• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

brgray19

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new here, but I've been checking out this site and thread for awhile. I know a bunch of people have mentioned querying Jodi Reamer, and I wanted to post some info I just saw.

It's a link from one of Jodi's clients who has some inside tips on querying Jodi:

http://apparentlyaprilynne.blogspot.com/

So I hope it helps!

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm new here, but I've been checking out this site and thread for awhile. I know a bunch of people have mentioned querying Jodi Reamer, and I wanted to post some info I just saw.

It's a link from one of Jodi's clients who has some inside tips on querying Jodi:

http://apparentlyaprilynne.blogspot.com/

So I hope it helps!

Let's see, what mistakes did I make? Well, I jumped right into the plot. No preambles like suggested on the blog. I've also queried Maya a month before (and had a request for a full . . . rejected due to personal taste . . . or so she claimed), but that was an e-query, so it didn't go to the same little mail room. I must admit, I thought I'd have a better chance with Maya considering how many people query Jodi.

Other than those two things, I still landed a request for a partial from Jodi (still surprised at that one . . . almost didn't query her because I didn't think I stood a chance). However, I did do everything else April suggested. At least I got something right ;)

The main thing--and everyone already knows this--is do your homework. I already knew what kinda of books Jodi reps, and I'm a big fan of three of her clients. I didn't mention it in the query, though. I've heard some agents like you to mention this. Good for their ego.

Good luck!

CMWarren

Registered
Reaction score
I am preparing to submit a query, synopsis, and 5 page sample to Josh Getzler sunday night. I have a two page synopsis, which tells the basic story of the book, and strives to introduce my main cast of characters for this book. I also noted that it is a adventure/thriller/mystery series, which is publishers marketplace entry notes he has interest in.

Is it wrong to say you have worked on your book, and the series by extension for 4 and a half years? I dont know if that counts against you or for you in a query, but I put it in to show that this isnt a whim, but something I put serious thought and effort into.

I am learning alot each time I query, and have had many positive rejections, where they passed as it was not what they wanted to represent, but felt had marketable potential, and that they feel I should continue to persue it.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck!

Don't mention anything about how long (or short) a time you worked on your book. Don't mention anything about the series (accept perhaps a brief mention that it's the first in an intended series- nothing more than that, and you might even want to leave that out, depending on how crucial it is).

If you get an offer, that'll be the time to fill in the story. For now, just get in, introduce your book and a little about yourself, and get out.

Let us know how it goes!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I am preparing to submit a query, synopsis, and 5 page sample to Josh Getzler sunday night. I have a two page synopsis, which tells the basic story of the book, and strives to introduce my main cast of characters for this book. I also noted that it is a adventure/thriller/mystery series, which is publishers marketplace entry notes he has interest in.

Is it wrong to say you have worked on your book, and the series by extension for 4 and a half years? I dont know if that counts against you or for you in a query, but I put it in to show that this isnt a whim, but something I put serious thought and effort into.

I am learning alot each time I query, and have had many positive rejections, where they passed as it was not what they wanted to represent, but felt had marketable potential, and that they feel I should continue to persue it.

You can put it up in Share Your Work if you want some suggestions about how to tighten it. Definitely DO NOT go into frivolous personal details. That includes how long you worked on it, how unique and wonderful you think it is, and what's going on in your life. Focus on the plot. Make it clear and concise. It's a business letter - be professional.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I

Welcome to the form rejection!

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score

CMWarren

Registered
Reaction score
Of the eight agents I have submitted to, only two have been form letters, and two never responded. The other six were lengthly personal responces with areas they felt needed improvement.

I know josh said that a synopsis is optional, but I took that to mean that if you have one, feel free to send it in, but it is not required. I have one, which is where I have got suggestions and prods of support for the concept of the story from agents, so it seems that the synopsis is enough for some of the agents I have submitted to, to see potential and marketablity for it. Which is why I am planning to send it along with my query and five page sample, which I picked from Chapter Four - since he didnt say it had to be the beginning - as that section is the point in the book when my main character gets pulled into the action of the story, and makes her emotionally (and hopefully the readers also) invested.

I cut the part about how long I have worked on the series, which I had written to note my seriousness about persuing the book. I did keep the mention that this is the first book in a planned and outlined series to note that while I am seeking to sell the first book, that my eventual career goal is to write and publish the series in its entirty if possible.

I am going to in a few minutes be sitting down with a friend who is going to read through my synopsis and query to make sure that it is nice and polished, as I am of course biased about what I write, and its good to have someone else look things through with a fine tooth comb.

I hope to send this out tommarow, which was later then I had original intended. I didnt want to rush through it anyways, but better late and more polished then rushing it, and making a few mistakes that may be a turn off for josh.

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
I hope to send this out tommarow, which was later then I had original intended. I didnt want to rush through it anyways, but better late and more polished then rushing it, and making a few mistakes that may be a turn off for josh.

*nods* Absolutely! Good for you for taking the time to polish! Best of luck! I sent mine to Maya Rock two weeks ago...still waiting with fingers crossed

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
five page sample, which I picked from Chapter Four - since he didnt say it had to be the beginning - .

Rule of thumb, always send sample pages from the beginning of the book. To do otherwise is a sure sign you're an amateur. And you don't want that, now do you? To send them from later on in the book also means your story doesn't get interesting until then. Maybe this is a sign that your book needs to start there, too. Just a thought.

LOL 2+2+6=10 agents not 8 (sorry, I'm a detail-oriented person).

Good luck with Josh!

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
In his Publisher's Marketplace listing, Getzler states:

"Query Letter plus 5 or so pages. (If a chapter is 6, go for it!) Synopsis is not necessary."

The guides on agents all recommend that an author strictly follow an agent's submission stipulations, no more, no less. The general rule of thumb is to keep the query letter very concise, no more than a page; also the synopsis should be tight. I interpret Getzler's point on a synopsis as not wanting one at the outset.

Also, Tuuli is right in saying you should submit the first five pages starting with chapter 1. Early on in my writing career, I was gently admonished by agents for doing otherwise.

CMWarren

Registered
Reaction score
sorry, late at night, my mind sometimes is a litttle mushy. hence why I waited till morning to send it in. That should be four.

I am still doing the very final tweaks to the opening four pages of the book, which is the prologue which I recently rewrote at the input from two agents who felt it needed a little work. I want to keep the process going. One of the reasons why I submitted a synopsis when it was optional was because I wanted to give a good understanding of what the book was about, but also allowed me to pick a part of the book that shows why I wrote it in the first place, and lays a basic understanding for the true quest of the series.

suki

Opinionated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
sorry, late at night, my mind sometimes is a litttle mushy. hence why I waited till morning to send it in. That should be four.

I am still doing the very final tweaks to the opening four pages of the book, which is the prologue which I recently rewrote at the input from two agents who felt it needed a little work. I want to keep the process going. One of the reasons why I submitted a synopsis when it was optional was because I wanted to give a good understanding of what the book was about, but also allowed me to pick a part of the book that shows why I wrote it in the first place, and lays a basic understanding for the true quest of the series.

You ultimately have to decide what to do, and this is probably off the topic of this thread here, but it really is rule of thumb to send the first however many pages of the book. To do otherwise sends strong negative signals about the quality of the book before those pages, synopsis or no synopsis.

good luck.

~suki

GhostAuthor

She who should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinabarber.net

Sorry, CW, but I'm with the others. . . only send the first 5 pages, not something in the middle. And stick to what the particular agent requests.

This is important because it shows the agent that 1) you bothered to read and follow the guidelines and 2) that you CAN follow the rules! (this shows you are professional).

Honestly, I've heard many agents and editors complain, "If you can't be bothered to follow the guidelines I posted, I can't be bothered to read your work." In a world where they receive hundreds of submissions a day, and don't have time beyond a few pages per, do you really wish to buck the 'norm'?

CMWarren

Registered
Reaction score
Well, every posting I found for him simply said a 5 page sample. none noted he wanted speicifically the first five.

caromora

Still alive. Kind of.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkstaind-stars.livejournal.com
CM--Sending the first pages of your MS, as opposed to random pages, is an industry standard. It doesn't state it specifically, because it's something that agents expect you to know already. I highly recommend checking out Miss Snark's blog, along with Nathan Bransford's and Kristin Nelson's. There's a wealth of information there!

To keep this post on topic, I just sent a query to Lindsay Davis. Fingers crossed. :)

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
CM--Sending the first pages of your MS, as opposed to random pages, is an industry standard. It doesn't state it specifically, because it's something that agents expect you to know already. I highly recommend checking out Miss Snark's blog, along with Nathan Bransford's and Kristin Nelson's. There's a wealth of information there!

To keep this post on topic, I just sent a query to Lindsay Davis. Fingers crossed. :)

CM, just trust us. We all know what we're talking about.

Caromora. Fingers crossed for you. What genre is your novel?

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
CM, I agree with the others here, but don't feel bad about the mistake. It's something most of us probably thought about when we were still new to the querying game. It's not explicitly stated, because it's taken for granted. For instance, it is also not explicitly stated that the five pages have to be consecutive. Could you interpret that as meaning you can save a page each from five random points in the book? I suppose, but the agent probably wouldn't be very happy. ;)

GhostAuthor

She who should be writing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christinabarber.net

Good Luck!

And to add to this. . . Mr. Getzler requested a partial a few weeks back, so I'm in waiting mode. He did indicate a 6 week turnaround. Will let you know more as it happens.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
It's a YA fantasy. Isn't everything these days? ;)

LOL. Yep. Mine's a YA urban fantasy romance.

Ghostwriter, I'm with you. It's been almost a month now since I sent Jodi my partial. I'm not in a rush to hear back from her quite yet. Then I can hold onto my delusion for a little longer that she might possibly request a full. ;)

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
It'll be three weeks on Monday since I sent Maya Rock my query! I'm so nervous! She says after 3 weeks, "feel free to remind" but I dread sending the nudge email. I suspect it'll just nudge her into remembering to send the rejection, haha. Stilll, I guess a form R is better than no answer at all. Mine's YA mystery. It's good to have other YA queriers with materials out to the group; makes me feel the camaraderie.

And you can be comforted, Tuuli, in knowing that Jodi just has a very long turnaround time. No wonder. Being Stephanie Meyer's agent must mean she's somewhere under a mountain of queries. That's spectacular she asked for your partial! I'd imagine it would have to be special to get to that stage with such a busy agent! You deserve a happy dance for that!