• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

righthere

Registered
Reaction score
I had a question. I will be submitting to Jodi Reamer. My question is ... how do I address the outside envelope?

The letter will of course be addressed to Jodi. But when checking the Writers House website it says that submissions should be mailed to:

Submissions
Writers House
Address

So, on the outside envelope should I include Jodi's name followed by the address? Or Jodi's name followed by submissions and then the address? Or should the outside just be addressed "submissions" and then Jodi's name just on the enclosed query letter?

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I had a question. I will be submitting to Jodi Reamer. My question is ... how do I address the outside envelope?

The letter will of course be addressed to Jodi. But when checking the Writers House website it says that submissions should be mailed to:

Submissions
Writers House
Address

So, on the outside envelope should I include Jodi's name followed by the address? Or Jodi's name followed by submissions and then the address? Or should the outside just be addressed "submissions" and then Jodi's name just on the enclosed query letter?

I mailed mine directly to Jodi Reamer, followed by Writers House and their address. I skipped the submissions part and she received it just fine.

And no, you can not email her directly. Someone else on this thread tried that and was politely told not to do that. Even those with requests are asked to email them to her assistant (the name and email address are provided in your letter of request). If she wanted you to email her, that would be included on her Publishers Market page. It is not. It only states to send the query and first chapter to her via snail mail.

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
I mailed mine directly to Jodi Reamer, followed by Writers House and their address. I skipped the submissions part and she received it just fine.

This is correct. I did the same; her assistant contacted me via e-mail for partial, then full requests (still out, eep).

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
I have a question that's kind of unique to Writers House, because they allow you to query other WH agents once one has passed. Maybe one of you has some advice.

The short version: If a WH agent has a full of one book, can I send the full of a different book to a second WH agent?

The detailed backstory:
  • I queried book1 to JR, but withdrew my query from consideration a few months later so I could query other Writers House agents.
  • Next, I queried book1 to SM, who referred me to LD, who requested a full.
  • Meanwhile, JR's assistant asked for a partial of book1 (missed the withdrawal memo, lucky me). I held off until LD passed, then sent it.
  • Because LD said she'd like to see future work, I told her about book2 (an exhaustively revised version of one she'd requested as an assistant to SM, two years ago), and she asked to see the full when it's finished.
  • A month later, JR's assistant asked for the full of book1. Still out.
  • SO: book2 is a few weeks from being query-ready. Assuming I don't get a pass or a call from JR in that time period, can I send book2 to LD, even though book1 is still with JR?
whew

Lovebug

Registered
Reaction score
I would wait until JR got back with me. What if JR loves book 1 and wants to represent you? Meanwhile, you've queried LD and then LD requests a partial for book 2. You query LD and say I have received an offer of representation. LD asks who? You say your fellow agent mate JR. That wouldn't be a situation that I would want to be in, especially since I would LOVE to be represented by that house. I know waiting is hard. I'm in a similar situation. I have a full out to one of the WH agents as well that came off a partial read. I'm nervously waiting, and trying hard to be patient. It's been almost two months for me. Try to be patient. You never know what good will come from it! :)

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Lovebug, and congrats on the full!

ETA: LD has already requested book2, when it's ready -- I told her about it. (she'd read an older version as SM's assistant.)

Maybe I should try the full disclosure tactic: contact LD when Book2 is ready, and explain about JR, since we already have a dialogue going. AND/OR: contact JR's assistant in a status query, and and explain about LD's request for Book2.

thoughts?

Last edited:

redlady1

Registered
Reaction score
Wandergirl,

I know it sucks, but I would hold out and wait. It might look unprofessional if you try and do that, which might - in turn - come back to reflect on their decision to represent you or not. I, personally, wouldn't take that risk.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Seconding the waiting. You have more elbow room than the usual person in this situation, because LD already knows they could be waiting a while for you to finish and polish up the book. It's not like LD requested the full and will kick you to the kerb if you don't respond within a week. I'm thinking you should give JR time.

socact

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Maya Rock last Tuesday, haven't heard anything. We went to the same college, majored in the same thing, were there at the same time...yeah, I'm hoping she takes pity on me and doesn't outright reject me. ;)

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
:D :D :D

Thanks. I'm trying to stay calm.

I got a request today from Levine Greenberg for a full.....are you kidding? DO THE HAPPY DANCE! I did, I did the happy dance all over my house....and you know what?

IT FEELS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hooray:

EgyptianGoddess

Working On Life
Registered
Reaction score
Hehe. Yes, yes it does. :D

Especially because he requested the full an hour after I sent the query. !!!

Again, woot!!!!

I got my request today in 16 minutes after sending the query. I even made the cat dance with me!:D

Congratulations and all the best! Let us know when you hear something.

White Ginger

Registered
Reaction score
Congrats, EgyptianGoddess!!!!! Good effort!

Keep us up to date! All fingers crossed here. Well now, that does make it hard to work my Mac keyboard, but...oh, what the hell!!!

Saltier

Small towns fuel escapism
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats EG and Red! Wow - those fast responses make me jealous! Here's hoping you get fast, positive responses on your fulls as well :)

Blind Writer

YA/MG Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kodykeplinger.com
Thought I'd check in. Still nothing from WH (Daniel), or half my other queries, but I did get a partial from anther agent ( a good one!!!) and a rejection from one at Trident. I wonder where my other queries wound up...........

Go RED!!!!!!!1

Maricar

Registered
Reaction score
I seem to be in the minority here, as I'm querying a non-fiction book. I just sent it to Maya Rock, with a note that the full proposal is available upon request.

Well, as I was writing this, I got my first form rejection from another agent (in a different house). Onwards...

redlady1

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, Maya has had by full for 8 weeks. When would be a good time to send her a ping (so to speak) or should I just wait it out?