• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com
The literary agent world is dismal at best. Now, I know why there's a link for "rejection depression" on the absolute cooler index.

Yeah, come join the lot of us over in that section. I'm querying someone at Writers House and waiting for my form reject. You know, like the ones I've gotten from everyone else. ;)

I think things would be easier for me if my betas hadn't loved my stuff, but as it stands the whole querying thing is utterly depressing for me. My husband and I had "the talk" today, and I think I'm going to stop trying the writing deal all together. I don't want to end up bitter AND alone. So... good luck. Don't let it consume you.

bluemoonscribe

Registered
Reaction score
I sent an email query to Daniel Lazar. His rejection was prompt and polite.

June Afternoon

I checked Daniel Lazar's PublishersMarketplace page and he said he represents Young Adult, but does anyone know if that includes fantasy young adult? I know WH represented Stephenie Meyer's Twilight, but that was Jodi Reamer, and she clearly states Fantasy in her PM page. As does Maya Rock.

I don't know if by Young Adult he means also fantasy young adult. If anyone knows, please holla, because I would love to query Mr. Lazar!

NiennaC

Registered
Reaction score
I checked Daniel Lazar's PublishersMarketplace page and he said he represents Young Adult, but does anyone know if that includes fantasy young adult? I know WH represented Stephenie Meyer's Twilight, but that was Jodi Reamer, and she clearly states Fantasy in her PM page. As does Maya Rock.

I don't know if by Young Adult he means also fantasy young adult. If anyone knows, please holla, because I would love to query Mr. Lazar!

I'm fairly certain he takes Young Adult Fantasy - he read my urban fantasy, at least (passed on it, but was very polite). And, I did here he reads reg. fantasy, too, although I could be wrong.

June Afternoon

Thanks! That's nice to know for when I finalize my project.

Quick question, do you guys think any agents have an aversion to international writers? I have never sent out queries (going to begin doing that when I finish my current fantasy project), so I want to know if that's something they'd even consider. I lived in the US for five years, which is how I know how to speak English.

I read on a site that you should always include that in a query, because it makes you stand out. But then I read in Kristin Nelson's blog that she has to fill out extra paperwork for the IRS because of the nationality issue with one of her clients, so maybe agents don't want the extra headache?

>.< Ugh.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
There may be a few to whom it would be a problem.
I queried US agents extensively before I got representation in the UK and no-one ever mentioned it as a problem. I know a number of UK writers who have US agents

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
I submitted and got a nice form letter 7 days later. I was so surprised to see it that quickly! I was actually stoked about my first rejection. Though I am sure that enthusiasm will dissipate quickly. But for now, bird by bird.

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted and got a nice form letter 7 days later. I was so surprised to see it that quickly! I was actually stoked about my first rejection. Though I am sure that enthusiasm will dissipate quickly. But for now, bird by bird.

Good for you, Straka! Congrats on your first rejection and welcome to the trenches!

You've got just the right kind of attitude working to handle the long waits and repeated rejections of publishing and agent querying, so my guess is that you'll be snatched up any moment now!
:e2headban

Straka

Bored Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
danstraka.blogspot.com
Hey thanks. They say misery loves company, but I'm not miserable but it still nice to have people going through similar paces. And I admit, I never thought finding an agent would take so much effort. Its a whole other animal.

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
If you sent a query to Writer's House and it's been nearly 4 months without any word at all, would it be ok to send another query for a different manuscript to the same agent even though they haven't responded to your first one?

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
If you sent a query to Writer's House and it's been nearly 4 months without any word at all, would it be ok to send another query for a different manuscript to the same agent even though they haven't responded to your first one?

I'd say don't send a query for a different book. After four months, however, I think it would be good to send a status query.

williamfromkc

I'm keeping my day job
Registered
Reaction score
Here are some interesting statistics I compiled for fun but may actually be helpful to my fellow writers trying to land a decent agent.
As of today, total agents queried: 24
Number of responses: 12
Average time before response: 6.09 days
Median response time: 5 days
And for agents who have not yet responded:
Average length since query: 14.46
Median length since query: 15.00

Keep in mind that I started queries just before the holidays. I have a theory that agents pretty much stop answering after the second week of December.

Since I'm posting this on a thread related to Writers House, I'll give you those stats too. I sent a query on the 12th of December. It's been 19 days and no response. I sent it directly to Maya after reading her description of her tastes. Plus, I sensed she was the real gate keeper.

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
Here are some interesting statistics I compiled for fun but may actually be helpful to my fellow writers trying to land a decent agent.
As of today, total agents queried: 24
Number of responses: 12
Average time before response: 6.09 days
Median response time: 5 days
And for agents who have not yet responded:
Average length since query: 14.46
Median length since query: 15.00

Keep in mind that I started queries just before the holidays. I have a theory that agents pretty much stop answering after the second week of December.

Since I'm posting this on a thread related to Writers House, I'll give you those stats too. I sent a query on the 12th of December. It's been 19 days and no response. I sent it directly to Maya after reading her description of her tastes. Plus, I sensed she was the real gate keeper.

Were these responses from agents rejections or interests in seeing your work?

williamfromkc

I'm keeping my day job
Registered
Reaction score
Writers House

Q: "Were these responses from agents rejections or interests in seeing your work?"

A: Yes ;)

katrina_wooooo

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I was just wondering if anybody could tell me if Simon Lipskar accepts queries via email, or is he only reachable through snail mail?

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
I got a request for a partial from Simon Lipskar two days after I sent in the snail mail query. I sent it to him via email attachment later that day (November 9).

I'm still waiting to hear back.

katrina_wooooo

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow! Thanks, caromora, for pointing out that site - I'd never been there before, but it seems like a brilliant resource! And thanks, vandal, for giving me an idea of what sort of schedule I'm looking at. I appreciate the help greatly. :)

Dragon-lady

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Anyone know who is the best bet at Writer's House for epic fantasy? :)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Merilee Heifetz seems to sell a lot of fantasy according to the reports in Locus magazine

Dragon-lady

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Oooo I've heard of Locus but I'm not subscribed to it! Is it a good thing to get?

Thanks waylander. I'll look her up.

Edit: I love research!