Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Pop Culture > Movies, TV, and Theater
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
Tornadoboy
I bite

Tornadoboy is well-respected
The Shining - Kubrick's VS television mini-series

Which adaptation of Stephen King's "The Shining" did you like better, Stanley Kubrick's or the television mini-series?

Personally I like them both on their own differing merits, but I'll get into that later.

Last edited by Tornadoboy; 08-13-2007 at 04:27 AM.
Tornadoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 04:29 AM   #2
MonaLeigh
Wasting time

MonaLeigh has a spectacular aura
I hated the mini-series and loved the Stanley Kubrick.
MonaLeigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #3
kristie911
Happy to be here

kristie911 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskristie911 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskristie911 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskristie911 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskristie911 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskristie911 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskristie911 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskristie911 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskristie911 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskristie911 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentskristie911 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Kubrick's version, definitely.

The only positive about the mini-series is it seemed to be a little truer to the book...or at least they included more stuff. But I still didn't like it as well.
Old 08-13-2007, 05:50 AM   #4
Jersey Chick
Is it hot in here, or it just Hugh?

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I liked the mini-series because it was so close to the book. And, much as I love Jack Nicholson, he was at least ten years too old to play Jack Torrance - though he is real creepy in the movie.

Guess I'm the oddball, eh?

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website
Jersey Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:00 AM   #5
childeroland
What happened to my LIFE?!

childeroland is a glorious beacon of lightchilderoland is a glorious beacon of lightchilderoland is a glorious beacon of light
The mini-series is probably much closer to the book but the Kubrick film...jeez, it's Kubrick. IMHO, the former seems more like a somewhat klutzy literal translation of a masterpiece while the latter 'reads better' though further from the original.
childeroland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #6
Just Mike
A trifle upsetting, isn't he

Just Mike has a spectacular aura
The mini-series was watchable and stuck closer to the source material, which is always a plus for me.

As for the Kubrick version . . .

Look, casting the woman born to play Olive Oyl was, um, odd. It kind of threw me off of my feed.

Nice visuals, though.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:47 AM   #7
CoriSCapnSkip
New kid, be gentle!

CoriSCapnSkip is a glorious beacon of lightCoriSCapnSkip is a glorious beacon of light
Obviously in the miniseries, the lady chosen to play Wendy was much closer to the book's description. Also, the boy who played Danny was an actor with a much wider range, but also older and not as cute. I liked both, but lean towards the movie.
CoriSCapnSkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:15 AM   #8
Lyra Jean
Two years old now.

Lyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I liked the movie better.

My history Blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear

My Quilting Blog: A Stitch in Time

WIP: For Love or Country rough draft
Chapter One complete 2,034
Lyra Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:10 AM   #9
zahra
and she was never seen again

zahra has a golden reputationzahra has a golden reputationzahra has a golden reputationzahra has a golden reputationzahra has a golden reputationzahra has a golden reputation
Film, of course. I don't know anyone who preferred the mini. For me, although it stuck close to the book, it seemed sterile and didn't scare me.
OPEN HOUSE About to start
UNEARTHED You're next, love.
zahra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:01 PM   #10
clockwork
In the zone...
SuperModerator

clockwork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclockwork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclockwork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclockwork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclockwork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclockwork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclockwork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclockwork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclockwork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclockwork is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsclockwork is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The film is a masterpiece. But not the chopped-for-tv mess-o-rama version.

clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:57 AM   #11
Writer2011
practical experience, FTW

Writer2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished road
Hands down the Kubrick version. I LOVE the red bathroom--that's sooo Kubrick It's a masterpiece and there is an alternate ending from what i've heard.

The mini-series is closer to the book but not nearly as good. And that kid who played Danny----what's up with his teeth? He looks like a rabbit..sorry but he's creepier than Jack
Writer2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 03:14 AM   #12
rosebud1981
росебуд1981

rosebud1981 is well-respected
The film, without a doubt.

As much as I love the book I was always a little dissatisfied with the ending. I think the ending of Kubrick's film is much better, even if Stephen King himself wasn't at all happy about it.

The film really is a masterpiece. One of the few genuinely scary films