• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Renee Collins

Plotting . . .
Registered
Reaction score
Website
midnightmeditations.blogspot.com
If they requested a partial, you can email and ask which they prefer.

Well, in the partial request they said they'd accept either. I was just wondering if they anyone knew if they had a preference between the two. I know some agents add the email option, but they still prefer snail mail, and vise versa.

Not a big deal. Just curious.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Well, in the partial request they said they'd accept either. I was just wondering if they anyone knew if they had a preference between the two. I know some agents add the email option, but they still prefer snail mail, and vise versa.

Not a big deal. Just curious.

I don't think it will make much difference. I would say if I had to say they leaned one way, it would be hard copy, simply because they just opened e-mail submissions recently. But really, e-mail is faster and cheaper.

Sarah Pagan

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what Stephen Barr's, assistant to Dan Lazar, response time is?

He's had my full since September. I know he was on Publisher's Marketplace for recent deals, so it could be he's really busy right now with regular clients, but I haven't read anyone else waiting this long to hear from them.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know what Stephen Barr's, assistant to Dan Lazar, response time is?

He's had my full since September. I know he was on Publisher's Marketplace for recent deals, so it could be he's really busy right now with regular clients, but I haven't read anyone else waiting this long to hear from them.

I don't know an exact estimate, but I do know that while they fluctuate, they tend to take a little while. I'd give it another month or so.

cubofaslan

Registered
Reaction score
Jodi question

Posting for a friend -

A friend of mine connected with a Writers' House agent early in her writing process, and the agent asked her to submit when she was finished with her manuscript. My friend is really sweet and agreed, but after doing research on all the agents, realized Jodi Reamer was a much better fit (Jodi's looking for stuff like her manuscript, and the other agent doesn't even take one of the genres she's written in).

I told her she should go with the agent she feels best about, because if the other agent doesn't do as well for her, she might always wonder whether Jodi would've been a better fit. Plus it's JODI REAMER!!! But is there an etiquette question involved here?

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Uh, yeah, I think it would cause problems to agree to send to one agent and then send to another at the same agency at the same time.

Things to consider: agents with big-name clients may get people starry-eyed, but they also may have less time for newer clients, whereas someone else might just be a better client *for you.* Also, if your book is too close to something an agent already reps, they may not want to take you on because the two works would be competing with each other. Another agent may want to add that genre to what they rep.

The thing is, with Writers House, it's not either-or. If one agent turns you down, you can query the next one there. (Don't query them both at the same time, though. That WOULD be an etiquette issue.) So relax and think about YOUR work, and not necessarily what an agent has done for someone else.

Last edited:

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Actually, for Writers House, it's fine. The agents work independently and I've heard my agent say that most of the agents don't mind getting separate submissions. It's probably a case by case thing (meaning check to see if they have personal preferences), but I think it would be fine for this one agency. :)

Burning Angel

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone...
I'm about to send my query out to Robin Rue, but have a question about it. I have my actual query letter ready, my SASE ready, but some sites say that she wants 5 sample pages, while others say a 1-2 page synopsis. Which should I send? Thanks in advance :)

rosepddle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karendenise72.blogspot.com
Hi everyone...
I'm about to send my query out to Robin Rue, but have a question about it. I have my actual query letter ready, my SASE ready, but some sites say that she wants 5 sample pages, while others say a 1-2 page synopsis. Which should I send? Thanks in advance :)

I submitted to Robin Rue and from what I saw on Holly Lisle's site--who is agented by Ms Rue--she said that a query and a brief synopsis would be fine. That all I sent. I ended up getting a request for a partial and then a full from her assistant Beth Miller. It was ultimately a no, but I was still jazzed to get that far. Hope that helps.

Burning Angel

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to Robin Rue and from what I saw on Holly Lisle's site--who is agented by Ms Rue--she said that a query and a brief synopsis would be fine. That all I sent. I ended up getting a request for a partial and then a full from her assistant Beth Miller. It was ultimately a no, but I was still jazzed to get that far. Hope that helps.
Amazingly helpful. Thank you so much :)

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
Daniel Lazar is currently reading my full. Well, I don't know if he is actually reading it, but he requested it last night. He's my absolute dream agent, so I have my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for this one. Does anyone know how long he usually takes with fulls? Thanks!

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
Daniel Lazar is currently reading my full. Well, I don't know if he is actually reading it, but he requested it last night. He's my absolute dream agent, so I have my fingers, toes, and eyes crossed for this one. Does anyone know how long he usually takes with fulls? Thanks!

With mine it took about a week. It was ultimately an R but both he and Steve gave me some great feedback. And I would give my eyeteeth to submit to them again.

MsGneiss

Registered
Reaction score
With mine it took about a week. It was ultimately an R but both he and Steve gave me some great feedback. And I would give my eyeteeth to submit to them again.

Thanks! That's definitely encouraging. A week is so reasonable for such a busy agent!

Brandy

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Merrilee is still accepting e-queries? And if so can you share the address. Thanks!

katrina_wooooo

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Merrilee is still accepting e-queries? And if so can you share the address. Thanks!

All the agent databases I've found say she's snail-mail only, and I haven't found anything to indicate otherwise. I'm interested in knowing this, though, because an e-query would be so much easier!

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think she does. As Katrina said, everything points to know.

Corinne Duyvis

My New Cat Is Too Big for Shoulders
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.corinneduyvis.com
Some place listed that she did... but I can't remember where I read it.

Anyway, based on that info, I sent an equery to Merrilee's assistant in February and heard back less than a week later. The address was
[email protected]; however, keep in mind that this was so long ago that her query policy might've changed since.

Rowan

Registered
Reaction score

Hey, there! Cathy C is repped by Merrilee and I believe she posted her assistants e-mail addy info a few pages back. :)

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Ms. Reamer 11/12
Rejection received 12/16

YA science fiction

Knew this one was a long shot, so my expectations were suitably low :) It is nice that such a popular agent takes the time to respond to everyone (albeit through her assistant). I'd definitely query her again.

Windsong

Registered
Reaction score
Queried Mr. Malk and received a same day request for a partial. Received a request for a full about a month later.

*crosses fingers*

bunderful

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Dan Lazar and was responded to with a rejection by Stephen Barr - with 24 hours of querying. At least it was fast and painless. Now I tried Jodi Reamer but I really don't expect her to respond. We'll see....

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Dan Lazar and was responded to with a rejection by Stephen Barr - with 24 hours of querying. At least it was fast and painless. Now I tried Jodi Reamer but I really don't expect her to respond. We'll see....

Hi, again, bunderful :) Ms. Reamer responds to all queries (though usually through her assistant), so you should get a response. It takes a while, though. (I queried in mid-November of last year and got a polite no in mid-December.)