• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I saw mention on another site that the follow-up email (the "Dear 1 of 238 Authors I have to mail a standard reply to..." email) was actually a joke sent by one of the original recipients, and not by the agent's assistant. Looking at the screenshot on the blog where I saw it, I'd have to agree that's how it looks. I won't link because the screenshot I saw includes personal info--the assistant's, the sender's, other recipients'... I really wish people wouldn't screenshot others' personal info. But, it was definitely a different name.

I've been in a situation like this before, on the querying front. I get it, it's weird. A well respected agency sent me a mass rejection very similar to this some years ago, and a recipient mass responded. It took me a while to figure out who was saying what, since I think of querying as a fairly intimate endeavor. It was never addressed, but it never happened again with this agency, to my knowledge.

I've dealt with Writers House several times in the past, at the query, partial, and full stages (and even signed with an agent I'd originally submitted to there shortly after he'd moved to another agency). I've dealt with several different assistants at different stages in the game. They've never been anything but professional. I truly believe that we're witnessing the colassal fallout of one assistant's mistake, which resulted in a very bad day for her.

Worse, I'm sure, than for any of the 238.

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
I received two emails from WH before receiving the Dear...

The first was a blank message - to the entire 238.

The second was the rejection - to the entire 238.

When I got the blank (with all addresses of 237 other people) my reaction was wth and I went to delete it. Then I said, something odd about this and I kept it. It was followed by the rejection letter.

The reactions to it (from the 238) are all over the board. I write mysteries, so I sort of look at it from that angle. I joined FB just so I could keep abreast of what's going on.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
I gather the second e-mail was one of the 238 writing a bit of a joke. That's what another of the 238 said on their blog anyhow.

Slartibartfast

Registered
Reaction score
Electronically queried Jodi Reamer in mid-January. Not among the Noble 238 (almost sorry to be-they're sure to pass into writerly lore), but I am wondering whether I ought to query again to be sure it got there.

I know she's very busy, and her assistant is said to be very busy, and hadn't thought much of it until checking Query Tracker. Several e-queries sent after mine by more than a month have duly received their polite e-passes. I would guess unsolicited queries are dispatched in the order received, which would mean mine probably got lost somewhere along the way.

What do you think? Is three and a half months still at least semi-normal for an agent this in-demand? And if I do follow up, er, how exactly does one go about that?

BlossomQueen

Playing the Waiting Game
Registered
Reaction score
Electronically queried Jodi Reamer in mid-January. Not among the Noble 238 (almost sorry to be-they're sure to pass into writerly lore), but I am wondering whether I ought to query again to be sure it got there.

I know she's very busy, and her assistant is said to be very busy, and hadn't thought much of it until checking Query Tracker. Several e-queries sent after mine by more than a month have duly received their polite e-passes. I would guess unsolicited queries are dispatched in the order received, which would mean mine probably got lost somewhere along the way.

What do you think? Is three and a half months still at least semi-normal for an agent this in-demand? And if I do follow up, er, how exactly does one go about that?

I have the same issue, only with another agent at this agency (and a couple others at different agencies as well). I think what you do is wait on it a week or so and then send an email with REQUERY in the subject line or so. I can't be entirely sure as I have done this already and didn't receive a response (from an agent who normally responds to everyone). But you can try it if you wish.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I have the same issue, only with another agent at this agency (and a couple others at different agencies as well). I think what you do is wait on it a week or so and then send an email with REQUERY in the subject line or so. I can't be entirely sure as I have done this already and didn't receive a response (from an agent who normally responds to everyone). But you can try it if you wish.

As do I! I queried Brianne Johnson on 3/6, and have yet to hear anything. If I'm getting an R, I'd rather have been number 239. :)

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score

Same. I queried her January 13th and nada. I too saw QT's stats and people after me got requests and rejections. So...I just requeried since 2.5 months does not seem to be the norm for her. *shrug* If she doesn't respond, 'twas not meant to be. When she requested my last ms it was exactly one month, so I have no clue what happened on this round.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
NEVER put "requery" in the subject line. Most agencies have a policy that doesn't allow writers to requery the same project. If you send that, you'll end up in the SPAM folder or get deleted unread.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
NEVER put "requery" in the subject line. Most agencies have a policy that doesn't allow writers to requery the same project. If you send that, you'll end up in the SPAM folder or get deleted unread.

Do you mistake me for a noob? :tongue I didn't. I just put my usual subject header: Query: YA yada yada yada.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Same. I queried her January 13th and nada. I too saw QT's stats and people after me got requests and rejections. So...I just requeried since 2.5 months does not seem to be the norm for her. *shrug* If she doesn't respond, 'twas not meant to be. When she requested my last ms it was exactly one month, so I have no clue what happened on this round.

LOL How long should I wait?

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score

Sorry, Cyia! Thought you were referring to my post.

LOL How long should I wait?

I don't know that agent's response times. As Cyia said re: JR, she responds at the 1-1.5 month mark, via her assistant. Normally I never requery and chalk it up to a non-responder, but JR seems to always respond so I figured I'd try once more....

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, Cyia! Thought you were referring to my post.

I don't know that agent's response times. As Cyia said re: JR, she responds at the 1-1.5 month mark, via her assistant. Normally I never requery and chalk it up to a non-responder, but JR seems to always respond so I figured I'd try once more....

Got you. Thanks!

BlossomQueen

Playing the Waiting Game
Registered
Reaction score

Hmm, didn't realize that...one agent I sent an email to has a policy you can requery her if you she doesn't respond after a month or so and noted what to do on her blog. Silly me for using an exception to the rule.

Slartibartfast

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies. What a helpful place.

Do any of you know what her procedure is? Does Alec Shane, her assistant, screen the queries? Sending on the ones he thinks she might like. Or does he request the partials, only sending on to her at that stage?

I thought it might be the former, which would mean it's the order in which she received queries from him that determines when replies are sent.

Cricket,

I actually don't see any requests after your query date, only rejections. If it is the case that her assistant screens the queries and the requests for partials come from her, it's possible that we're sitting in an Outlook folder somewhere awaiting her eyes. There are no requests on queries after January 3rd on (the admittedly tiny sample size of) Query Tracker.

I put forward this theory not only out of incurable optimism (this is not precisely true-it is optimism, but it's also easily cured) but because I want to avoid being a pest. It sounds like 2 1/2 months is a bit long even for her. On the other hand, knowing there are at least a couple other people out there who queried in mid-January and haven't heard, and that she always responds, soothes the ants a bit.

I think it might be best to wait on a followup until there's a request from a mid-January query.

BlossomQueen,

I think (but should be corrected if I'm wrong) Cyia meant that the title Requery will be mistaken for brand-new query on an already rejected project. That's obviously not what the agent meant by requery, so it's not really an exception to the rule so much as a problem of terminology.

They may have filters that block the subject line or a policy of deleting them unread.

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I received a March form rejection from her assistant on a January query, for what that's worth.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Slart,

JR almost never asks for a patial, and you should know that going in. Her stats are something like 1%. From what I gather, she's very methodical and requests or rejects in order. So the requests don't take longer, far as I can tell.

Also, her assistant reads the query, the partial, the full. Then, if he likes what he sees, he passes it all on to JR. I'm not a fan of this system because it gives the assistant all the power, but in this instance, that's how she does things.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Slart,

JR almost never asks for a patial, and you should know that going in. Her stats are something like 1%. From what I gather, she's very methodical and requests or rejects in order. So the requests don't take longer, far as I can tell.

Also, her assistant reads the query, the partial, the full. Then, if he likes what he sees, he passes it all on to JR. I'm not a fan of this system because it gives the assistant all the power, but in this instance, that's how she does things.

I agree, that systems a little arse-backwards. I understand the logistics and reasoning behind it, but still! When I query an agent, I'd at least expect THE AGENT to make the judgement on any sample. On the query...kinda iffy...that seems fair, since I assume the assistant knows EXACTLY what the agent wants/is looking for.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
It's very possible JR too reads the query. How their system works on that end, I have no clue.

As for the partial and full, it's first read by him, alas.

Slartibartfast

Registered
Reaction score
Cricket,

Thanks a lot. I figured he did the screening, but it seems we don't know whether she looks at just the final product (a full he thinks she'll like) or the queries/partials as well. The only reason it matters is that I'm wary of following up, but would like to query one other agent at Writers House. I think I'll hold off, at least until there's a request that post-dates my query.

These are the sorts of silly games I play with myself instead of writing.

And yeah, I don't think I fully appreciated when I queried just how selective an agent she is. I don't mind waiting as long as she takes, so long as it got to her.

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
Cricket,

Thanks a lot. I figured he did the screening, but it seems we don't know whether she looks at just the final product (a full he thinks she'll like) or the queries/partials as well.

According to a response on QT, her assistant says she does not read the partials, so my guess is once he reads the full and likes it, he passes the full on to her.

The only reason it matters is that I'm wary of following up, but would like to query one other agent at Writers House. I think I'll hold off, at least until there's a request that post-dates my query.

That could be a loooong time. If you look at QT, months and months and months can go by before someone records a request. If any agent doesn't respond after 3 months, it's safe and fair to query at that point.

These are the sorts of silly games I play with myself instead of writing.

And yeah, I don't think I fully appreciated when I queried just how selective an agent she is. I don't mind waiting as long as she takes, so long as it got to her.

Well, if it's been more than 1.5 months, my sense is she did not.

Keep me posted!

QueenViv

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what to send to Merrilee Heifetz? From what I could find out she only accepts the query + synopsis via snail mail. Is that correct?

jencarpy

Registered
Reaction score
hi friends! Queried Kristy King 2/25.I've had no response. I'd love to query another agent at the same agency though she was my top choice. :( Do I nudge? I hear on board here that people nudge. How do you do it? (sounds a little racy....) If it's no answer no interest, how long can I wait until submitting to another agent at their agency without nudging?
Thanks guys!

melnve

Registered
Reaction score
I don't generally nudge on queries unless it says specifically that the agent answers every query and to nudge if you get no response. Even then I would probably wait until the three month mark to nudge. I've only ever done it on subs though not queries.

I think Writers' House are fine with querying different agents within the agency, but I always like to wait a few months after the rejection. I have kind of a three month rule for everything!