Read Books By AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

editing for authors ad

A publisher or agency using Google ads to solicit your novel probably isn't anyone you want to write for.

Go Back   Absolute Write Water Cooler > Welcome to the Water Cooler > Tech Help > Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
Carole
How 'bout some ether?

Carole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Outlook tech help?

I might be the last person on earth who doesn't know how to do this. How do I use Outlook as my email program? I know how to use Outlook--I used it for years at my last job and I love it. My problem is (showing my ignorance here) I have email through at&t and I don't know how to connect the two, for lack of a better technical term.

I don't consider myself a stupid person, but I really haven't been able to figure this out. I tried a few years ago and gave up, and now I want to try again.

Contrary to popular belief, I think the line between being direct and being rude is not thin, and most people are fully aware of when they have crossed it.

Come see some familiar faces at:

Bloggity Bloggity Blog

Blog, Part II
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #2
shawkins
Puts the fun in function calls.
AW Paladin

shawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsshawkins is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
First, you should have gotten a piece of paper from AT&T that lists:

1. the AT&T email servers from which you will be getting your mail. There sould be one server labeled "Incoming" and another server labeled "Outgoing". They will be something like "mail.att.com"
2. your email address
3. your password

If you can't lay hands on it, either go to the AT&T web site and look it up or phone AT&T customer service.

The only Outlook I've got access to at the moment is outlook 2007, but I *think* setting up earlier versions is an almost identical process. If you run into something that doesn't match the directions below, let me know which version of Outlook you're using (this can be found in Outlook under the Help menu by clicking "About Microsoft Outlook")

1. Open Outlook.
2. On the "Tools" menu at the top, select "Account Settings"
3. This should open up a tabbed interface with a bunch of options on it. Click the tab for email.
4. Click "New"
5. Your first choice will be between two radio buttons labeled "Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, and HTTP" and "Other". Make sure "Other" is NOT selected, then click next.
6. The next screen should have a little box at the bottom that says "Manually configure server settings or additional server types." Check that box. Click next.
7. The next screen has 3 radio buttons that say "Internet E-Mail", "Microsoft Exchange" and "Other". Select "Internet E-Mail" and click next.
8. The next screen is where you fill in the information needed to connect to your remote email server.

Your Name: Carole Whatever
E-Mail Address: somebody@somewhere.com

Account Type: I'm 95% sure you need to pick POP3 here.
Incoming mail server: This should be on the card you got from AT&T.
Outgoung mail server: ditto

Login information: This should be on the card you got from AT&T
Password: ditto

9. After you've filled out the information, click "Test Account Settings". If it works, yay! If not, try checking the little box that says "Require login using Secure Password Authentication" and click "Test account settings" again. If it works now, yay! If not, try changing the "Account Type" from "POP3" to IMAP and testing again. If that doesn't work, PM me.

Good luck!
shawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 07:02 PM   #3
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
shawkins pretty much nailed it, but ATT does have a support "walkthrough" that might add some more assistance.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:31 AM   #4
Carole
How 'bout some ether?

Carole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsCarole is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
Thank you thank you THANK you!! I'm up and running now, but with one weird side-effect. When I log into my AT&T email account, it's consistently empty. I didn't realize that would happen. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. If my computer were to crash (God forbid!!), I'd lose everything, or so it seems. It looks like everything is just automatically being imported into Outlook, and AT&T is bone-dry.

Contrary to popular belief, I think the line between being direct and being rude is not thin, and most people are fully aware of when they have crossed it.

Come see some familiar faces at:

Bloggity Bloggity Blog

Blog, Part II
Carole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:35 AM   #5
Clair Dickson
A dark core to every cloud

Clair Dickson is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClair Dickson is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClair Dickson is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClair Dickson is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClair Dickson is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClair Dickson is better than ice cream with hot fudgeClair Dickson is better than ice cream with hot fudge
If you go into
Email Accounts--> View or Change existing accounts-->
Select your account and click "Change"
Fine the "More Settings" button and click that
Go to Advanced and find "Leave a copy of the message on the server." This means the mail server you use will keep a copy of your email. (I don't know yet how to force Outlook to get the old copies, but this is a start.)

Clair Dickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #6
Williebee
"Assume Good Intentions"
SuperModerator

Williebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate complimentsWilliebee is so great that we've run out of appropriate compliments
what Clair said.

"There's a Voodoo Game on in the Crescent City. Pray for the Pawns."

Available now where all kinds of cool books are sold.
Kobo Kindle Nook iBook
More stories by Eldon Hughes -- "I Found A Knife"

Read the Newbie Guide.

“You’re inventing your own misery. You’re defining yourself by pettiness. You get 70 years to live and you are enjoying being angry.” -- Russell Howard

"We're writers; we own our words. Please choose them to add light and not just heat."
Williebee is offline   Reply With Quote