• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I sent my Query, synopsis, and First chapter to Jodi Reamer on June 10, 2009. On the website it says it takes between 6-8 weeks for a response. Should I wait longer before requesting a status on it? I know she's probably slammed but I'm getting worried. Oh and does she send responses. I sent a SASE but I know some agents won't respond if they don't like it.

Raspberry

Germlish Speaker
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any dealings with Maya Rock. I queried her back in June and never heard anything back from her. I just wondered if she usually sends rejections or doesn't respond to those she's not interested in.

I queried her last year and she sent a rejection after a couple of weeks.

Saltier

Small towns fuel escapism
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I sent my Query, synopsis, and First chapter to Jodi Reamer on June 10, 2009. On the website it says it takes between 6-8 weeks for a response. Should I wait longer before requesting a status on it? I know she's probably slammed but I'm getting worried. Oh and does she send responses. I sent a SASE but I know some agents won't respond if they don't like it.

She does respond...but it takes a long time. It took me about 12 weeks to get a request for a partial off of my query.

Mel A.

settling in with my red pen . . .
Registered
Reaction score
I sent mine sometime last November via snail mail with the SASE. Still haven't heard anything. I think it varies. Sometimes, even with the SASE, there is no response if the agent isn't interested.

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
UGH!!! I hope I don't have to wait that long. Waiting is awful. But then if they like it, i guess i should give them all the time they need. :)

SaRawri5

Registered
Reaction score
hey, newbie here!! greetings :)
i was just wondering if anyone is familiar with michael mejias. theres not that much info on him as an agent (i.e. email address) and i recently sent a partial to his assistant, sara cameron. how long does it take for him to respond? sorry for the bombardment heehee

SaRawri5

Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the interview and book btw :)
and yea, this wait is killing me. i feel like because the response is taking so long, it's probably not going to be a happy one. idk, maybe its all in my head

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Okay well I got my rejection letter today. It was a form letter but it was sort of personalized. :( Well, I'll just keep moving forward. Nothing better to do.

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but at least it was professional. I got another rejection from a different agent the same day. All he did was take my query letter. Handwrite. "THanks but no thanks." Circle it half a dozen times then send it back. Way not cool. I guess I should be glad he didn't want it. Wouldn't want him to represent me after that little show.

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
Ahh, okay. Well I requeried WH. Thought I'd go with a junior agent this time. Maya Rock? Does anyone know anything about her. Her blog says she'll respond in 2-3 weeks maybe less. Does anyone know if that's true? I've made MAJOR revisions on everything so I'm hoping this one will stick.

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Maya on March 30th and received an R on April 6th - so took about a week. Rejection read as follows:

Thanks for your query, but I'm sorry to say I'm not the right agent for your book. I wish you the best of luck in your search for representation.

Sincerely,

Maya Rock

I included a query letter and first couple of pages as a sample. Would have been nice to get some feedback on WHY Maya felt she wasn't the right agent or what she felt was lacking or wrong or whatever. But still, appreciated the speed of response!

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
........I included a query letter and first couple of pages as a sample. Would have been nice to get some feedback on WHY Maya felt she wasn't the right agent or what she felt was lacking or wrong or whatever. But still, appreciated the speed of response!

You will find that very few agents bother to give you any pointers, guidance or feedback. It's unfortunately just the way it is. It's very rare if you do get anything other than a standard form rejection, no matter how nicely it's worded or not.

SaRawri5

Registered
Reaction score
got back a rejection for my partial :(...but the assistant was nice enough to write tons of notes along the sides of the manuscript. thinking about just re-editing and then sending it again to a different agent soon. is maya rock accepting equeries?

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone heard back from their partials from Josh G? I'm in the same boat as the others were back in at least May. Josh requested my partial in March. It was a really nice email and said "6 weeks (hopefully)" and it's now been 5 months. I've nudged him a few times in the past. I don't know at what point I should take it as an R and query someone else at WH. It's so disappointing because he seemed so awesome!

jsouders

Registered
Reaction score
got back a rejection for my partial :(...but the assistant was nice enough to write tons of notes along the sides of the manuscript. thinking about just re-editing and then sending it again to a different agent soon. is maya rock accepting equeries?

Yes she does, go to the website and click on her. It'll give her email addy. She only wants the query and First page of the manuscript though in the body of the email. I sent mine out a week or so ago, and am still waiting. Not that a week is a long time or anything, just thought you should know. :)

ChrryBlssmGrrl

Paranormal Princess
Registered
Reaction score
It's been 5 months since I first queried Maya and was rejected within the week. I've done a lot of rewriting of both my MS and my query letter (lol) and I've had a couple of agents request partials since then.

I was thinking of querying Daniel Lazar at Writer's House now - I know the general rule of thumb is that a rejection by one agent is essentially a rejection by the whole agency but given the length of time that has passed, the amount of changes, revisions and rewriting that has been done since then and the fact that Writer's House is a relatively big agency I thought it might be worth a shot!

What do you guys think? Just give up or give Daniel a go? Anyone got recent experience of querying him? Thanks!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Not for Writers House, or, if memory serves, Maass.
Maass is a no means no for all.

But, be aware, that Lindsay Davis is an agent at WH but also seems to be Stephen Malk's assistant, so if you query her, then query him, she'll be the one answering. (I had an awkward situation from that)

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
Maass is a no means no for all.

Are you sure? I've queried there twice with the same book, and received a positive response from the second agent.

I think they don't allow multiple queries, as in, don't query more than one agent at a time.

Of course, this was a while ago, so they may very well have changed on that point.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
If you are uncertain which agent at DMLA to query, address your e-mail or letter to Donald Maass (at the [email protected] address). Your e-mail or letter will serve to query all agents at DMLA.

If there is a specific agent at DMLA whom you would like to represent you, then of course query that agent specifically, but please do not send multiple queries.
It sounds like just one query for the whole agency to me.