The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 86 123456711265176 ... LastLast

Thread: [Agency] Writers House

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin scarletfox's Avatar

[Agency] Writers House

Hey guys-
    I was jsut wondering what y'all know about writers house, especially if y'all have any personal experience with them.
    Thanks!

I write stuff and break boards. dragonjax's Avatar
    Scarlet, any particular agent at WH?
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

dragonjax-

I was looking at either Ginger Clark or Albert Zuckerman. know anything about either of them?

thanks
    scarlet

Ruled by Dachshunds smallthunder's Avatar

Cool Albert Zuckerman & "Exclusive" Reading

I received a positive response to my query from Albert Zuckerman -- or, to be precise, his assistant (Maya). In the letter to me, Maya wrote that Mr. Z was interested in reading the first two chapters on an "exclusive" basis. Hmm ... In the package I sent, I noted in my cover letter that I could not promise an "exclusive" reading as several other agents have already requested/received chapters of my novel. [I didn't say, but thought: Hey, can I help it if he's slow to read his mail?] I also suggested that they look into having their write-up in Writer's Marketplace reflect a preference/requirement for exclusive readings.

I offered not to send out any more chapters to any other agents, should Mr. Z still wish to consider my novel -- i.e. future "exclusivity" and not retro-active. I asked that Maya e-mail me ASAP to let me know if this proposal was agreeable -- haven't received a response yet, but I don't think my package has reached them. I'll let you know what Mr. Z thinks about this semi-exclusivity proposal.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin spywriter's Avatar

al zuckerman

I also received a letter from Maya on Zuckerman's behalf this summer and she also asked for an exclusive. I offered her the 6 weeks she asked for and heard nothing for the 6 weeks. I sent her a reminder letter and immediatley recieved an "I'm sorry but you are not what we want" letter. FIve months later, I received the same EXACT letter dated five months earlier. (According to the date on the late letter I got, she knew within 2 days that she was not going to pass it on to him, but I had to wait the 6 weeks.) I guess she had lost the first letter she had sent telling me NO and then found it later and popped it in the mail. Zuckerman reads nothing until Maya likes it. If she doesn't love it, he will never read it.

As far as Zuckerman goes, he is like gold in the agent world. If you can get him....IF....then good on ya. Good luck...

Kim

Unhappy More on Mr. Z & exclusivity

I really don't like the idea of "exclusive" readership -- for the reason mentioned in the posting above: You have to sit on your hands for the stated period of time, even if the agent decides on Day Two your work isn't what s/he is looking for and can't seem to get around to telling you.

I know Mr. Z is Mr. Big (or Mr. Pretty Big) in the agent world, so I feel odd trying to set conditions. But, really, what could I do? Tell other agents to put down my chapters until I got word from Mr. Z? Talk about representational suicide, or at least self-inflicted mauling, should Mr. Z not want my work...

The damn post office is so slow -- well, from Taiwan to the U.S., after all -- I am on tenterhooks as to how Maya/Mr. Z will respond to my proposal.

haz a shiny new book cover Christine N.'s Avatar
    I got a form letter rejection from Ginger Clark. But it was in a timely manner!
    Christine

Young Adult Fantasy Author

A CURSE OF ASH AND IRON: Coming Spring 2015 from Curiosity Quills Press

"The Watchmaker's Ball" (short story), to be included in BEWARE THE LITTLE WHITE RABBIT (anthology), coming April 14 from Leap Books

Represented by Jordy Albert of Booker Albert Literary

I tweet

Young Adult Authors You've Never Heard Of

Quote Originally Posted by scarletfox
    dragonjax-

I was looking at either Ginger Clark or Albert Zuckerman. know anything about either of them?

thanks
    scarlet
    I know quite a bit about Ginger. If you can land her as your agent, you're ahead of the game. In my opinion, she's everything an author could ask for. When asked what an author should look for in an agent besides placing a book at a publisher, here's how she responded:

Upfront. *Fast responses to questions/calls/emails. *Knows their limits and willing to say, "I don't know, but I'll find out." *Excellent at contracts. *Pushy with editors, protective of you. *Honest. *Hopefully, recognized by the AAR. *Enthusiastic. *Professional. *Tries to keep foreign rights and has a good relationship with their foreign agents. *Knows lots of editors on a personal basis. *Gives you fast reads on your work, or at least is upfront when she needs more time.

Heads up that she will ask for an exclusive on a partial. Although she took a pass on my work, she got back to me realtively quickly.

And, of course, good luck!
    "Undying Love," a short story by Jackie Kessler in FANTASY FOR GOOD - a charity anthology to help fight colon cancer

practical experience, FTW
    I sent a query to Ginger Clark in November of last year. Still haven't heard a word back.

arkady, you may want to follow up. Sometimes, the US Post Office goofs. And if you sent an e-query, chances are that she won't answer; she's pretty strict about not accepting e-queries.

Yeah, I really think that Ginger Clark sounds like a good agent from what i've read about her here and other places as well, but my only problem is that, while quite a few of agents from writers house belong to AAR, she doesn't seem to personally belong to it. Of course, none of the other junior agents from writers house seem to personally belong to AAR either, do you think that could have anything to do with it?

Thanks!

Preditors & Editors Requiescat In Pace DaveKuzminski's Avatar
    Writers House is recommended by P&E. That recommendation applies to all of its agents. I'd be very proud to have one of them representing my work.
    When it comes to PA, the royalty check and the reality check arrive in the same envelope.

Remember to be kind to writers who step in PA. They really don't know how bad it smells.

The difference between PA and WLA? None. Both have the stench of dead and dying books emanating from their doorways.

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonjax
    arkady, you may want to follow up. Sometimes, the US Post Office goofs.
    Uh-huh. Just like it goofed with my queries to five other Major Agencies(tm).

And if you sent an e-query, chances are that she won't answer; she's pretty strict about not accepting e-queries.
    I'm pretty strict about sending them: I don't do e-queries.

Scarlet: I wouldn't sweat the AAR thing. Ginger, like the other agents of WH, abide by the AAR canon of ethics. And it takes time to become a member of AAR.

arkady: Yoikes. I hear you. All I can say is (A) November is the start of Holiday Time (tm), which lasts until roughly spring of the following year , and (B) if you're not getting any hits with your query, you may want to revisit it. And, of course, the best of luck!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin flotsamarama's Avatar
    I've been very impressed with the contact I've had thus far with Writers House. Within 10 days of my initial query, they responded by asking for sample chapters (on an exclusive basis). Within another 10 days, they had requested a full manuscript. Their responsiveness gives me confidence they won't sit on it forever and make the wait for the daily mail even more agonizing.

Maya/Mr. Z

G'day --

Just wanted to post an update regarding my situation -- if you read the beginning of this thread, you'll see that I replied to a request for an exclusive reading of a partial by offering future exclusivity (not retroactive) & asked Maya to e-mail me ASAP to let me know if this would be OK ...
    And the answer is ...
    ?
    In other words: No reply yet, although I believe that my package has surely reached its destination by now.

I still don't know if I did the "write" (heh-heh) thing -- was I really expected to tell other agents not to continue reading my partial? In any case, I'm glad I haven't been sitting on my hands waiting for that e-mail yes/no, because another agent (a notoriously slow-responder) did get back to me in the meantime with a request for chapters.
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

Good luck, smallthunder and flotsamarama!

Er, Dragonjax ...

... um ... "flotsamarama"?
    Er, I mean, thanks -- I guess?
    :confused:
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

What? I have a title? Julie Worth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flotsamarama
    I've been very impressed with the contact I've had thus far with Writers House. Within 10 days of my initial query, they responded by asking for sample chapters (on an exclusive basis). Within another 10 days, they had requested a full manuscript. Their responsiveness gives me confidence they won't sit on it forever and make the wait for the daily mail even more agonizing.
    If you donít mind saying...who is the agent, and what is the genre of your book? Looking back on my queries for my latest work, I sent one to Albert Zuckerman, and he responded in a week with a pass...and a flyer for one of his books, which was irritating as hell. (And ah! now I see why Dave at P&E doesnít grade down for that kind of behavioróhis own agency does it!)
    Last edited by Julie Worth; 04-15-2005 at 06:18 PM.

Unhappy Woops!

:Smack: Bloody 'ell, I'm SUCH a newbie ... I didn't realize Dragonjax was referring to another individual ( flotsamarama), but thought it was some sort of AW lingo. Maybe I'll just keep my postings to the newbie board and/or shut up and lurk.

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    Writers House has some major names, and is entirely legit.

I have to stop thinking of Ginger Clark as a nice little editorial assistant. She's a rising agent, and has been losing her milk teeth and cutting her permanent fangs for years now.

Quote Originally Posted by smallthunder
    :Smack: Bloody 'ell, I'm SUCH a newbie ... I didn't realize Dragonjax was referring to another individual ( flotsamarama), but thought it was some sort of AW lingo. Maybe I'll just keep my postings to the newbie board and/or shut up and lurk.

Silly! Don't even think of shutting up and lurking! Hear me? Huh? HAH? HUH?

Persuaded

OK, I'll stick around -- how can I refuse such a nice request from another New Yawker?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin madpawn's Avatar
    When you send a query to them, do you send it to this address:

Submissions
    Writers House
    21 West 26th Street
    New York, NY l00l0

Or do you put a specific agent's name above the "Submissions"?

Requiescat In Pace Requiescat In Pace

Writers House

Definitely address your query to a specific agent at any legit agency. Make sure you research the kinds of material each agent handles. Agents, like doctors, tend to specialize these days.

Writers House is completely legit. I've been a Writers House client since 1984.

Best,

-Ann C. Crispin
    Writer Beware
    www.writerbeware.com
    Author: STORMS OF DESTINY/HarperEos
    www.accrispin.com

Page 1 of 86 123456711265176 ... LastLast