Happy Christmas!

Happy Holidays!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > AW Roundtable
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2006, 06:44 PM   #1
Bubastes
bananaed

Bubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Stupid things non-writers say

Mini-rant (not enough coffee yet this a.m.):

My Dad, who is well-meaning but a bit self-absorbed and clueless, inspired this "stupid things to say to a writer" thread. Any time the topic of writing comes up (which is not often because I refuse to talk about it these days), he says, "You know who's made a lot of money writing? Harold Robbins! You could be like him!" Yes, he's said this more than once.

Um, yeah. You'd think he'd at least pick a better, or at least more recent example, like Dan Brown. Not that either of them write litfic, romance, or food essays (my genres).

The pathetic part is that he has no clue what I write, nor does he bother asking me (like I said, self-absorbed). Oh, and he's never even read Harold Robbins's books. If he did, I don't think he'd be so eager for me to write "like him."

So, what are some stupid things people have said to you (besides the trusty "I want to write someday" or "I could have written [insert name of story here] if I had the time")?

Website | Twitter

Last edited by Bubastes; 11-29-2006 at 07:08 PM.
Bubastes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 06:54 PM   #2
TrainofThought
HŁndin von einem Schriftsteller

TrainofThought is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTrainofThought is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTrainofThought is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTrainofThought is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTrainofThought is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTrainofThought is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTrainofThought is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTrainofThought is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTrainofThought is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTrainofThought is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsTrainofThought is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I try to stay away from writing topics, but a month ago my aunt asked the title of my book. I told her the title with others sitting around and she said, along with another, “What? I don’t know that word. I don’t like the title, so you need to change it.” Being the smart a$$ I am I responded, “I don’t care whether you like it or not. If you don’t know the word, you definitely aren’t part of my target audience.” She shut up, we moved onto another topic and I doubt we will be discussing my book again.
TrainofThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:09 PM   #3
DWSTXS
Mr Mojo Risin...

DWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthoodDWSTXS is a candidate for sainthood
non writers idiocy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainofThought View Post
I try to stay away from writing topics, but a month ago my aunt asked the title of my book. I told her the title with others sitting around and she said, along with another, ďWhat? I donít know that word. I donít like the title, so you need to change it.Ē Being the smart a$$ I am I responded, ďI donít care whether you like it or not. If you donít know the word, you definitely arenít part of my target audience.Ē She shut up, we moved onto another topic and I doubt we will be discussing my book again.

Well....that reply was genius! I would loved to have been sitting there, watching the tense-ness meter peg over into the red.....LOL

Me, I would have probably told that person to go buy a dictionary.

'I'm in the kitchen. . .with the tombstone blues.'

Pics:
http://www.pbase.com/dwstxs

WIP's-
Blue-Eyed Son -available on Amazon.com in print and Kindle versions - 119k

Untitled sci-fi work. currently at 40k
DWSTXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #4
francist44
Tenacious to a fault

francist44 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I try to stay away from writing topics, but a month ago my aunt asked the title of my book. I told her the title with others sitting around and she said, along with another, ďWhat? I donít know that word. I donít like the title, so you need to change it.Ē Being the smart a$$ I am I responded, ďI donít care whether you like it or not. If you donít know the word, you definitely arenít part of my target audience.Ē She shut up, we moved onto another topic and I doubt we will be discussing my book again.

Lol. Spot-on!
francist44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:52 AM   #5
wazzujim
practical experience, FTW

wazzujim is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Too funny!
wazzujim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:06 PM   #6
James D. Macdonald
Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage

James D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJames D. Macdonald is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"I have a great idea for a book! You write it and we'll split the money."

"Gee, you must be rich!"

"I've always wanted to write but I've never had the time."
Old 11-29-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
Kudra
Back and on track

Kudra has a double-platinum reputationKudra has a double-platinum reputationKudra has a double-platinum reputationKudra has a double-platinum reputationKudra has a double-platinum reputationKudra has a double-platinum reputationKudra has a double-platinum reputation
Here I was celebrating my personal rejection from a big-time editor, and this silly non-writer person says, "But it's still a rejection, right?"

Sheesh. You think they'd learn.

(Maybe I'm the stupid one. )

Free E-course: How to Make an Extra $1,000 This Month
Kudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:49 AM   #8
aghast

aghast is well-respected
Quote:
Originally Posted by James D. Macdonald
"I have a great idea for a book! You write it and we'll split the money."

"Gee, you must be rich!"

"I've always wanted to write but I've never had the time."
add to these - anything i have read, and are you famous? like, duh - oh yeah get that 'are you going on oprah' thing a lot
aghast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:08 PM   #9
SherryTex
Working on 2nd WIP

SherryTex is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSherryTex is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSherryTex is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSherryTex is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSherryTex is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSherryTex is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSherryTex is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSherryTex is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSherryTex is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSherryTex is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSherryTex is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Ouch.

Okay, so your Dad thinks you should write like Harold Robbins, might ask why? Better yet, ask which book. Might tell him why you like writing what you write. Show him one of your recent pieces and ask him what he thinks --after he's read it.

What's the title TOT? You just lost what could have been a sure buyer of your book by not being gracious of her ignorance. You could have told her what it meant and why the title fit so perfectly and then she would have learned a word, learned more about your book and perhaps been intrigued enough to go home and tell her friends about her niece the writer who would be published soon.

https://museituppublishing.com/books...f-helen-detail
You can also like me on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/TheBookofHelen
SherryTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
Bubastes
bananaed

Bubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsBubastes is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by SherryTex
Ouch.

Okay, so your Dad thinks you should write like Harold Robbins, might ask why? Better yet, ask which book. Might tell him why you like writing what you write. Show him one of your recent pieces and ask him what he thinks --after he's read it.
He hasn't read anything by Harold Robbins. He just sees the money.

The only Robbins book I've read is Descent From Xanadu (I read it when I was a teenager). It was unintentionally hilarious.

Website | Twitter
Bubastes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 08:45 PM   #11
TrickyFiction
Who?

TrickyFiction is a glorious beacon of lightTrickyFiction is a glorious beacon of lightTrickyFiction is a glorious beacon of light
While discussing the possibility of including a novel project into my curriculum, my professor suddenly gets all hush hush and says, "We'd better be quiet. Anyone could steal your idea."

Good grief.

My father: "You should try to emulate Dan Brown. You know, write another Da Vinci Code."

Last edited by TrickyFiction; 11-29-2006 at 08:47 PM.
TrickyFiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:11 PM   #12
Ol' Fashioned Girl
I can haz Christmas?
AW Moderator

Ol' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsOl' Fashioned Girl is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
"A writer? Oh. So... um... what do you do?"

Click us... come on! Click us. You want to. You know you do.
Ol' Fashioned Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 04:05 AM   #13
mmallico

mmallico is a shiny, shiny jewelmmallico is a shiny, shiny jewel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Fashioned Girl View Post
"A writer? Oh. So... um... what do you do?"
We party like their is no tomorrow and laugh at the idoits who buy our books. Here's your sign.
mmallico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:40 PM   #14
Del
Sky isn't falling, ground is rising

Del is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsDel is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
My mom won't read my work because I call it horror. She says she thinks I'll be too gorey. So I asked her "who's your favorite author?" She said Jonathan Kellerman. So I go find a book by JK. The first chapter has a series of mutilations and same gender sex.

"MOTHER! Why do you read this crap?"

"He uses short paragraphs."

I write about monsters. He writes about a detective. I guess it depends on who is doing the mutilating. Go figure...
Del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:47 PM   #15
seun
Horror Man

seun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsseun is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
This isn't so much a stupid statement than a stupid idea. Non-writers have an idea that writing takes a lot of time but if I say I'm busy writing and can't do something else, they're surprised. It's as if I can do both at the same time or writing is less important than anything else.
seun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:53 PM   #16
xhouseboy
In the Yellow Woods

xhouseboy leaves trails of profuse coolnessxhouseboy leaves trails of profuse coolnessxhouseboy leaves trails of profuse coolnessxhouseboy leaves trails of profuse coolnessxhouseboy leaves trails of profuse coolness
Where do you get your ideas?

Little shop down the road's running a special on them. Buy one, get one free.

Professor of English, Ohio University.

Pedantic Alert: The above is quotation #689 from Michael Moncur's (cynical) Quotations.
xhouseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 10:22 PM   #17
Lyra Jean
Two years old now.

Lyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsLyra Jean is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by xhouseboy
Where do you get your ideas?

Little shop down the road's running a special on them. Buy one, get one free.
I'm totally going to use this one next time this question is asked of me.

So is that sentence grammatically correct cause I think my stepmom who's third language is English has better grammar than me. Is that sad or what?

My history Blog: Beyond Tourism: Florida's Yesteryear

My Quilting Blog: A Stitch in Time

WIP: For Love or Country rough draft
Chapter One complete 2,034
Lyra Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #18
uncommonspirit
taking the road less traveled by...

uncommonspirit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by seun View Post
This isn't so much a stupid statement than a stupid idea. Non-writers have an idea that writing takes a lot of time but if I say I'm busy writing and can't do something else, they're surprised. It's as if I can do both at the same time or writing is less important than anything else.
To be fair, in the everyday world it is possible to multi-task your work with other tasks. Most people do not realize that creative art takes place in parts of the brain that should not be disturbed during the process. That zen-like feeling where stories spring up from. Not having experienced it, they have no concept.

This attitude is not just for writers, but for every type of artist. If a person doesn't have the spark that drives to create, they will never truly understand. We are like creatures from another world to them. I think that artists also tend to not accept the scheduled thinking of the corporate world, we march to our own drummers. Another gap between us. In the corporate world, worth is measured by money and power. In the artist community, worth is measured by what you create. Two ideas that don't quite mesh.

I find that I just take a deep breath and remind myself that these non-creative people are my possible future customers. Their function is to buy. Mine is to create.

If I fall asleep with a pen in my hand, don't remove it - I might be writing in my dreams. ~Terri Guillemets
uncommonspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:58 PM   #19
Higgins
Banned

Higgins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for PresidentHiggins should run for President
wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delarege
My mom won't read my work because I call it horror. She says she thinks I'll be too gorey. So I asked her "who's your favorite author?" She said Jonathan Kellerman. So I go find a book by JK. The first chapter has a series of mutilations and same gender sex.

I write about monsters. He writes about a detective. I guess it depends on who is doing the mutilating. Go figure...
Short paragraphs? I'm unable to fathom that as a definite attraction one way or another.
Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 02:23 AM   #20
kimmeunier

kimmeunier is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delarege View Post

My mother used to read Stephen King, and Koontz, and I read the same books growing up. She said; I have never read a book, where the author uses swears! (Yes, she did read King, but apparently forgot what a pottie mouth he has.)"You need to take that out of your book, or nobody will even look at it. Let alone publish it."

Ha ha, okay I quit!!
kimmeunier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 09:33 PM   #21
slcboston
Fleece Navidad

slcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsslcboston is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delarege View Post
She said Jonathan Kellerman. So I go find a book by JK. The first chapter has a series of mutilations and same gender sex.

Oh, hey, I know that book. And in defense of your mother (and the author, whom I do enjoy and would not qualify as "crap" as opposed to any number of other authors out there - okay, ranting here) most of the Alex Delaware novels are short on gore.

Perhaps your mother isn't the only one being unfairly judgemental?

(I know this was posted MONTHS ago but I just got around to looking in this thread. Unless I've been here before, which I don't think I have...)

ďI don't mean to say that I know, of my own knowledge, what there is particularly dead about a door-nail. ... But the wisdom of our ancestors is in the simile; and my unhallowed hands shall not disturb it, or the Country's done forĒ

Out of work? Stop by the AW Special Unemployment Team
Password: serenity

Fleas ē Twits

Last edited by slcboston; 04-30-2008 at 09:35 PM. Reason: delay of post
slcboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #22
Dix
So, is that a no?

Dix is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post

This one is so choice! Made me laugh out loud.

(So, okay, I came late to the thread and was reading 2006!)

After all these years as a writer, I do understand the frustration in what you're all saying, but I've also learned that in many cases, though naive, it's well intentioned. Like Bubastes' father. At least he's not trying to be discouraging like some of the others are.

Last edited by Dix; 09-24-2011 at 09:25 AM.
Dix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:40 PM   #23
MysteryRiter
Murder isn't so bad...

MysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudgeMysteryRiter is better than ice cream with hot fudge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del View Post

So this is 6 years late, but I've never read this thread before... To this, I say:

MysteryRiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 07:58 PM   #24
Stew21
Shotgun - no Shambo
SuperModerator

Stew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsStew21 is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
I was at a local tavern (hometown hangout) and was with some friends. I was talking about writing my first MS. One of my friends is a beta reader for me. Some old guy that drinks too much and talks too much says, "hey! You could put us in the book! That would be great! There's gotta be a place in there for you to put all of us here in that book! This place is something special. You could write it and even use our real names."
:head smack:
"It's chick lit. I really doubt 5 drunk guys at the tavern down the street would have any bearing on the story."
"Well you could write it so it takes place in this town and then you could put us in."
Thankfully someone distracted him with a subject change to sports.

a poem: Mississippi Churning

I'll even read it to you

POETS: add your poetry reading recordings here! Please?
Stew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2006, 09:26 PM   #25
Haggis
Undead
SuperModerator

Haggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsHaggis is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew21
I was at a local tavern (hometown hangout) and was with some friends. I was talking about writing my first MS. One of my friends is a beta reader for me. Some old guy that drinks too much and talks too much says, "hey! You could put us in the book! That would be great! There's gotta be a place in there for you to put all of us here in that book! This place is something special. You could write it and even use our real names."
:head smack:
"It's chick lit. I really doubt 5 drunk guys at the tavern down the street would have any bearing on the story."
"Well you could write it so it takes place in this town and then you could put us in."
Thankfully someone distracted him with a subject change to sports.
Hey. I always have the same 5 drunk guys in everything I write. Do you suppose that's what's been holding me back?

Stewie the Chihuey
featuring the lovely and talented

Haggis is offline   Reply With Quote