• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

JmHaBjW

Registered
Reaction score
Beth Miller responded really quickly to my query. I would say that it was about two weeks. But I wouldn't worry yet. I think she says it takes at most two months right?

quillfish

Registered
Reaction score
Beth Miller responded really quickly to my query. I would say that it was about two weeks. But I wouldn't worry yet. I think she says it takes at most two months right?

I have in my spreadsheet 6-8 weeks, but I'm pretty sure I got that from the Writers House submission page. Thanks for the info!

Addendum - And I heard from her the very next day. :]

Last edited:

Adam Hammonds

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adam-hammonds.com
Josh Getzler

Anyone have any experience with Getzler submission turnaround? He says the aim is one month for a partial, but I've seen some people saying they were waiting longer than that.

Also, is anyone here repped by Mr. G?

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with Getzler submission turnaround? He says the aim is one month for a partial, but I've seen some people saying they were waiting longer than that.

Nov 5 e query, same day request for 100 page partial. He replied immediately with a friendly word of thanks. Silence since. How long have you been waiting?

brimfire

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Jennifer Escott is still Merrilee Heifetz assistant?

Nahotep

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thetulgey.blogspot.com
Hey WH experts,

I queried Jodi Reamer via snail mail back on Sept. 9 and haven't heard back. From what I hear, that's not unusual for her. I know I can't query anyone else at WH until I hear back from Jodi. So how long do I wait? Should I email a gentle inquiry to Jodi, asking about the status of my snail mail query? Snail mail the inquiry? Wait until three or four months have officially passed, then inquire?

I'm kind of wishing I'd queried Dan Lazar or Rebecca Sherman first, rather than uber rockstar agent Jodi, now that I see how slow her replies can be. But I do want to be respectful and give her enough time before I bug her.

Any advice?

katrina_wooooo

Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had advice, but I got a rejection in two weeks over the summer so I'm a completely different scenario. And I'm still trying to figure out whether that response time is good or bad for me.

lkp

Registered
Reaction score
Hey WH experts,

I queried Jodi Reamer via snail mail back on Sept. 9 and haven't heard back. From what I hear, that's not unusual for her. I know I can't query anyone else at WH until I hear back from Jodi. So how long do I wait? Should I email a gentle inquiry to Jodi, asking about the status of my snail mail query? Snail mail the inquiry? Wait until three or four months have officially passed, then inquire?

I'm kind of wishing I'd queried Dan Lazar or Rebecca Sherman first, rather than uber rockstar agent Jodi, now that I see how slow her replies can be. But I do want to be respectful and give her enough time before I bug her.

Any advice?

I think once three or four months have passed without a word, you could query someone else at the agency, but I think I'd mention that you did query Reamer in early Sept. and never heard back, just so if there are any issues of turf, the other agent can deal with them right away.
I would not status check n a query.

And honestly (and this is general advice, not just for you) I don't think I'd query anyone new right now until late January , what with the holidays, the change in gov't and the economy. It is just not a good time for people to start new ventures.

revolocard

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I'm new here and am delighted to have found this forum! Thank you everyone for their imput all over the Background check section! I hope to do my part in adding as I research agents and then begin the scary process of querying.

Don't know if you all have seen any of these, but thought I'd share the fruits of my research. Even if they're repeats of links given earlier, since the thread's so long, at least there can be some in a single place! A lot of these are from 2007, so a little old, but at least it can give some idea of their personalities and what captures their eye.

Interview with Maya Rock:
http://www.webdelsol.com/Algonkian/interview-mrock.htm

Interview with Dan Lazar
http://writerunboxed.com/2007/09/28/interview-daniel-lazar/

Interview with Rebecca Sherman
http://cynthialeitichsmith.blogspot.com/2007/05/novel-secrets-series-interview-with_24.html

Interview with Steve Malk
http://almafullerton.livejournal.com/40031.html

Holly Lisle talking briefly about Robin Rue as her manager. Just scroll down past "Agents in General".
http://hollylisle.com/fm/Articles/agent3.html

Both Josh Getzler and Lindsay Davis (Jr. Agents) made the August 08 Writer's Digest list of "28 Agents Who Want Your Work." Pretty basic info, but more detail on Lindsay than I've yet found.
http://www.writersdigest.com/article/28-agents-who-want-your-work/

And I found 1000LiteraryAgents.com useful in being able to flip easily between the specifics of what each Writers House agent is looking for (easier for me than agentquery).
http://www.1000literaryagents.com/literary-agent.php?id=1038

Hope that helps! Writers House is obviously a great pub house. I'm hoping to submit my YA mystery novel and am trying to figure out my priority list of who to query first, so I'm definitely interested in what everyone has to say. I'm especially interested in any news on their reputations, though I'm eating up all the info on their turnaround stats. I was originally going to query Jodi Reamer, but it looks like that might not be the best idea right now with the slow turn around a lot of you are getting.

saeglopur

Registered
Reaction score
I've queried Jodi Reamer twice this year, she's responded within 3 weeks each time. I queried Rebecca Sherman and Maya Rock as well, both form rejections within 2 weeks.

Busy Writer Bee

Registered
Reaction score
Mr. G

Yes, Adam. He's really cool. He's repping me now. If you want to know more details on response times, please contact me via AW email. Nothing bad at all, but I just don't check every thread posting.

Prawn

Writing is finite,revising infinite
Registered
Reaction score
I queried Josh via email. He was very friendly and quick. He requested the first 100 pages via e-mail.

Pink Ink

girl at heart
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pink-ink-pink.blogspot.com
Busy: *Jodi Reamer takes email queries* Really? (million dollar question) Do you have info on how to contact her this way?? This must be a new development as I'd never heard this before...

Revolocard: Thanks for sharing your research!

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
I requeried Maya Rock on the weekend (she was away from the office the first time), and she requested the Full the next business day.

Research indicates she's a speedy responder, even on a full, so I can't stop checking my email.

Woo, wish me luck! :)

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
I requeried Maya Rock on the weekend (she was away from the office the first time), and she requested the Full the next business day.

Research indicates she's a speedy responder, even on a full, so I can't stop checking my email.

Woo, wish me luck! :)

GOOD LUCK! :hooray: