• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
For those of you looking for info on Lindsay Davis, I sent an e-query on December 11th and was asked to send a full on December 15th. Sent the full on December 21st and she responded with a rejection on January 30th. Not a bad turnaround time especially considering the holidays. Her rejection was very polite but it was a form. I asked her if she could give specific comments but she said she’d rather not as she thought she wasn’t a good fit for the project and didn’t want to send me in a direction another agent might disagree with. Not too sure if she said this because she didn’t have time to comment further or if that was her honest opinion, but overall the experience (though very disappointing, I would’ve loved at least some personalized feedback) was positive.

If you're thinking of querying Lindsay, make sure she's the first one at Writers House on your list. I don't remember where I saw it (Google her name to find the interview), but she doesn't want you to query her if you've already queried someone else in the agency. She's the only one with that policy. I'm not sure how she'd know, but you don't want to take a chance.

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Le Blanc, I agree with you (and ultimately her) The reader side of me remembers the many books (sometimes NYT bestsellers) that just didn't click with me for whatever reason, and I understand where she is coming from. However, the writer side of me screamed "but WHY????" lol :)

I agree with you Tuuli, and that's probaly what I would've done - which wouldn't be a good thing if the project just didn't click with her. *sigh* subing is hard on the mind huh?

soulcascade

Bright lights induce scuttling
Registered
Reaction score
oh BTW, before I subed to Lindsay, I queried two other agents at writers house but Lindsay still asked for a full from my query.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
oh BTW, before I subed to Lindsay, I queried two other agents at writers house but Lindsay still asked for a full from my query.

After reading Lindsay interview, I wondered if there was some in-house data base where they checked out potential queries so see if someone had read a partial or a full--or even a query. Obviously not.

Contrary to what I once read, I seriously doubt agents gossip around the water cooler about the latest queries and ms they've read. And since Lindsay lives on the otherside of the states, I really couldn't see how she would know a writer has already queried other agents at the agency...unless she has ESP.

Teriann

optimist
Registered
Reaction score
After reading Lindsay interview, I wondered if there was some in-house data base where they checked out potential queries so see if someone had read a partial or a full--or even a query. Obviously not.

Contrary to what I once read, I seriously doubt agents gossip around the water cooler about the latest queries and ms they've read. And since Lindsay lives on the otherside of the states, I really couldn't see how she would know a writer has already queried other agents at the agency...unless she has ESP.

The way she knows it is that she is the assistant to another agent as well as taking her own clients, so I believe she reads the other agent's queries as well as her own. I believe I saw that on a blog somewhere, but I can't remember where. As long as she is an assistant to a senior agent and taking her own clients, that rule would hold for obvious reasons.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
The way she knows it is that she is the assistant to another agent as well as taking her own clients, so I believe she reads the other agent's queries as well as her own. I believe I saw that on a blog somewhere, but I can't remember where. As long as she is an assistant to a senior agent and taking her own clients, that rule would hold for obvious reasons.

So basically, don't send the query to her after Steve Malk rejects it since she's his assistant. If you send it to an agent in the NYC office, then you're propably safe. She just doesn't want to waste time reading the same query twice. Makes sense. Once of often painful enough.

MDRoberg

Crimson Eleven Delight Petrichor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mdr-writes.livejournal.com
*crosses fingers that it'll let me post this time*

I queried Daniel Lazar back in October, sent it late Sunday night via e-mail and heard back by Monday afternoon. I was rejected, but it was a very polite rejection, stating that he didn't think it was the project for him. He also wished me luck in finding representation. Even though I got a rejection, that's left me with a favourable impression of Writers House.

I'm trying to decide if I want to query Jodi Reamer next, or Maya Rock.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
*crosses fingers that it'll let me post this time*

I queried Daniel Lazar back in October, sent it late Sunday night via e-mail and heard back by Monday afternoon. I was rejected, but it was a very polite rejection, stating that he didn't think it was the project for him. He also wished me luck in finding representation. Even though I got a rejection, that's left me with a favourable impression of Writers House.

I'm trying to decide if I want to query Jodi Reamer next, or Maya Rock.

My advice is go for Maya first. She is fast and is most likely to request your ms since she's a new agent. Most people find the turn around time is the same day to a couple of days for the query. If she requests your ms, then you're looking at anywhere from 4 hours (one of the girls in my writer's group) to three weeks. With Jodi, the odds are very low that she'll request a partial (but not unlikely), and unless she's interested (in which case she's lightning fast . . . too bad the mail wasn't in my case) you're looking at a long wait for the rejection (6-8 weeks and in some cases, never).

If it doesn't work out with Maya, then query Jodi. That's just a suggestion. But remember, Jodi is everyone dream agent (including mine). She receives thousands of queries a year.

One hint (from my experience), Maya isn't into super romantic books. That was the reason she passed on mine . . . though it was close.

Hope that helps with the decision making. Both are great agents. Anyone would be lucky to have either one represent them. And I only have the nicest things to say about Maya from my personal experience with her.

Good luck with your query.

MDRoberg

Crimson Eleven Delight Petrichor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mdr-writes.livejournal.com
I decided to query another agent first, but if I get rejected here, I'll try Maya. What do you mean by "super romantic"? My novel's got some romance in it, but it isn't a bodice ripper or anything; the romance is a side-plot.

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I decided to query another agent first, but if I get rejected here, I'll try Maya. What do you mean by "super romantic"? My novel's got some romance in it, but it isn't a bodice ripper or anything; the romance is a side-plot.

That's fine. Mine is a YA urban fantasy romance. No bodice ripping though.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com

Just a note, Awegliriel. I'd be careful using the term "bodice ripper" around any future potential readers. It's a VERY derogatory term to romance readers --- akin to the "N" word to African-Americans. The equivalent definition of "bodice-ripping" is "rape." Nobody in romance wants to have their books seen as rape novels.

Just FYI. :)

dragonkid

Beware of killer butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know if Robin Rue accepts e-mail queries? Agent Query seems to indicate that she does not, but I know from past experience that some of their listings are mistaken in this regard.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked, but does anyone know if Robin Rue accepts e-mail queries? Agent Query seems to indicate that she does not, but I know from past experience that some of their listings are mistaken in this regard.

She does not. Snail mail only.

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before and I already assume the answer, but want to make sure. I was looking at Maya Rock's agentquery entry and she wants a query letter plus the first page "and/or" a synopsis. I'm going to just send the page, but wanted to make sure I don't need a synopsis ready. So, if you don't send a synopsis with the initial query, does anyone know if she asks for it with the partial? Do the other agents who don't require synopses in the initial queries ask for them later?

Writing a synopsis is my greatest fear, but my even greater fear is that I'll suddenly have to write one in a short period of time. Say it ain't so!

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry if this has been asked before and I already assume the answer, but want to make sure. I was looking at Maya Rock's agentquery entry and she wants a query letter plus the first page "and/or" a synopsis. I'm going to just send the page, but wanted to make sure I don't need a synopsis ready. So, if you don't send a synopsis with the initial query, does anyone know if she asks for it with the partial? Do the other agents who don't require synopses in the initial queries ask for them later?

Writing a synopsis is my greatest fear, but my even greater fear is that I'll suddenly have to write one in a short period of time. Say it ain't so!

In my experience with Maya, she doesn't require a synopsis at any point. A friend of mine had to write two because she had planned a series, but Maya only asked for those once she offered to represent her.

It's really a hit and miss as to who will eventually ask for synopsis. Of the four requests I've had, two asked for synopsis (one partial and one full ms request). And you don't know who they'll be (unless it's posted somewhere on these boards) until it goes beyond the query stage.

For great hints on writing the synopsis, check out www.querytracker.blogspot.com.

Good luck!

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
revolocard - Some agents will ask for a synopsis when requesting a partial or a full. I would go ahead and write one now--I understand the fear of writing one, I'm terrible at them--so you have one ready just in case an agent requests one. And even if you don't get asked for one, it's useful to have it. Further down the road, when you get signed, your agent will most likely want a synopsis from you to pitch with the manuscript.

Nakhlasmoke

yes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cathellisen.com
I agree with JenWriter - best to get that sucker over with. :D

I also had a few synopses of different lengths prepared, so that I would have one that would suit whatever the agent requested.

(Yeah, I can be a tad anal, mmkay)

Mt. Dew Addict

Oh my...I'm a big girl now...eep?
Registered
Reaction score
Rovoclad-

I totally hear you about synopsis writing. It took forever to write mine.

There are a bunch of resources to help you out, however. I highly recommend "The Sell Your Novel Toolkit" by Elizabeth Lyon for synopsis writing. In her example, she takes "The Wizard of Oz" and turns the plot, point-by-point, into about a page-long synopsis. It really helped me look at my own work and distill it. Much of the book is now outdated -- my edition was done in 1997, pre-electronic everything -- but Oz's synopsis is great.

Also, JenWriter blogged about how she tackles synopsis writing. She does a great job of breaking it into steps, so it's not nearly as overwhelming.

http://jenhayley.com/2009/02/05/writing-the-synopsis/

Good luck! And know you are not alone!

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Josh Getzler

Josh Getzler is a junior agent who is relatively new at Writers House. He requested a partial from me seven weeks ago. From other sources, it appears he takes about three months before getting back to an author. So, I'm biding my time.

Just wondering if anyone has had any dealings with Getzler and how they went.

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I guess I better write a synopsis. Writing my query was such a nightmare, I'm not exactly looking forward to this, but I know you're right. It's gotta be done. *deep breath and warrior face* I'm off to check out the resources everyone recommended!

Queried Maya Rock on Monday. Fingers crossed!

Tuuli

Research Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I guess I better write a synopsis. Writing my query was such a nightmare, I'm not exactly looking forward to this, but I know you're right. It's gotta be done. *deep breath and warrior face* I'm off to check out the resources everyone recommended!

Don't worry Revolocard. The query was the hardest part. If you can do the minisynopsis for your query, then you can do the full one. Just remember, include the ending otherwise it goes straight in the trash can (or so I've been told).

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
Daniel Lazar

I can attest to the fact that Daniel Lazar is very fast. Sent in a query on Sunday night at 10:00. By 5:00 in the morning, I had a request for a full by email. I sent him the manuscript yesterday(Tuesday) afternoon at 3:00. I got my rejection at 10:00 tonight(Wednesday).

It was tough(sorry, that's a hell of an understatement!) since it was sort of personalized/sort of form response. I had already read through this thread, so I knew he sometimes passed on the names of potential interested agents. Yeah, he didn't do that for me! I was also hoping to get some feedback, which I didn't.

EDITED: Even though it's "poor form", I got the nerve to email Daniel for some suggestions about what was wrong. He very graciously emailed me back on the same day and gave me some ideas. I really appreciated it, and it's really true that he's a stand up guy! Anyone who works with him is very lucky.

Last edited: