• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Writers House

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Locus reviews a lot of F/SF/H in both short and long form, provides commentary on publishing trends, con reports and has 2 pages of industry news including deals and the agents who handled them.
If you're serious about getting published in SF/F then it is a good mag to read.

rachel.moore.hawkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
readingwritingrachel.blogspot.com
Hi, everyone! I'm Rachel, and I'm new here!

I submitted an e-query to Dan Lazar for my first book,a YA paranormal, at around 10 in the morning on Tuesday. I got a request for a full by nine or so that night. Sadly, I couldn't access my internet until this morning, so I just now sent it.

So many butterflies in tummy! Submitting to WH was one of those "what the hell?" things, like, "I'm sure they'll say no, but it never hurts to try!" I was shocked to get a full ms request so soon. I'm not getting my hopes up too high, but still. Really exciting!

juneafternoon

Return of the Jedi
Registered
Reaction score
Congrats :D Writers House is awesome! Hope you go big on there :)

SmartAsh

Registered
Reaction score
Ohhh... Congrats! That's exciting... I hope it works out well.

I've been trying to work up the nerve to send out queries... and Dan Lazar is one of the agents that I would definitely be interested in! Based on interviews of his I've read, he seems really laid-back and funny, but completely dedicated to his clients!

Good luck!

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
Good news for Rachel. Good luck, baby girl!

Me, all I get are rejections from Writers House, so you must be doing something really right.

rachel.moore.hawkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, that was short-lived! ;) I got a VERY nice e-rejection from Dan Lazar today. He did say it was energetic and charming, but he wasn't totally in love with it, which I understand. He DID however give me the names of 2 agents he thought might be into it, which I thought was really above and beyond. Then, a few minutes later, he sent another email suggesting another agent at WH. Very classy, cool guy. So rejection or no, nothing but happy feelings about WH!
Thanks for all the support! This board rocks!

Last edited:

xiaotien

bedazzled /bootay shaker!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
bummer but wow on the referrals! that's really truly awesome!
and what a compliment. he wouldn't have done it if he didn't
think your book was good.

jkorzenko

Registered
Reaction score
Rachel,

Those referrals are nuggets of gold. Don't ignore them. You go girl! That is an awesome response from Dan Lazar! Congratulations.

Julie

rachel.moore.hawkins

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh, you better believe I jumped ALL OVER those referrals, ha ha! I queried all three that day. Haven't heard back yet from the 2 he originally sent, but Ken Wright at WH emailed me Friday night and asked for the full MS, so it's back on the excitement train I go! ;)
And, again, let me just state that Dan Lazar rocks. I was telling my husband that even though it was a "no" from him, it didn't feel like a no since he was so helpful. Anyone who gets him as an agent would be super lucky.

brittanimae

making a fresh start.
Registered
Reaction score
Lindsay Davis

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with subbing directly to Lindsay Davis, formerly Steven Malk's west coast assistant who is now accepting queries directly. I have been cyber-stalking SM for a while (no, not really) and think he's amazing, but Lindsay is so new! So fresh! Probably saying yes more frequently! Can anyone share additional info?

reenkam

aka cupcake
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has had any experiences with subbing directly to Lindsay Davis, formerly Steven Malk's west coast assistant who is now accepting queries directly. I have been cyber-stalking SM for a while (no, not really) and think he's amazing, but Lindsay is so new! So fresh! Probably saying yes more frequently! Can anyone share additional info?

I queried her on 2/28 but haven't heard back yet. It hasn't been too long, though. I'm not sure about her normal response times, but I don't think they're too extensive.

andracill

Registered
Reaction score
I queried her on Jan 25, got a request for a full on Feb 10. From what I've read and heard elsewhere, she generally takes about 4-6 weeks, I believe.

She did take on a new client last month, as well (in just a few days -- you know she loved that one!) :)

ThatMovieAnnouncerGuy

Registered
Reaction score
I met Lindsay at a conference last fall. She was very nice and willing to engage. Alas, she rejected the Q I sent to Steve in Dec.

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
33 day request for 50 pages
and synopsis via SASE from merrilee's
assistant. all materials to be
sent via post again.

LoisLane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.llmetropolis.com
Thrilling EQuery Agents at WH

As I live in Europe, smail is not the best way for me to go. So I avoid smail-only agents. I noticed at least one person in this thread has equeried an agent at WH but from everything I've read, it's against the agency's policy.

My question: Are there any thriller/suspense agents at Writer's House who accept/encourage equeries? I looked through AQ and didn't see any in my genre who did.

Thanks, ever so much.:)

xiaotien

Registered
Reaction score
Website
cindypon.com
lois, go to agentquery.com
and type in "writers house".

it'll pull up all the agents and what
they like to read as far as genres. it will
also tell you if they accept equeries.
i know that sherman accepts equeries as well.

good luck!

LoisLane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.llmetropolis.com
*SMH* I must have missed that one! Thanks a bunch, Xiaotien.

Edit: Just revisited AQ re: Writer's House and it turns out, Daniel Lazar accepts equeries, is open to unsolicited queries and considers thrillers. Not sure how I missed that one, unless it's been updated since I lasted looked which was quite some time ago. I've added him to my list! *claps*

Last edited: