• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
Be warned that if you choose to query a big agent, expect to wait a LOOOOONG time.

i'm so glad for you that you've moved on. it sounds like the right choice in this situation. but just know (so you don't limit yourself) that this statement isn't always true. i queried a big agent and got a same day request. her response to the full came in one month. this wasn't at Writer's House.

i can say at Writer's House that my query to Rebecca Sherman has gone unanswered after almost five months (and a requery), but both Dan Lazar and Steven Malk sent me personalized rejections within a few days.

it just depends. but good luck on your future query quest!

flygal716

Jump in the way of good luck
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had recent experience with Simon Lipskar/Katie Zanecchia? Timing on responses to fulls?

I queried Mr. Lipskar and heard back from Ms. Z. with the request. Do any of you know if she is his assistant or another agent that he might have passed along my manuscript to?

Thanks!

Beth Miller

Writers House, LLC
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had recent experience with Simon Lipskar/Katie Zanecchia? Timing on responses to fulls?

I queried Mr. Lipskar and heard back from Ms. Z. with the request. Do any of you know if she is his assistant or another agent that he might have passed along my manuscript to?

Thanks!

Katie is Simon's assistant.

sknipper

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.stephanieknipper.blogspot.com
i'm so glad for you that you've moved on. it sounds like the right choice in this situation. but just know (so you don't limit yourself) that this statement isn't always true. i queried a big agent and got a same day request. her response to the full came in one month. this wasn't at Writer's House.

i can say at Writer's House that my query to Rebecca Sherman has gone unanswered after almost five months (and a requery), but both Dan Lazar and Steven Malk sent me personalized rejections within a few days.

it just depends. but good luck on your future query quest!

I just wanted to second this. Writers House can be very fast. I queried Dan Lazar on 11/9. He asked for the full manuscript on the same day. This past Tuesday (11/29) he offered representation! I signed the contract today.

KYcactus

Registered
Reaction score
Stephanie—Wow. Big Congrats. Dan is a big deal, and you must have shared something very special to wow him so quickly.

Way to go.

sknipper

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thank you! I'm still stunned! I only started querying on Halloween. I didn't expect this at all.

Dan is great guy. He kept me informed the entire time he had my manuscript. If I emailed he responded right away. Really, I can't say enough good things about him!

mccleark

Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to second this. Writers House can be very fast. I queried Dan Lazar on 11/9. He asked for the full manuscript on the same day. This past Tuesday (11/29) he offered representation! I signed the contract today.

That's awesome! I know that agents can be fast. I guess I'm just frustrated because a WH agent said he'd work with revision on me and I haven't heard from him in over five months after I resubmitted my manuscript to him (which he said he was eagerly going to read). I'm befuddled. From everything I've read about him-- it's out of his personality to clearly ignore me. I've been nothing but professional, patient, and polite. It's just weird.

Congrats! Dan is a big deal. Whoo hoo! :)

sknipper

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I guess I'm just frustrated because a WH agent said he'd work with revision on me and I haven't heard from him in over five months after I resubmitted my manuscript to him (which he said he was eagerly going to read). I'm befuddled. From everything I've read about him-- it's out of his personality to clearly ignore me. I've been nothing but professional, patient, and polite. It's just weird.

I'd be frustrated too. In fact, I'd be banging my head on the table. I just want to send some encouragement your way. I know it's easy for me to say, but you've gotten this far. That means you're doing something right. Keep doing what you're doing. You'll get there.

Lot's of hugs,

Jolly-Boo

Please, call me Boo
Registered
Reaction score

Wow! Congratulations!
But wow ... that's super fast.

I'm planning on querying Dan as well. Read good things about him and ... in appearence he simply looks like an easy person to talk to. Still deciding whether I should start with pitch or novel intro.

If it's not odd of me asking, did you guy meet for the contract signing? I don't really know how anyone from WH would feel of representing someone who lives in Norway. Quite far. Don't know if mailing a contract is weird or not.

Last edited:

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Wow! Congratulations!
But wow ... that's super fast.

I'm planning on querying Dan as well. Read good things about him and ... in appearence he simply looks like an easy person to talk to. Still deciding whether I should start with pitch or novel intro.

If it's not odd of me asking, did you guy meet for the contract signing? I don't really know how anyone from WH would feel of representing someone who lives in Norway. Quite far. Don't know if mailing a contract is weird or not.

Jolly-Boo, from what I understand (and I'm not speaking from personal experience here, just from what I've heard around the blogosphere), A LOT of contracts get mailed. In fact, I'd go so far as to say most writers don't meet their agents and/or editors in person for years.

Two of my critique partners recently signed with agents (and one's even landed her first book deal), and neither of them have met their agents in person. I wouldn't worry about it.

Jolly-Boo

Please, call me Boo
Registered
Reaction score
Jolly-Boo, from what I understand (and I'm not speaking from personal experience here, just from what I've heard around the blogosphere), A LOT of contracts get mailed. In fact, I'd go so far as to say most writers don't meet their agents and/or editors in person for years.

Two of my critique partners recently signed with agents (and one's even landed her first book deal), and neither of them have met their agents in person. I wouldn't worry about it.

Phew. Good; thank you for the answer. A plain tickets across the Atlantic for a contract signing is rather expensive for me, though maybe that's because I've only looked at the most expensive airline ...

Last edited:

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Phew. Good; thank you for the answer. A plain tickets across the Atlantic for a contract signing is rather expensive for me, though maybe that's because I've only looked at the most expensive airline ...

Hi, fellow European! Don't worry about this one bit. I got my agency contract through paper mail, though I've heard of e-mail agreements as well. Zero face-to-face contact required. (In fact, I had no idea what my agent even looked like until I interviewed him for my blog and asked him for a photo. This was months after signing.)

sknipper

Registered
Reaction score
Website

It's not an odd question at all. Here's what happened for me. Dan emailed me the contract. I printed out two copies, signed them, and then mailed them to him. He'll sign them then mail me my copy.

And good luck with your query! You're right, Dan is a super nice guy. Very easy to talk to, and on the ball.

As for pitching the novel or starting with the intro, have you checked out Query Letter Hell here on Absolute Write? I think you'd get a lot of help on the query letter there.

Good luck!

Jolly-Boo

Please, call me Boo
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks guys (and one woman, though maybe more). Printing the contract never crossed my mind.

mccleark

Registered
Reaction score
Got closure w/ the WH's agent, finally. The agent was Steven Malk. I queried him late Nov. 2010. He offered to work with me on revision early Dec. 2010 after reading the full ms. In late January he called me and told me to rewrite my entire book. It was a great phone conversation- about 45 minutes- and he said wonderful things about my writing, but that I should be working in MG and not YA. Of course, I hung up the phone and cried- "Really? I don't get a critique letter, just a phone call that basically said 'you're really talented, and I think you should start over.'"

I shook it off and got back to work. I rewrote my entire book. Sent it back to him in June. We exchanged a few polite emails between Feb and June about books and personal stuff.

Then he sort of went missing. He's a mega agent. Very big- so I kept trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. He's busy being a rock star. I wanted him to be my rock star.

I sent a polite nudge mid Sept. Ty (his asst). emailed back with an encouraging note that they were reviewing the ms. and I'd hear soon. Six weeks later- nothing. I gently nudged, again, in mid November. Ty said he'd be sending me his thoughts on the ms. at the end of the week. Two more weeks went by. Nothing.

So, I queried some agents on 11/29 because Steve had my ms. for over five months and was being silent. Needless to say I was a bit irritated and restless. I wondered if I had ruined my book. But then, I received requests for the full ms from two different agents the same day I had queried them. I promptly wrote to Steve and Ty that their "exclusive" was over. No response.

Yesterday (12/5) I pulled my manuscript officially from Writer's House... and guess who finally decides to be vocal? Steven.

To his credit, he apologized profusely in the email, praised my writing, and blamed his silence on being the busiest he's ever been. Then within twelve hours he sent me a generalized editorial critique, and apologized again. It was professional and gave me the closure I needed. He said I was a wonderful writer who should be writing in the MG market and wished me luck in the future. I wrote back and said I'd use his revision- w/ a different agent- and best to him, too. We parted cordially.

And that's my Steven Malk story. He's a great agent, but very busy. If you want him, be prepared to have lots of patience. It was nice that he apologized several times in both of his emails to me and took responsibility for the situation. It was also nice that he sent me his thoughts on my manuscript AFTER I withdrew it from his hands.

The biggest issue for me wasn't really about patience, but was that I had already given up an agent to work on revision w/ him, and an opportunity to publish with a small press. I took a chance on non-representation and after a year it didn't work out. I know Steve's process worked for other writers (Michelle Zink, Lena Coakley, etc). He is a good agent and a pleasure to interact with, but my story is one that isn't echoed in the many google pages about him.

I'll say it again, Onward! There are many agent-fishies in the sea.

sknipper

Registered
Reaction score
Website
@mccleark,

I'm so glad that you finally have closure. You have a great attitude about the whole thing. You're right, there are plenty of agents out there, and with the work you've put in on your manuscript, I'll bet one snatches you up soon.

Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress!

miamyselfandi

here and there again
Registered
Reaction score
Got closure w/ the WH's agent, finally. The agent was Steven Malk. I queried him late Nov. 2010. He offered to work with me on revision early Dec. 2010 after reading the full ms. In late January he called me and told me to rewrite my entire book. It was a great phone conversation- about 45 minutes- and he said wonderful things about my writing, but that I should be working in MG and not YA. Of course, I hung up the phone and cried- "Really? I don't get a critique letter, just a phone call that basically said 'you're really talented, and I think you should start over.'"

I shook it off and got back to work. I rewrote my entire book. Sent it back to him in June. We exchanged a few polite emails between Feb and June about books and personal stuff.

Then he sort of went missing. He's a mega agent. Very big- so I kept trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. He's busy being a rock star. I wanted him to be my rock star.

I sent a polite nudge mid Sept. Ty (his asst). emailed back with an encouraging note that they were reviewing the ms. and I'd hear soon. Six weeks later- nothing. I gently nudged, again, in mid November. Ty said he'd be sending me his thoughts on the ms. at the end of the week. Two more weeks went by. Nothing.

So, I queried some agents on 11/29 because Steve had my ms. for over five months and was being silent. Needless to say I was a bit irritated and restless. I wondered if I had ruined my book. But then, I received requests for the full ms from two different agents the same day I had queried them. I promptly wrote to Steve and Ty that their "exclusive" was over. No response.

Yesterday (12/5) I pulled my manuscript officially from Writer's House... and guess who finally decides to be vocal? Steven.

To his credit, he apologized profusely in the email, praised my writing, and blamed his silence on being the busiest he's ever been. Then within twelve hours he sent me a generalized editorial critique, and apologized again. It was professional and gave me the closure I needed. He said I was a wonderful writer who should be writing in the MG market and wished me luck in the future. I wrote back and said I'd use his revision- w/ a different agent- and best to him, too. We parted cordially.

And that's my Steven Malk story. He's a great agent, but very busy. If you want him, be prepared to have lots of patience. It was nice that he apologized several times in both of his emails to me and took responsibility for the situation. It was also nice that he sent me his thoughts on my manuscript AFTER I withdrew it from his hands.

The biggest issue for me wasn't really about patience, but was that I had already given up an agent to work on revision w/ him, and an opportunity to publish with a small press. I took a chance on non-representation and after a year it didn't work out. I know Steve's process worked for other writers (Michelle Zink, Lena Coakley, etc). He is a good agent and a pleasure to interact with, but my story is one that isn't echoed in the many google pages about him.

I'll say it again, Onward! There are many agent-fishies in the sea.

It sounds like you ended things in a way that was gracious, and so did Steven. That's excellent.

In the future you might need to consider that there is no reason to close those doors. Did he ask for an exclusive? If so, next time put a time limit on it. If he didn't, don't give one. But beyond that, YOU can write someone off mentally and move on, and query others, without actually pulling the submission. There's really no need to pull it until you choose another agent. Because you never know when someone will pop up out of the blue having finally gotten to your work, and make an offer. And just because someone was slow signing you doesn't mean they treat their clients that way. It's often because they are giving their actual clients first priority.

Just some things to think about.

Good luck with your new submissions!

mccleark

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind thoughts, everyone! After being on submission for ten days, I've been snatched up for representation by Amy Tipton at Signature Literary Agency. Whoo hoo!