• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Elaine Markson Literary Agency (formerly Markson Thoma L.A.)

pavtbr

Registered
Reaction score
Emailed a query to Laney Katz Becker today. Has anyone heard from anyone at this agency recently? I will post back when I receive a response.
Bryan

TheGrayLady

hide and seek
Registered
Reaction score
anyone have even more recent experience with julia kenny? I've read mostly good things about her on this thread but I was just wondering if anyone has queried her recently

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Hey Grey Lady,
It might be too late for this to be any use to you, but I e-queried Julia last night and received a full request this afternoon. So I'm guessing she's generally pretty quick on the initial requests. I'll update to let you know when I hear back.

Ayles

Still Learning the Ropes.
Registered
Reaction score
This is my first post, but I've been reading the boards for quite a while and thought I'd contribute. I sent a query to Laney Katz Becker on 10/9/12 and received a rejection on 10/15. Very quick return which was appreciated. Also very polite.

Vandal

In the Center of things
Registered
Reaction score
From The Lunch:

Julia Kenny is joining Dunow Carlson & Lerner as an agent, rejoining her recent colleague Eleanor Jackson. Kenny was at Markson Thoma--from which Geri Thoma, Jackson, Laney Katz Becker and Kenny have all departed since early March.

Is anyone left?

Scarlett_AU

Registered
Reaction score
I queried Julia Kenny back in February and did not hear from her for about 2 months- I presumed she was not interested. I got a request for a full from her on the 23rd of April and I sent it to her the same day - I am a tad confused as to what that means for my ms now. Does this mean she is perhaps passing it on to someone else from Markson Thoma to read?

VGeary

Keep calm, write on
Registered
Reaction score
Scarlett,

I can't say for sure, but probably not. She'll probably take your manuscript with her and, if she likes it, she'd offer rep with her new agency. Again, don't take my word for it. :) You could email her and ask. Tell her you heard that she's moving to a new agency and you're wondering what's going to happen with your manuscript.

Scarlett_AU

Registered
Reaction score
Scarlett,

I can't say for sure, but probably not. She'll probably take your manuscript with her and, if she likes it, she'd offer rep with her new agency. Again, don't take my word for it. :) You could email her and ask. Tell her you heard that she's moving to a new agency and you're wondering what's going to happen with your manuscript.

Thanks VGeary. I kind of wondered if that would be the case. Hopefully she is still responding/has a forward setup from her current Markson Thoma agency email-id.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... interesting.
She seems like a good agent.
Was closed for subs.
Will now give it a go.
Thnx for the info.

FluffBunny

Disapproving plot bun disapproves.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Third burrow on your left. Your other left.
Don't know. From the looks of Vandal's post back in April, the agency had lost several agents in a short period of time. There's no comments on Elaine Markson on QueryTracker since July 2012. Ms. Markson appears to have Twitter account, but has never tweeted on it and only a business listing for the agency on Facebook, so no news there.

VGeary

Keep calm, write on
Registered
Reaction score
Well, Geri Thoma (the Thoma side of Markson Thoma) moved to Writer's House in March. I'm not sure what Elaine Markson's plans are, but it appears the agency itself might be dissolving so now may not be the best time to query.