• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
Note the word: simultaneously.

This means at the same time - so I think if you are rejected and then try another agents its ok. I don't think they want two agents fighting over the same MS.

:) I did my last edit on my MS. I will be submitting to Steve Malk in about a week! I am so excited.... LOL

Last edited:

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, if you receive a rejection, you can submit to whomever else at the agency you want.

rifferaff

kickin' you-know-what
Registered
Reaction score
Website
rifferaff.typepad.com
Thought it ultimately ended in two rejections, I had a good experience with Steven Malk:

Queried April 18.
Full request April 19
Rejection May 24
The rejection was personalized and very complimentary of my writing with an invitation to resubmit in the future. At this time, I was in the middle of a major re-write, so I responded asking if they'd (Steven and his assistant) like to see my revisions. They did.
Sent revised full July 30
Rejection August 24
Once again they still had issues with the plot but complimented my writing and invited to resubmit future work.

If I don't get agented for this book, I'll definitely keep them at the top of my list for the next go 'round.

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Ilove2write - what kind of work did you send?

Also when querying Mr. Malk do you get a auto reply to say he got it? (not read but just arrived - auto system reply)

Last edited:

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck Ilove2write - what kind of work did you send?

Also when querying Mr. Malk do you get a auto reply to say he got it? (not read but just arrived - auto system reply)

Thanks Herenow :)

I actually sent Daniel Lazar a query for a kids book.

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
:) I sent my query to Steve Malk... its my first query I have sent. Let's see who replies first ! I sent mine today. It's exciting for sure.

ILove2Write

Jaws has nightmares too
Registered
Reaction score
And Rejection. Very fast but he is nice.

Good Luck Herenow with Steven Malk. I was thinking about querying him next. Since this is your first query - some advice: don't get discouraged if it's a no (which I hope it isn't) - just keep on sending queries out. :)

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
:) thank you for giving that advice. I have kept that in mind and as a mental out I have another agent I would very much like to work with. I think that will help me if I get a no. However it will suprise me if he doesn't at least request a full, as unlike Daniel Lazar, Steve only wants the query, no sample pages. I hope he requests the full as that will increase my confidence in my query!

I am sorry on your rejection. But one thing I have been thinking about these last few days, is that we need agents that are mad for our work. Hug...

Funny thing - I will send to Daniel Lazar if Steve passes. HA!

Last edited:

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
:) thank you for giving that advice. I have kept that in mind and as a mental out I have another agent I would very much like to work. I think that will help me if I get a no. However it will suprise me if he doesn't at least request a full, as unlike Daniel Lazar, Steve only wants the query, no sample pages. I hope he requests the full as that will increase my confidence in my query!

I am sorry on your rejection. But one thing I have been thinking about these last few days, is that we need agents that are mad for our work. Hug...

Steve takes queries only because he's not actively building, so he only follows up with projects that really fit into his catalog at the present. He's pretty busy.

He doesn't have an auto-reply that I know of, but you should hear back within 2 weeks (though times vary).

Good luck though!

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you Ryan, that is good to know.

I hope your editor submissions are moving along!!!

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
A email from his assistant:

We’re afraid that your project doesn't seem like the right fit for our list, so we’ve decided to decline the invitation to read your work. Thanks again for thinking of us, and we wish you the best of luck in finding a good home for your writing.

It does seem strange to me, as I thought he wanted Mid-grade boys with some humor. I guess I need a more hungry agent ;) well thats my first rejection over. It felt like a punch to the heart. Especially as its my Birthday. Boohoo....

Ruth2

Tam, na Koncu Drevoreda
Registered
Reaction score

We’re afraid that your project doesn't seem like the right fit for our list, so we’ve decided to decline the invitation to read your work. Thanks again for thinking of us, and we wish you the best of luck in finding a good home for your writing.

It does seem strange to me, as I thought he wanted Mid-grade boys with some humor. I guess I need a more hungry agent ;) well thats my first rejection over. It felt like a punch to the heart. Especially as its my Birthday. Boohoo....

:Hug2:Hang in there and keep submitting. Your book will find a home. :) PS Happy Birthday!

Last edited:

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
Makes me think of Henry and June - when Henry says "You got to take some punches." YEH RIGHT!

Changing the subject. I saw the movie "Kick Ass" last night - wish I was watching it tonight for the first time ;)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score

Congratulations, you have passed another test of becoming a writer. You have been rejected and survived

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
I have a bruise on my chin. But I need an agent that loves my concept, loves my character and wants to read my work!

No longer a virgin.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score

Yeah, Steve does seem to have a lot of "boy books" in general, especially around the middle grade section, so he has to be really selective because contacts can only go so far. Good luck as you continue on--querying sucks, but it's worth it in the end!

herenow

Registered
Reaction score
Yeh I agree it sucks. I wish he had at least requested a few chapters, but it's not to be.

lm728

i'm baaaacccckkkkkk
Registered
Reaction score
Got a first 50 pages request from Jodi after a deluge of rejections.
She's my dream agent. I would want to snag any Writers House agent, but Jodi's the one that comes to mind first.
I'm keeping my fingers, legs, and limbs crossed.
I really, really hope she likes it.

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know how long it takes to get a positive response to a full from Dan Lazar? I see at QT that of 700 queries he's never made an offer--tough odds.

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone know how long it takes to get a positive response to a full from Dan Lazar? I see at QT that of 700 queries he's never made an offer--tough odds.

He has a lot of clients, so he's likely very selective at this point. Agents get a couple thousand queries a year, and some only sign 1 or 2 people a year if that--so the 700 aren't necessarily the most representative. I'd say, give him 3 months--I know he is said to take a little while lately--after that, feel free to e-mail for an update.

lisa17

Registered
Reaction score
Ryan some questions about submissions

Hi Ryan...You seem to be so knowledgeable. Hope you will answer a few questions. How long has your book been in submission to editors? Are you kept apprised of rejections if there are any? How many editors does a submission go to before an agent gives up. Obviously, I am in the submission stage and could use any info you might be willing to share.

Thanks,

Lisa17

Last edited:

Ryan_Sullivan

Agented YA Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Ryan...You seem to be so knowledgeable. Hope you will answer a few questions. How long has your book been in submission to editors? Are you kept apprised of rejections if there are any? How many editors does a submission go to before an agent gives up. Obviously, I am in the submission stage and could use any info you might be willing to share.

Thanks,

Lisa17

Hi Lisa,

I can only speak about my experience here, but so far, we've done one batch of submissions toward the beginning of July. I didn't hear back about them, but I met my agent at a conference at the beginning of August, so we talked about it there. He did pass the rejections along after that meeting. We haven't done a second batch yet, as it was a really busy time for the publishing world, for him, and I have been to busy to really care for a while, but will do more soon. As far as how many before quitting--we discussed this, and we're going to submit to whoever he thinks would be a good fit. If we get to a point of submitting just to sell it, we'll back away from this project and try my next one.

Does that answer everything?

lisa17

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

Hi Lisa,

I can only speak about my experience here, but so far, we've done one batch of submissions toward the beginning of July. I didn't hear back about them, but I met my agent at a conference at the beginning of August, so we talked about it there. He did pass the rejections along after that meeting. We haven't done a second batch yet, as it was a really busy time for the publishing world, for him, and I have been to busy to really care for a while, but will do more soon. As far as how many before quitting--we discussed this, and we're going to submit to whoever he thinks would be a good fit. If we get to a point of submitting just to sell it, we'll back away from this project and try my next one.

Does that answer everything?

Yes, it does. It seems that getting an agent is just the beginning of the waiting process. Keep us all posted on when you get a publisher . Wishing you the best of luck.

Lisa