• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Kate:
How serendipitous! Thank you. I did ask a non-specific question regarding if he knew right away if something was right for him. But, now thinking about it, I suppose the answer wouldn't make much difference. Too many variables. If he liked a sub or hated it, he still might not have time to reply. LOL.

EagerReader

Registered
Reaction score
Just to update, I received a wonderful rejection from said agent today from his assistant. It was very specific as to what their concerns were and I was encouraged to revise and they would be open to reading it again. Yay!

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
I got a full request from Steven Malk's asst in 30min. They seem to request a lot of fulls (and reject them...eek!) but I'm going to remain cautiously hopeful :3 .

EagerReader

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks hester. Now the real work begins! (ok, so it's all terribly real)

Roly, good luck, they are so encouraging it just makes me want to cry. There's nothing better than a helpful word back in this business of self-doubt and rejection.

Roly

silly puppy monster
Registered
Reaction score
Actually I have two questions about Steve. One: I couldn't give him an exclusive because my full is out with others right now. When that happens, does he take a lot longer than the two weeks?

Also, it seems he doesn't have a specific type of fantasy he likes, but what fantasy books does he rep? I'm trying to find a list somewhere but none are complete lol

ejwriter

lurk & learn
Registered
Reaction score
Actually I have two questions about Steve. One: I couldn't give him an exclusive because my full is out with others right now. When that happens, does he take a lot longer than the two weeks?

I had to deny exclusivity for the same reason, and he still read it hyper-fast. I'd have to check my notes, but I think his assistant read it in two days, and he called to say he was halfway through it four days after I sent it. I've read comments by others who say even with the exclusive, they didn't hear back for a month or so. So, my guess is - having the other fulls out may actually move you up in the pile.

That's just one experience, however, so perhaps I completely lucked out and caught him on a slow week.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Steve, I believe, doesn't do partials, so if he reads a query and likes the idea he'll just request a full. He and Alena (his assistant) both read everything and discuss it before doing anything. He's my agent, so I've gone through a few full drafts recently, and it can very from 2-4 weeks, usually never more than a month though--I think he's been pretty busy lately, though.

As far as your fantasy question goes, he answered that exact question today in a blog post on http://caseylmccormick.blogspot.com/

Good luck!

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck with Steven, everyone! I can't praise him enough. I wish my WIP was finished right this second so I could try him again.

joeyc

Registered
Reaction score
So, I think I'm going to send a query out to one of them.

However, from the website, it looks likes they only want paper submissions. A little bit of research for a few agents say that they have email accounts for email queries.

Which one is "correct"?

EDIT: One more question:

I can't tell if they're mainly YA or MG. If they are, I'm not going to bother. Interviews and stuff I've seen about a few of them say otherwise, but AgentQuery pages say otherwise. Just some guidance would be nice.

Last edited:

EagerReader

Registered
Reaction score
As mentioned, the blog by casey mccormick is very informative. Has lots of interviews that are very helpful. I use it all the time.

NNSakusha

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ninanakayama.blogspot.com
svart1ngr:

I agree with Eager Reader and Ryan Sullivan. That blog is great. Also, never underestimate google. *grin* Some authors and blogs get some great agent interviews that are really useful in figuring out what exactly they want.

I always do a ton of research before querying and I make sure to check when the site was updated so as to query with the most accurate info. I also just do a google search for interviews in the last XXX time range. That helps. When I get three conflicting things, I just try to be cautious and just make sure NOT to bug them (i.e. if they seem pretty adamant about not wanting a partial on at least one site, I just send a query).

>>> "However, from the website, it looks likes they only want paper submissions. A
>>> little bit of research for a few agents say that they have email accounts for
>>> email queries. Which one is "correct"?"

Writers House is tough because not every single agent has their own pages on the writershouse site, but, agent query and query tracker tend to be pretty up to date. Yes, some do say you can query by email. From what my beta readers and I have found, if you do email, you'll usually get a response back from their assistant (who is the gatekeeper and from what we've found, usually really on it). Also, I've found that if you search really hard in absolutewrite, you can find a lot of things that don't exist anywhere else (i.e. certain agents' assistant's email address...one for example only accepts paper submissions but per a post here, you can equery the assistant).

>>> I can't tell if they're mainly YA or MG. If they are, I'm not going to bother.
>>> Interviews and stuff I've seen about a few of them say otherwise, but
>>> AgentQuery pages say otherwise. Just some guidance would be nice.

I've found that it helps to read the interviews and/or check the books they've sold. Some list as YA/MG but totally love MG more (and represent MG a lot more). That, I think helped me a lot because YA and MG are so different. If they don't have their specific books listed, you can do a google search for the agent's name + author and usually you can see what books they repped. If that doesn't get you any hits, you can go to googlebooks and do a search for the agent's name. A lot of times, authors thank their agent in their acknowledgment page and thus it'll show up. This way, you can check out the titles -- if the content, writing, etc. seems wildly different from yours, that might give you an indication. BUT, that said, I've seen agents be interested in really different things. If they say they're looking for it, I say, go for it! (=

Good luck!

NNSakusha

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ninanakayama.blogspot.com
Oh yes, and I forgot to mention that I know from experience that the assistants there are great! I equeried and got a request for a partial and synopsis about 3 1/2 weeks later via a really nice email. Wish me luck! (=

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes, and I forgot to mention that I know from experience that the assistants there are great! I equeried and got a request for a partial and synopsis about 3 1/2 weeks later via a really nice email. Wish me luck! (=

Agreed! Steve's assistant Alena has been great to work with. Assistants always get a bad wrap.

EagerReader

Registered
Reaction score

I agree, the assistant I dealt with was peachy. And here's wishing you luck, NNSakusha!

*crosses fingers*
*spins three times*
*does cartwheel*
*sprinkles glitter*

That ought to do it.

AuntB

Registered
Reaction score
I'm gonna jump on the Assistant-Love Bandwagon, and say that Jennifer Escott (Merrilee Heifetz's assistant) is really lovely also!