• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
That seems sort of odd to me, Aruna, based on my own dealings with WH. Usually, it's MY agent who contacts me with this sort of offer and the details are worked out in the WH office. Still, if your agent says it's okay to deal directly, then by all means do so and CONGRATS! :)

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Aaah, Cathy, that's me not explaining fully! It was a misunderstanding,
there was some confusion in (her) writers list, and (she is) already in contact with all people concerned
Thanks to all for their good wishes, my breath is bated and my ears all agog- plus, coming soon (after six weeks or more of revision work!) it's at last going to be shopped in the US... fingernail biting time.

Last edited:

Matthew Warner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewwarner.com
Natalie Siregar at Writers House has asked to see my complete horror novel manuscript, which I've mailed off. Does anyone have any experience with her?

Naturally, I'm excited by this development. This came after responding well to my one-page query and then responding well to my first three chapters--all within a month's time.

Thanks!

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
iSAM said:
Any agency's website that features:

1) An "elder statesman"-looking founder
2) A nice wood conference table, and
3) An attractive building

is legit. But then, I'm a rookie, so I'm easily impressed by nice conference tables.

:) Yes, that's what made me decide for them too! Nice, eh?
Ah. we authors are so easily seduced by appearances!

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
Matthew Warner said:
Natalie Siregar at Writers House has asked to see my complete horror novel manuscript, which I've mailed off. Does anyone have any experience with her?

Naturally, I'm excited by this development. This came after responding well to my one-page query and then responding well to my first three chapters--all within a month's time.

Thanks!

I've never heard of her and she isn't on their list of agents.
Google brought up this:
Natalie Siregar is a New York City writer with a passion for education, children's literature, and collage art.

How did you hear of her? Did you query another agent there and she replied? In that case she may be an agent's assistant about to go solo. That's a good thing; if she's building her list she'll be actively looking for new authors and will have more room for more of them, and more time to devote to them. At the same time you get the clout of the big agency behind her and the experience and contacts of the older agents. Good luck!

Last edited:

Matthew Warner

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.matthewwarner.com
aruna said:
I've never heard of her and she isn't on their list of agents.
Google brought up this:

How did you hear of her? Did you query another agent there and she replied? In that case she may be an agent's assistant about to go solo. That's a good thing; if she's building her list she'll be actively looking for new authors and will have more room for more of them, and more time to devote to them. At the same time you get the clout of the big agency behind her and the experience and contacts of the older agents. Good luck!

I followed Writers House's submission GLs and didn't query anyone in particular, and she responded. I came to the same conclusions based on some Googling; if I could get in with a junior agent at a prestigious agency who's looking to build up her stable, then that wouldn't be too shabby at all! I'll let you all know how it turns out.

lostlore

Registered
Reaction score
jkorzenko said:
Actually, I believe their website is quite clear. It states:

<i> Please do not query two agents within our agency simultaneously. </i>

That, to me, says that if one agent rejects you then you can query someone else BUT don't ever query two agents at the same time.

J.
I queried Simon Lipskar there because he seemed most aligned with what I'm trying to do & I thought he'd be interested. The same query has gotten requests for partials elsewhere but with Writers House it got me a form letter within a week from Simon's assistant, unsigned -- and from the wording it implied that I shouldn't query Writers House as an agency again.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm...interesting. What was the phrasing? I've queried two agents at Writers House on the same project and received nice professional rejections. Neither mentioned anything about the agency as a whole.

J.

lostlore

Registered
Reaction score
jkorzenko said:
Hmmm...interesting. What was the phrasing? I've queried two agents at Writers House on the same project and received nice professional rejections. Neither mentioned anything about the agency as a whole.

J.
It was undated, unsigned & sent on WH letterhead -- basically a quick form reject. In toto:

Dear Author,

Thanks for your query to Simon Lipskar at Writers House. Despite its obvious merit, however, your project does not seem like one we could successfully represent. Keep in mind that our clien list is quiet full, and we can only afford to offer representation to projects we are wildly passionate about.

Thanks for trying Writers House, and best of luck in your search for representation.

Sincerely,
Nikki Furrer
Assistant to Simon Lipskar

Dunno if I'm reading it wrong but it pretty clearly says "keep away from WH" to me ... but the phrase "wildly passionate" is most definitely not for me anyway so I figure it's good for both of us.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
lostlore said:
It was undated, unsigned & sent on WH letterhead -- basically a quick form reject. In toto:

Dear Author,

Thanks for your query to Simon Lipskar at Writers House. Despite its obvious merit, however, your project does not seem like one we could successfully represent. Keep in mind that our clien list is quiet full, and we can only afford to offer representation to projects we are wildly passionate about.

Thanks for trying Writers House, and best of luck in your search for representation.

Sincerely,
Nikki Furrer
Assistant to Simon Lipskar

Dunno if I'm reading it wrong but it pretty clearly says "keep away from WH" to me ... but the phrase "wildly passionate" is most definitely not for me anyway so I figure it's good for both of us.
I wouldn't take it personally. I got exactly the same form rejection. I don't see anything that precludes sending something else to them or even resending it to a different agent at Writer's House. Writer's House is one of those agencies who don't mind if you submit to several agents there as long as you don't submit simultaneously. However, it might be better to try other agencies first.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
That's a standard form rejection. I agree with Roger. If there's another agent w/in Writers House that you want to try, go right ahead. "wildly passionate" is a catch-all phrase used by many agencies in their rejects. And, imho, you DO want an agent who is WILDLY PASSIONATE...in the book sense, I mean. :)

J.

Noddy Rider

Registered
Reaction score
Dan Lazar at Writers House

Hi all, total newbie here.

I e-queried Dan Lazar at Writers House for a nonfiction book and got a rejection ("thanks, but not right for me") the same day. A few minutes later, he emailed back and said he had reconsidered and wanted to see the proposal. Got the rejection back the same day.

This biz is quite the roller coaster! The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat ...

Noddy

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
jkorzenko said:
That's a standard form rejection. I agree with Roger. If there's another agent w/in Writers House that you want to try, go right ahead. "wildly passionate" is a catch-all phrase used by many agencies in their rejects. And, imho, you DO want an agent who is WILDLY PASSIONATE...in the book sense, I mean. :)

J.

I agree with the above. It's a standard rejection and coesn't mean you should keep away from WH, or even from other agents with this very project Good Luck!

Provrb1810meggy

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, sorry. I have to correct you. It's Dan Lazar. Okay, I'm done now.

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query to Daniel Lazar today. Within only a few hours I got an e-mail back from him. Unfortunately, he rejected my manuscript. :( I'm sad about it, but hey, can't take it personally, right?

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query to Daniel Lazar today. Within only a few hours I got an e-mail back from him. Unfortunately, he rejected my manuscript. :( I'm sad about it, but hey, can't take it personally, right?

Ditto Moon Daughter's experience. I find the speed of his response impressive. He's on top of things. I sent him my Query at 3:13, got a rejection back at 5:41, saying "Thanks, but I'm afraid this isn't right for me."

Mark A

Registered
Reaction score
Ginger Clark

Hey, folks, I don't see Ginger Clark's name listed on Writers House's web site where they list senior agents and junior agents.
Does anyone know what gives? Perhaps she's out on her own?

Rolling Thunder

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Curtis Brown. I have a query out to her there right now.