Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Discussion > Grammar and Syntax
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2006, 03:45 AM   #1
mesh138
practical experience, FTW

mesh138 is on a distinguished road
Differentiating between "And"

One grammar thing I have trouble with is when to use a comma after "And."
I don't know the rule. I know you put it when listing things (I went to school, the library, and later to the nightclub). How about two sentences like these:

I put down the tray and ran to the door.
Waverly got upset and I didn't know what to do.
mesh138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 03:51 AM   #2
portraitgiver
photographer who writes sometimes

portraitgiver has earned our admirationportraitgiver has earned our admirationportraitgiver has earned our admirationportraitgiver has earned our admiration
Well, I'd say that both sentences don't require a comma...
portraitgiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:17 AM   #3
pianoman5
Means well

pianoman5 has a spectacular aurapianoman5 has a spectacular aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by mesh138
One grammar thing I have trouble with is when to use a comma after "And"
I guess you meant before "and".

In your first example: "I put down the tray and ran to the door"
it's not necessary, because only the first clause is independent.

Your second example is an interesting (and potentially confusing) one, because in this case the comma is optional:

"Waverly got upset, and I didn't know what to do."
is correct, because the two clauses are independent -- that is, each can stand alone, as in: "Waverly got upset. I didn't know what to do."

But equally, "Waverly got upset and I didn't know what to do." is fine, because the clauses are short.

How long do independent clauses need to be before the comma ceases to be optional? Ah, well, there's a question. That appears to be a matter for writerly judgement, if not plain old common sense, in which faithfully representing the desired rhythm is a guiding principle.

Last edited by pianoman5; 02-25-2006 at 05:21 AM. Reason: typo
pianoman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:19 AM   #4
Sage
Hero, villain, angel, demon
AW Moderator

Sage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsSage is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman5
But equally, "Waverly got upset and I didn't know what to do." is fine, because the clauses are short.

How long do independent clauses need to be before the comma ceases to be optional? Ah, well, there's a question. That appears to be a matter for writerly judgement, if not plain old common sense, in which faithfully representing the desired rhythm is a guiding principle.
I didn't know this was an option.

Love Sucks - Musa Publishing, B&N, Amazon
"Fireflies" - Absolute Visions

A Paranormal Bromance: Revising

Super/Human (Hero/Villain 2): NaNoWriMo

This week, I'm in: Ohio!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 05:47 AM   #5
reph
Fig of authority

reph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Two answers for the price of one

Quote:
I went to school, the library, and later to the nightclub.
Pianoman took care of your question. Here's another one: is the sample sentence above correctly constructed? Answer: no.

I went to
school
the library
later to the nightclub
"School" is a noun. "The library" is a noun with an article. So far, so good. But "to the nightclub" isn't a noun. It's a prepositional phrase. Not to get too technical, I hope, but the important thing isn't to have them all nouns or not; it's to have them all substantives or not. Nouns are substantives, and so are some other things.

This is correct: "I went to school, to the library, and later to the nightclub."

This is also correct: "I went to school, the library, and later the nightclub."
reph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 06:04 PM   #6
(grasshopper)

(grasshopper) is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by reph
Pianoman took care of your question. Here's another one: is the sample sentence above correctly constructed? Answer: no.
Ah yes, reph, you picked up on that, too.

I think part of the mechanism involved here is parallelism.

For example it would be okay to say:

I went to the school, to the library, and later to the nightclub.

But if you ellipse the preposition in one of the succeeding phrases, then you should ellipse it in all of them (just to keep things parallel).

I went to the school, (to) the library, and later (to) the nightclub.

I'm not sure but I think this is more a matter of aesthetics, rather than a rule.
(grasshopper) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 09:59 PM   #7
reph
Fig of authority

reph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsreph is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Right, it's parallelism

It's a rule. A failure of parallelism is a fault in the grammar of the sentence. People need to return to diagramming sentences.
Old 02-26-2006, 05:47 AM   #8
Jamesaritchie
resident curmudgeon

Jamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsJamesaritchie is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
comma

Quote:
I don't know the rule. I know you put it when listing things (I went to school, the library, and later to the nightclub). How about two sentences like these:

I put down the tray and ran to the door.
Waverly got upset and I didn't know what to do.
No comma in the first. Definitely a comma in the second.
Jamesaritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2006, 07:04 AM   #9
(grasshopper)

So it is a rule. Thank you. I should have checked.

Yes, I'd love to see the return of sentence diagramming in school. You know, when I was trying to find reference books on diagramming, I called my local grammar school to see if they had any books on the subject. They didn't, of course, and the concept was so foreign to them that they had trouble understanding what I wanted at first.

I had to laugh at the irony when I hung up. It was a grammar school for heaven's sake!
Old 03-02-2006, 09:27 PM   #10
sacredmime
Esteemed New Member

sacredmime is well-respected
Yes, grasshopper, I had the same problem when I had chemistry questions in my elementary school . Or when I had substance abuse questions for my high school counselor. (ugh, sorry about that
sacredmime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 06:33 AM   #11
(grasshopper)

I'm sorry, sacredmime. I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean.
Old 03-03-2006, 06:38 AM   #12
reph
Fig of authority

(g'hopper), s'mime was punning.

chemistry . . . elementary school

substance abuse . . . high school
Old 03-03-2006, 06:41 AM   #13
(grasshopper)

Hang on a minute. . . .

Chemistry questions in an elementary school . . .
Abuse problems for a counselor . . .

(Bing) the little light just went on.

Good one.

You deserve a rep point for that!
Old 03-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #14
Phouka
figuring it all out

Phouka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by (grasshopper)
Yes, I'd love to see the return of sentence diagramming in school. You know, when I was trying to find reference books on diagramming, I called my local grammar school to see if they had any books on the subject. They didn't, of course, and the concept was so foreign to them that they had trouble understanding what I wanted at first.
I latched on a treasure trove of Grammar books from the early 1920s and 30s off eBay, which covered all the diagramming and odd grammar concepts that I never saw in school. I absolutely love them, and I can diagram a sentence with the best of them.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #15
Carmy
Banned

Carmy is a shiny, shiny jewelCarmy is a shiny, shiny jewel
Excuse me, but I may be reading this the wrong way.

All of the answers refer to a comma before "and", yes?

"Today I went to the zoo and, ignoring the rain, I walked around for hours."

I was taught at school that any clause, in the middle of a sentence, that could be taken out and still have the sentence make sense should be offset by commas.
Carmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 06:12 AM   #16
reph
Fig of authority

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmy
Yes. See post #3.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:21 AM   #17
poetinahat
Bumpkin
SuperModerator

poetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentspoetinahat is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmy
Excuse me, but I may be reading this the wrong way.

"Today I went to the zoo and, ignoring the rain, I walked around for hours."

I was taught at school that any clause, in the middle of a sentence, that could be taken out and still have the sentence make sense should be offset by commas.
Based on the earlier discussion, there is also an optional comma between "zoo" and "and". Personally, I like having it there.

The comma after the and is a different proposition altogether; it's not mutually exclusive with this optional comma.

See how careful review of others' works can give you insight into your own!

poetinahat is offline   Reply With Quote