• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Sera Phyn

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sera-phyn.com
Roger J Carlson said:
Pink Ink said:
I wish I could query other agents in Writer's House, but I also heard that once you heard from one, they are speaking for all the other agents. Thoughts, anyone?

This may be true for some agencies, but it is not true for Writers House (unless their policies have changed recently). I heard Dan speak at a writer's conference a few years ago and he specifically said that you can query multiple agents at Writers House as long as you do it serially (that is one at a time).

I can confirm what Roger said. I have queried several of the agents at Writer's House and they have no problem with it as long as you do not query multiple agents at the same time. The only situation they don't want arising is two of their agents fighting over the same manuscript. :)

andynelson

Registered
Reaction score
Josh Getzler

Just curious if anyone knows his response times for queries. Sent him one in early August and no word.

Rena316

Registered
Reaction score
Crime fiction representation

Hi everyone!

This thread has been extremely helpful. Thanks to everyone for their inside information. I was wondering as a write of crime fiction, who at WH would be best to query. I think Maya Rock's is great. She seems really energetic about what she represents, and also seems to have a broad taste in what she takes on. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Anybody have any dirt on Simon Lipskar? Any clients of his out there by the cooler? Know of his preferences? Response times? Taking new clients?

katrina_wooooo

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I have a question about Mr. Lipskar, too. On most/all databases, YA is not listed as a genre he represents. However, he does represent Paolini and the Inheritance cycle; so would it be appropriate to query him with a YA manuscript, or no?

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, I have a question about Mr. Lipskar, too. On most/all databases, YA is not listed as a genre he represents. However, he does represent Paolini and the Inheritance cycle; so would it be appropriate to query him with a YA manuscript, or no?
I don't think so. I ate dinner next to him at a pre-conference dinner a few years ago (so this might be out-dated), but I talked to him about my YA novel, and he suggested I send it to Merrilee Heifetz. My impression was that he wasn't actively looking for new clients.

I'd suggest trying Dan Lazar first.

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score

From the interviews I've seen, Eragon was not written as a YA book, that's just the audience it's found and the way Knopf decided to market it. Plus it started as a self-published book and made significant sales, so by the time the agent picked it up it already had a market. So the agent didn't really need to a YA expert for this particular series.

K. M. Walton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kmwalton.com
JenWriter: Any word yet on your stuff that's out there? No final word yet for me. I did get an email from Jodi two weeks back and she said she wanted me to know she hadn't forgotten about me...which is good - better than a no.

kjauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Steven Malk

Hi all,

My manuscript is with Steven Malk for almost a month now. I had mentioned it in the query that its an exclusive submission. But i have received no response as yet. I have read in some interviews that he is pretty quick about his responses; for full only two weeks or so. What should i do now? I don't even know if they received my submission.

Thanks

Barber

Timing is everything...
Registered
Reaction score
From your post, it sounds like you queried and submitted your MS at the same time? Most agents don't accept unsolicited MSs, meaning you have to approach them with a query letter, let them ask you for the MS, then establish the exclusivity from there.

Now, maybe I misunderstood your post, and I'm sorry if that's the case. :)

kjauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Steven Malk

No, i actually queried, he asked for full. How long should i wait before e-mailing again to ask? Everyone says he is pretty quick.

kjauthor

Registered
Reaction score
Steven Malk

Steven Malk requested a two week exclusive on my full a month ago, and I still haven't heard anything. Has anyone else had this happen, and if you have when did he finally respond? I've heard that he might reply around the 6-8 wk mark...

Hi, so did you hear from Steven Malk? What was the time frame if you may mention. My full is also with him for almost a month but he didn't write to me after i sent him the requested full, so i don't know how to respond. as i knew that he liked exclusive submissions, i mentioned it in my query that it was one.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Patience at this point is a virtue. I'd advise waiting at least 3 months before inquiring unless you get other requests from previous queries.

JmHaBjW

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any recent information about Robin Rue?

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if anyone had any recent information about Robin Rue?

She requested a 50-page partial from a snail query last month. I emailed it that night and got a very nice, detailed rejection via snail mail 10 days later.

I'm oh-fer-three with Writers House on this query cycle.

JmHaBjW

Registered
Reaction score
Is beth miller still her assistant? The reason I ask is that she requested a revision from me a while back. I have since editing the manuscript and was going to resend it, but I'm not sure who to address it to. I'm assuming Robin Rue, but I talked with Beth Miller

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Is beth miller still her assistant? The reason I ask is that she requested a revision from me a while back. I have since editing the manuscript and was going to resend it, but I'm not sure who to address it to. I'm assuming Robin Rue, but I talked with Beth Miller

Yes, my initial request and subsequent rejection came from Beth Miller.

quillfish

Registered
Reaction score
She requested a 50-page partial from a snail query last month. I emailed it that night and got a very nice, detailed rejection via snail mail 10 days later.

I'm oh-fer-three with Writers House on this query cycle.

Do you mind me asking whether she responded to you via email or snail mail, and how long after you queried? Just curious.

Thanks!

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
Do you mind me asking whether she responded to you via email or snail mail, and how long after you queried? Just curious.

Thanks!

Not at all.

I snail mailed the query on 10/14 and received a 50 page partial request via email. I emailed the partial and synopsis that night and got a snail rejection on 10/23.

Quick and painless.

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
I also snail queried Robin Rue and received an email request from her assistant for a partial a couple of days later. Before she had a chance to read and while Robin was out of the country for a week, I received an offer for another agent so I had to withdraw my submission. She'd had it about three weeks at that point.

quillfish

Registered
Reaction score
Not at all.

I snail mailed the query on 10/14 and received a 50 page partial request via email. I emailed the partial and synopsis that night and got a snail rejection on 10/23.

Quick and painless.

Thanks much!

quillfish

Registered
Reaction score
I also snail queried Robin Rue and received an email request from her assistant for a partial a couple of days later. Before she had a chance to read and while Robin was out of the country for a week, I received an offer for another agent so I had to withdraw my submission. She'd had it about three weeks at that point.

Congratulations, Jen - I've seen your picture on a number of threads and feel like I know you at this point!

quillfish

Registered
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone out there has experience with longer wait times from Robin Rue? Looking at this thread and at agent turnaround times, she (or her assistant) seems to respond pretty quickly with either requests or rejections. I queried about a month ago.