis = great chieftan o' the puddin' race.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Despite what everybody says, I honestly would like to try haggis (the Scottish dish, not the chihooey). Hell, I love kishka, a Polish pork blood and barley sausage (no, that's not missing an extra comma), so it doesn't seem that far off from haggis (the Scottish dish, not the chihooey).

And for dinner tonight/last night, homemade bacon cheeseburger macaroni and cheese. I made macaroni and cheese from scratch then threw in some browned ground beef and bacon, and topped it with panko crumbs seasoned with Italian seasoning. Maybe could've used some onion, but it turned out delicious. Might have some ketchup on it next time for the full effect.

Last edited:

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Haggis is delicious, really tasty and comforting expecially with swede (not parsnips as someone said above) and mashed potato.

I am having a veggie month or two and bought a vegetarian haggis the other day; it isn't the same thing (by a country mile) but it is tasty in its own way and is possibly single most filling food I have ever eaten! Not only does it fill you up but it keeps the hunger away for hours! (I am finding a lot of veggie food fills me up but not for long...)

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Haggis is
not as vile as andouilette. Which, as the chef explained to me in a very small hamlet in rural France was supposed to taste the way it tasted. "Mais oui, bien sûr. It tastes a little like sheet, but not too much like sheet."

ETA: FWIW, it tasted entirely too much like sheet.

True andouillette is rarely seen outside France and has a strong, distinctive odour related to its intestinal origins and components. Although sometimes repellent to the uninitiated, this aspect of andouillette is prized by its devotees.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I made a green salad, with spinach leaves, chopped chives, sliced roma tomatoes, asparagus tips, and grilled capsicum, drizzled in olive oil and tossed with some surprise chili sauce.