• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Well, for my 3/29 e-query to Jodi Reamer, I got a form R from Alec Shane today, 4/16.

I have gotten absolutely zero luck since the full request from Steve Malk. Was he an anomaly or something?

Beckstah

Zen-ish
Registered
Reaction score
Roly, that's my next stop. I've gotten it critiqued several times already by some agented and published friends, but since I've only gotten one request, apparently that wasn't enough.

I think I just need to make my query so mindblowingly amazing that the agent forgets that it's a YA urban fantasy by an unpublished writer without romance or magical boyfriends of any sort.

Last edited:

litgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Beckstah--are you me? <g> I've had the same thing--query vetted by published friends, query goes largely unnoticed by agents, story an UF (but NOT My Supernatural Sweetie). If you figure out the solution, let me know--and good luck!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
So if you e-query Jodi Reamer through her assistant, do you address it to him or her?

Crzywritergrl

The Devil is a selfish twit
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Alec Shane ( the assistant) with Jodi Reamer in parentheses. He seems to be taking all of her queries because all of my correspondence has been with the assistant. Rejections and request seem to be from him with regards from Jodi as well.

If you get the assistant, you get the agent and vise versa. However the assistant is not a full blown agent so I would address Ms. Reamer just to be on the safe side.

isabelD

Registered
Reaction score
Manuscript format for Writers House (Jodi Reamer)

Hi there, I'm new to AW so I may be posting in the wrong thread, but...

This week I submitted my query letter and 1st chapter of my manuscript to Jodi Reamer at Writers House, per the instructions on their website. It was only today that I read about another agent (not at Writers House) who hates receiving single-spaced manuscripts. Naturally, I became a little concerned that I sent Jodi a single-spaced manuscript.

Is double spaced the standard for ALL agents? I'd especially love to hear from anyone who got a request for a partial or full from Jodi.

Thanks!

pegasus358

Registered
Reaction score
Isabel,
Double-spaced is generally the standard for all agents and editors. However, no one is likely to reject you out of hand because your manuscript submission is single-spaced.

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Email Query to Merrilee's assistant, Jennifer on 5/2/10

Rejection received from Jennifer on behalf of Merrilee: 5/10/10

MG Fantasy

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the newbies!

isabelD - if the writing is fantastic, the agent isn't going to care whether it's single, double or triple spaced. However, you should probably take a few moments to scour this site and the web to learn a little about the standards that way you will present yourself as a professional. Standards are pretty much double spaced, TNR12 (some prefer Courier New 12), one inch margins all the way around and a header with your name, book title and page number. Also, don't forget to include all of your contact information in your query. And, of course, follow any specific information found on the particular agent's website.

Best of luck to you and congratulations on starting your submission process.

Julie

TeacherLady

Registered
Reaction score
I sent an e-query to Dan Lazar and got an immediate request for a full (as attachment). I hit reply and attached the full - was this wrong? Should I have changed the subject line? Also, while I had all my contact info in the email and the title/last name/ page number thing going on, I didn't have a title page. Did I totally screw up? I'm very new to this querying thing, obviously.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I don't use a title page at all on my fulls. I suppose it might be an issue, but when it's electronic, I personally think it's easier to not include it. I do, of course, include the title on the first page. Really, no one's going to reject you for some minor formatting differences. Also, unless I'm told differently in the body, I always respond to the same email to send.

You should be fine. Good luck, and way to go on the request. :)

TeacherLady

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! Okay, so I just read where someone else got a message when he received their ms - should I worry that mine didn't go through if I didn't get a received message?

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I can't answer that one for sure, but I'd say be worried if you get a message saying it didn't work. He might write you and let you know he received it, though I've sent requested material before and not received one. Not for this particular person, though.

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score
I sent an e-query to Dan Lazar and got an immediate request for a full (as attachment). I hit reply and attached the full - was this wrong? Should I have changed the subject line? Also, while I had all my contact info in the email and the title/last name/ page number thing going on, I didn't have a title page. Did I totally screw up? I'm very new to this querying thing, obviously.

I am so jealous!! Congratulations!!!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

ALWAYS keep the query chain going (you can change the subject line to "requested materials" if you want, though). Replying to an agent's email, rather than sending a clean one is the quickest way to establish that - yes, they asked for something and you sent it.

More than one agent has tweeted/blogged about "phony" requested MS being sent by people who didn't think anyone would notice. They just start off a fresh email with "Here's that full MS you wanted...", attach it, and think they're cleverly cutting to the head of the line.

You did good. And good luck on the full.

Crzywritergrl

The Devil is a selfish twit
Registered
Reaction score
You did just fine TeacherLady! I always make sure I replied with the body of the agent's e-mail in my response. I may write a quick line or two thanking them for their interest and then attach the requested ms. It reminds the agent who you are and I have had 100% response where they confirmed that they got my ms and were looking forward to reading it.

A little politeness, honesty and a compliment go a long long way.

EagerReader

commaholic and adverb junkie
Registered
Reaction score
It's only been three weeks since a request for a full from Steven Malk's assistant, but since I see that he is usually so quick to respond, at what point should I nudge? Or should I not?

I'm anticipating an R, so I just want closure at this point. This one will almost complete my collection. ;)