Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > The Break Room > Office Party
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
The weather

Right, as I'm English, I'm allowed to talk about the weather whenever I like so here it is.

Is your local forecast ever right? According to the Met Office and the BBC, it should have been raining and no more than 15 degrees for the last three days in my town. Well, it's been 20+ and sunny since Monday.
Do they just look out of the window and make it up based on that or do they have any idea what the weather will be like more than an hour in advance?
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:46 PM   #2
alleycat
Beware.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Where I live they go crazy on TV whenever there's even the slightest chance of snow. They would rather predict snow six times and only be right once, than to not predict it and then have it come.

The funniest thing was a small radio station in my hometown. They would read the weather report they got earlier regardless of the current weather. It would go something line "The high for today is expected to be 74 . . . currently it's 82." And I guess they were in a booth and couldn't even see outside, sometime they would said it was going to be clear and sunny all day . . . and at the time it was raining.
alleycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:53 PM   #3
poetinahat
SuperModerator

poetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Humph. When I got here, the joke was that being an Australian weather forecaster was the easiest job in the world. It was always either "fine" or "mostly fine".

Well, after thirteen years of drought, half our state's under water now. Cop that, weatherboys. Now tell us what's next.

'Course, the surf reporters seem to get it pretty right, but it matters to them.

See how careful review of others' works can give you insight into your own!

poetinahat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:58 PM   #4
alleycat
Beware.
SuperModerator

alleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsalleycat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetinahat View Post
Humph. When I got here, the joke was that being an Australian weather forecaster was the easiest job in the world. It was always either "fine" or "mostly fine".
Sounds like San Diego. "Today, sunny and warm. Tomorrow, sunny and warm. The seven-day forecast . . . sunny and warm."
Old 06-21-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
III
rockin the suburbs

III is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsIII is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Sounds like San Diego. "Today, sunny and warm. Tomorrow, sunny and warm. The seven-day forecast . . . sunny and warm."
Stay classy, San Diego.

III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:31 PM   #6
SpookyWriter
Banned

SpookyWriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSpookyWriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSpookyWriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSpookyWriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSpookyWriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSpookyWriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSpookyWriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSpookyWriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSpookyWriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSpookyWriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSpookyWriter is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Forecasting the weather in Arizona is easy.

IT'S HOT!

SpookyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
Ol' Fashioned Girl
Irish to my roots & an
AW Moderator

Ol' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Where I live they go crazy on TV whenever there's even the slightest chance of snow.
Hey, come take a gander at Gary England here in Oklahoma City. That man's been in movies, videos, TV specials, documentaries... he's made a good living off of 'Stay tuned to TV 9. We'll keep you advised.'

Click us... come on! Click us. You want to. You know you do.
Ol' Fashioned Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 05:49 PM   #8
Bmwhtly
Yes, I'm back.

Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy
Bmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Well, can you imagine the type of people who would Choose to predict the weather for a living?
Exactly.
"Anyone who can't stomach a bit of hypothetical grotesquery needs to toughen up, because the way the world's going, we'll all spend our final days scrabbling through a pile of steaming rubble, desperately scavenging for bits of charred baby to eat with our bare hands. And under those circumstances, a dark sense of humour will be a massive advantage."
Bmwhtly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:02 PM   #9
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I watch the Weather Channel - and then I listen to the local talk radio station. The weather guy on the radio is right about 99% - the Weather Channel, not so much. If Allan Kasper (radio guy) says it's going to snow, believe me, it's going to snow. So far, he's the only one who ever gets it right and I wonder how, since I thought most of them got their info from NOAA or some similar source.

My books... Go ahead. You know you want to...

My Blog Facebook Twitter and last, but not least, my Website
Jersey Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #10
Siddow
I'm super! Thanks for asking

Siddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSiddow is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Right now we're going through a spell of 'hot, humid, with a chance of afternoon thunderstorms' and that pretty much covers it.

And ugh, San Diego weather! I lived out there for a year, and by the time I left, all I wanted to see was some rain. A few clouds. Anything but that blasted 'clear, 80 degrees' crap day after day. It's not natural.

A picture is worth a thousand words, but it uses up three thousand times the memory.

Siddow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #11
ccarver30
The Appleton House

ccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsccarver30 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I live in Michigan and let me tell ya, our weather changes every 5 mins. It totally sucks!!
ccarver30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:27 PM   #12
Backward Masking
Why so serious?

Backward Masking has earned our admirationBackward Masking has earned our admirationBackward Masking has earned our admirationBackward Masking has earned our admiration
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarver30 View Post
I live in Michigan and let me tell ya, our weather changes every 5 mins. It totally sucks!!
Well I live in Missouri... our weather changes every 3 minutes. :P
Old 06-21-2007, 06:33 PM   #13
Bmwhtly
Yes, I'm back.

Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy
Bmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBmwhtly is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarver30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backward Masking View Post
Well I live in Missouri... our weather changes every 3 minutes. :P
There's a saying round these parts.
"If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes."

So when the weather-folk say it's going to be "Changeable" they ain't wrong.
"Anyone who can't stomach a bit of hypothetical grotesquery needs to toughen up, because the way the world's going, we'll all spend our final days scrabbling through a pile of steaming rubble, desperately scavenging for bits of charred baby to eat with our bare hands. And under those circumstances, a dark sense of humour will be a massive advantage."
Bmwhtly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #14
alleycat
Beware.
SuperModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwhtly View Post
There's a saying round these parts.
"If you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes."
I think that's said about almost every place except San Diego and Antarctica. We use it in Tennessee, I've heard it about New England, Michigan, Cincinnati, Oklahoma . . .

Some people credit Mark Twain with the saying, but I'm sure it was used long before he said it.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:48 PM   #15
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
We're looking at thunderstorms tomorrow and Saturday. Which probably means we'll get snow.
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:53 PM   #16
MidnightMuse
Midnight Reading

MidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsMidnightMuse is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Here it's: Mostly cloudy, with chances of rain or showers. Tomorrow, partly sunny with chances of sprinkles. For the 5-day outlook - We have a mix of rain, clouds, showers, sun, morning fog, spotty showers, light mist, some sun, mostly cloudy and look for the sun to make an appearance in there somewhere.

Maybe.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:29 PM   #17
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

Jersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJersey Chick is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
It is a non-typical summer day here. NJ is really just a big swamp broken up by pavement, so it's usually steamy, muggy, sticky - I mean, you can actually see the air come August.

But today is sunny and warm, but no humidity... the weather gods are going to make us pay big time eventually

Old 06-21-2007, 07:31 PM   #18
Writer2011
practical experience, FTW

Writer2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished roadWriter2011 is on a distinguished road
It's been in the 90's here in North Carolina (where I am that is)... and I never watch The Weather Channel...or hardly watch the weather forecast...

As for July and August... YUCK! The humidity is so thick, you can cut it with a chainsaw.
Writer2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #19
Jersey Chick
Up all night to get Loki

They go crazy here as well - snowstorms, hurricanes - if it's broadcast as severe weather, bread and milk fly off the shelves. You'd think we were going to be snowed in from January until March. If that happens, I guess all you need is bread and milk to survive. It's amazing. The longest I can recall being snowed in for was in '96, when we had over 3 feet of snow dumped on us. The roads were closed for three days.

Back then, I worked in a liquor store (which also see a boom in business at the mention of bad weather) and when the store reopened, people were actually angry that we were closed. Some had walked through 3+ feet of snow! Crazy.

Old 06-21-2007, 08:48 PM   #20
Pagey's_Girl
If you leave...

Pagey's_Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPagey's_Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPagey's_Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPagey's_Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPagey's_Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPagey's_Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPagey's_Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPagey's_Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPagey's_Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsPagey's_Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I have one of those weather radios, and they always go nuts forecasting major ICE STORMS!!!!11 in the winter. Otherwise, they're pretty good. I usually ignore the TV forecasts, except for the Weather Channel. They're never right and always carry on as if the next storm is going to be TEH END OF TEH WORLD!

One of the local stations spent a couple of years naming winter storms the way they name hurricanes.

WIPS - "The Island" - on first draft rewrite, big time
The Kensington Horror - in progress
Hallowed Ground - percolating

Remember Neda

Pagey's_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote