• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

emstar94

Registered
Reaction score
Adding to the thread,

Queried Brianne YA Contemporary; July 31st
Full request; August 2nd

Andddd waiting

emstar94

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Samantha Wekstein about 2 months ago. The last couple of times (2010, 20I1, two different mms) I queried Writers House, I never got a reply. We'll see how this attempt goes.

I'm not hugely familiar with the publishing world but I'd say you're still in with a chance after two months, from what I've read on Brianne she tends to request fairly fast when she's interested but I don't know on Samantha,
You could maybe do a status check just to see if she received it?

emstar94

Registered
Reaction score
To update...

Brianne contacted me a few days back, and essentially right now my book is too much tell not enough show SO I am doing major revision and rewrite and she is willing to look at it again when I'm finished

Fingers crossed :)

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I've been very impressed with Ms. Johnson. Good luck with the R&R!

To update...

Brianne contacted me a few days back, and essentially right now my book is too much tell not enough show SO I am doing major revision and rewrite and she is willing to look at it again when I'm finished

Fingers crossed :)

Lady MacBeth

Out, damn'd spot! out, I say.
Registered
Reaction score
I also queried Samantha Wekstein. No response.

gbhike

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Dan Conaway about two months ago and never got a response. Their website says they respond to all inquiries. Should I nudge him, or should I just try another agent at the company?

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Slightly baffling update about Wekstein: I've now had three identical rejections for that same mms from her. I sent her a withdrawal letter at the end of September, and accepted the publisher offer. The last rejection was last week.

I can only guess my last email never reached her, and that her submissions log system didn't flag her decision.

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Merrilee Heifetz on december 18. Her assistant requested the first 50 pages on friday. Now I'm officially a wreck, since Merrilee is my number one agent, and I know the chance is still pretty small.

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
Queried Merrilee Heifetz on december 18. Her assistant requested the first 50 pages on friday. Now I'm officially a wreck, since Merrilee is my number one agent, and I know the chance is still pretty small.

Update with full request on 1/23. Sent 1/25. Now I'm crossing everything I've got.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Update with R&R today. Don’t know if I should be happy or sad :)

I think a friend of mine had an R&R and several requests to keep sending material. If I remember correctly Writer's House agents are keen on finding books they feel they can sell, but also try to stick with authors they like but who don't (yet) have a saleable MS.

writera

Registered
Reaction score
Update with R&R today. Don’t know if I should be happy or sad :)

I think an R & R from an agent/agency of this calibre is very encouraging.

They have my full too, but still waiting to hear back.

How detailed were their notes and did they give you an estimate of how long you should take with the revision or how long they'd take to make a decision on the revised version?

Last edited:

JeanGenie

Such a Greenie
Registered
Reaction score
I think an R & R from an agent/agency of this calibre is very encouraging.

They have my full too, but still waiting to hear back.

How detailed were their notes and did they give you an estimate of how long you should take with the revision or how long they'd take to make a decision on the revised version?

It was my fourth query and first R&R, so I have nothing to say compare it with, but I’d say medium detailed. Perhaps a page on both small and big issues that need to be dealt with. No timeframe and no estimate of response time. They wanted me to resubmit, but did not ask for an exclusive (they did ask for that on the full, so perhaps it’s still implied, either way I want this agent so I’m not going to shop around with the revised ms). It felt more like a rejection with a loophole, but I’m going to take everything I get:)

Good luck with your full! Which agent did you query? Feel free to PM:)

EConnally

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, newbie here. Have any of you ever queried, or know someone who has queried Merrilee Heifetz with a graphic novel proposal? I have looked through this thread and have not found anyone yet, so thought I would send out a message :).

If you have submitted a graphic novel query to her, what all did you include? I understand the requirements for Writer's House writing submissions, but as I am also the artist I was unsure what all to submit.

Thank you for your time and excited to join this community!

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
This is a late reply, but I think graphic novel subs are similar to picture book subs. You send the query (and pages if they take pages as part of the first step) as for any submission. Your query will mention that you are an artist and contain a link to an online portfolio if you have one. (Hopefully, your portfolio contains graphic novel style pages.) After that, it depends on what they say.

Does anyone here have experience with Hannah Mann? I searched the thread for her name, but it didn't come up. Thanks for any info.