• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Poetry.com / International Library of Poetry / Watermark Press

AliasGod

hmmmm

They gave me an ISBN number, I wonder if thats fake too, because thats a federal offense

silverbug

What about me?

:\ i'm in the same situation as most of you. I wrote, I posted, I got my hopes up and I was disappointed.
But atleast you in the US can be part of any lawsuits which are filed against these people. I'm outside of US jurisdiction.
I didn't buy any books (thank God) but MY work is being pimped (yes it's being used to screw innocent people), and I don't like it. I was advised by a family friend, who is also a legitimate poet laureate, that I should make sure that the poetry is in my copyright ONLY and distance myself from further dealings with the site.
Does anyone have an email address for these people? And does anyone know how to delete one's poem from the site?
thanks,
Silver_bug

jokachem

Garbage in/garbage out - postage spent

I think this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture, be done on somebody's part.

I say start submitting trash to poetry.com (e.g., grocery lists, gibberish, perhaps even full-frontal assaults on poetry.com). They will all be deemed "semi-finalists" and the geniuses at poetry.com will send out their wondersful letters. Let's run up their postage expenses!

...I thinks that's how they got Capone.:rollin

Amichann

Re: Garbage in/garbage out - postage spent

lol .. even that wont show them. They don't care. They already have nonsense crap on their sites .. they don't even remove it. >_<

absolutewrite

Re: I got scammed also here

I like the idea of running up their postage expenses. ;)

But seriously, what can we do? We're all outraged, we all know how shady this operation is, and we all know innocent writers are being conned out of their money.

I've reported them to the Better Business Bureau, with disastrous results-- the BBB basically told me that the National/International Library of Poetry/Poetry.com was in good standing and was doing nothing wrong. I couldn't believe it.

So... writers, let's unite. What can we really do to get rid of this company? How about if ALL of us mail letters to the BBB? Maybe then they can't ignore us...

Amichann

Re: I got scammed also here

lying to, misleading, stealing, and taking advantage of children, 9/11 victims and the elderly is doing "nothing" wrong? maybe the "BBB" has a different defination of "nothing wrong". "Good standing" my foot.

kawama

scammed

Cannot believe that so many of us just wanting to be noticed have been scamed. Myself included. I did not write for money. Unreal. Well is their anywhere I could submit poems for real evaluation or recognition? I should have recognized it was wrong when they said I won an award and asked me to pay for the event and seminar to recieve my award in Florida. Something else . How do any of us know our personal info is safe? There is no passwords!

emeraldcite

Re: Poetry.com

If you want to send letters to the BBB, then you need to find some previously decided case where a decision has been made. For example, maybe there’s a decision out there against a company that preyed on the emotions of the elderly to sell them a misrepresented product. I'm sure there have been cases against companies such as these. But it would be difficult to shut them down just because they hurt our feelings.

Also, it would be interesting to track down some of the alleged prize winners to 1) prove their existence; 2) see if they were actually given any prizes. If the real winners don't exist, then it really is a scam by offering bogus prizes. Just curious, has anyone here been more than some incarnation of a finalist? Anybody really win any of the big bucks, no whammy that they offer?

crackerfish

poetry.scam

I submitted something (apparently 7 weeks ago, that's how long it takes to get your first piece of junk mail) and recieved their garbage in my mailbox today. I was fairly apathetic about it. I checked around the web for poetry.com to see what they were about. Quite interesting. So, I took it upon myself to add some graffiti to their web site. Not a hack or anything. Just search the name: (last name) Enhowe, (first name) Dewey. It's a slap in the face at them. You'll find the poem under the name - Dewey Cheetham Enhowe. Fitting.

My point is, why not just clog their system with crap writing? They have to pay postage on the mail they send out, right?

Remember, search (last name) Enhowe, (first name) Dewey. "Bucket of Three Dollar Bills". Keep writing, folks.

mazac

Publisher Test.

Send Them

this here
peace of crap
and if it is to be
given a
well done and
slap on back
they are to be
publishing hacks

Leto

Bah

Yeah, I got one of these "semi-final" letters yesterday but I can't say I was overjoyed; just suspicious because a) my poem was pretty mediocre and b) all these ridiculous prices to see my own work in print. Like I'm going to pay over AU $100 to get my crappy poem in a book which I'd be too ashamed to even show anyone.

My favourite part was where they said that if I was going to have a biography included it would cost a "little extra to cover costs of compilation etc" - how does it take $50 to type up 50-100 words?

So yeah, thought I'd check it out today and I found this board; it's good to know for sure what I suspected.

It's stupid; I wish I hadn't submitted anything now if I'm going to be solicited with their crap. But since I'm not going to reply to any of it, I suppose it's at their cost, huh - and they are, after all, footing the cost of international postage. ^_^.

>My point is, why not just clog their system with crap writing? They have to pay postage on the mail they send out, right?

Yeah, let's find out what countries they'll have to pay the most postage on and invent names and addresses there; that'd be good.

I suppose it's a rather clever ploy if you think about it, but too bad for those who really are fooled; I think they could still make money by genuinely choosing reasonably good poetry (eg not sending congratulatory crap in response to *every* piece submitted) so at least you wouldn't be ashamed to see your poem in print with the others. And hey, they could probably still make some money from people who know they are just paying to have their stuff published but don't mind because they think it's cool that way.

But my conclusion is definitely: you shouldn't have to pay for something they are 'honoured to bestow on you'.

-Leto ^_^.

wexfordpress

poetry.com and the market for poetry.

I guess the turnip truck is overloaded. So many folks fall off of it. It is no secret that there is no market for poetry as such. When is the last time you saw a poem in a newspaper? Yet my grandpa used to make money writing poetry for the papers.

There are only two wasy to get your poetry
published. One is to publish it yourself, and then give copies to friends and family.

The other is to submit to one of the jillions of "little" magazines that publish poetry. If your poem is accepted then they will pay you in copies. You may have to buy an issue up front. And they do screen for quality, so it helps if you have studied poetry in school and have read the better poets both traditional and modern. Just having the urge is not enough.

One other comment: the internet is not the only resource in the world. In this instance it is not even the best. Visit your library and talk to the research librarian. Look in the annual "Writers Market." If I were serious about getting any of my poems published that is where I would start, not online.

John Culleton
BS Ennglish 1960

ASA Law

Re: Poetry.com

As a lawyer and a new member here, I find this thread very interesting. There's no shortage of misrepresentation on the internet; regardless of the merits, I think there are enough flags present that anyone considering entering a relationship with Poets.com should do so with caution.

As to these interesting comments:

Judges have guidelines to follow, of course, but when all is said and done, their rulings are made based on their own prejudices about a situation. They are human after all, so no matter how hard they try to leave their biases out of the court room, they see things and rule on things based on their own life experiences and knowledge.
I know a number of judges personally who would be deeply offended by that assertion; in fact, a ruling made in this manner would violate the judicial canons of ethics. While it's true that no person can leave his preconceptions and life experience in chambers, judges for the most part do follow the law to the best of their ability. Sometimes you hear about surreal rulings that appear biased, but those are exceptions, not the rule. Especially in motions practice, I've found it's often straightforward to sense the likely outcome of the hearing--obviously, the clearer and more settled the law, the easier that is (and of course vice-versa).

You can spend a semester struggling with the issue in a law school jurisprudence class (and I have), but when you get out into the real world, it turns out most judges are trying to make the best ruling they can under the law. Not an easy job.

Cases like these make me wonder if the people who want to sue these companies aren't more angry with themselves for being taken than they are angry with the actual company for what they are doing. It is so much easier to place the blame on someone else than it is to point the finger at your image in the mirror.
I must respectfully disagree. The defense of "the rube should've known it was too good to be true and therefore deserved what he got" is a classic defense in the common law of fraud, and its wholesale rejection is equally classic. A person's gullibility does not excuse the deceit. Deceit is immoral, and deceit for financial gain--that is, fraud--is both immoral and illegal.

It is the very essence of fraud to prey upon the vulnerable. Whether it be a little old lady buying into a pyramid scheme with her retirement savings, or a hopeful writer banking on a publishing gimmick, people with high hopes and naivete are targets for con artists precisely because they're likely to fall for it.

To suggest otherwise implies that fraud should only be illegal when it cleverly hoodwinks the savvy--and that just doesn't make very much sense.

A.

aaliyahlover

Why so sad?

Well I believe that this "scam" of poetry in poetry.com is quite amusing! Humbly, I believe that I am a good writer and a good poet. Whether published or not, I feel sweetly praised by my own work. A fake copy of massively sent letters of "praise" and "recognition" for poems *good and bad* doesn't give me the key to feel more of a queen. The writer is in me, along with all its muses. Yes, I believe it's a shame how this company is using the choir of the human race in the art and creativity of one's own vision is quite horrible when taking avantage of it! Every person has the "muse eye" of sweet, inspirational invention in them. But what a haste and tasteless crime it is to use these artist for money! I have been getting those letters recently about getting published in their anthologies and sounds of poetry, but not at all have i felt overjoyed or felt truly overwhelmed in being published in their domain. Now that I know it's a scam, I in a sense feel overwhelmed that I don't have the money to go through their crap anyway. It's a shame. I observed that all that this company is gettting is MONEY MONEY MONEY. To who? TO THEM ONLY, NOT TO US! WHY SHOULD WE PAY FOR OUR OWN WORK! I WOULD LIKE TO SEE THEM DISPLAY THEIR ARTISTIC TALENT AMONGST ALL OF US WHO CAN!
For all of those that felt sad and hurt over this scam, please, don't bother in the pity of their useless crime. They are abusive towards true mortality. But if you, a writer or a poet of any kind, have that true mortality in yourselves to keep on writing, take your light in flight and let God be with us all! :D

windowban

ILP fooled us all!

I submitted by first poem back in 1996, I think before the website was put up. I have sent in a number of entries since then and even bought a book, 2 plaques and a recording on cassette. I got 2 offers to get my poems recorded, and I too got the 'don't tell anyone else' note about it. But, I don't really think what they're doing is illegal per say. My poems really mean something to me and I was genuinely trying to get them out there and recognized. I was very disappionted to learn that this was all a scam. It's sad, but we should learn from it. I haven't visited them in a while because they don't have my country of residence on the list, so I can't send entries even if I wanted to. So does this mean the International Library of Photography is the same deal? That sucks! It was all too good to be true anyway. Oh well, c'est la vie!

reef

Testing the system

Hey, I've got an idea. What if a bunch of people all submitted the SAME poem to poetry.com? Would they all get the letter about "your unique talent"?

And what if that poem were very well known and very long--say, "Paradise Lost"?

Amichann

Re: Testing the system

Nope, it still wouldn't matter. Poetry.com doesnt even READ or evaluate any of the poems that are given to them. There is already questionable and horribly bad written poems on their site. That is because they don't care about any of the poems submitted, so even if you do send in the most horrible poem, or the most easily reconized one, you will always get the same exact letter. You could submit the pledge of allegance to them and claim that you wrote it, and they would STILL send you the same letter. They don't care about anyone's poetry at all. They just want people's money.

paperroseau

in regards to the poems

>: i have recieved several letters in regards to this website and found that they truly rip people off.. they are now calling themselves the international society of poets.. i am glad that didnot send my monies to this place.. it is a great let down for those upcoming and inspiring poet writers... thank you :hat :rolleyes

LarkinEle

Agreed

It's too bad the site on the first post of this thread hasn't been updated.

How is poetry.com and the other site able to keep going if they're scamming?

Also, to include my experiences, I had to sign a piece of paper four times over the years on ONE poem. It was to be included in four different books. Yearly, I am asked to pay them 4 to 5 hundred dollars to pay for a meal, plaque, and whatever they want me to pay for. I even have to pay extra to have some 'famous celebrity' that I've never heard of to read my poem outloud.

Needless to say, I didn't buy a tape, book, plaque, not a single thing!

And I agree with what someone said earlier.. WE, the writers, WE should be getting paid for our poems to be included in books. WE should be getting the money, not the other way around.

I hope this situation will resolve itself one day.

maluchic86

Poetry.com

ok, i have to admit, if you pay money to buy the book, its not illegal, tho its not right either. But what makes me mad is that I never gave them permission to publish my poem in the anthology. I didn't return the Artist's Proof and they still are publishing it. Everytime i tried to email them, i get the email returned saying that the email address was not found. I mean, give me a break! I don't want to call long distance just to tell them not to publish my poem.

rignard

another poetry.scam observation....

Ha! I am a really crappy writer and when I discovered poetry.com I thought " Gee, maybe I can win some money!"
:lol I started with those silly once a day contests ( haiku, poetry in motion ) Today after I submitted my haiku for the day only a portion of it showed up. I wanted to edit it. But guess what? In order to edit it I must first register with poetry.com ( SAY WHAT???) I suppose that means I must pay them some money? Well, I couldn't find any info on how to do THAT so I called. After being placed on hold for 10 min. I hung up. I realize: SCAM...They hook you with a chance to win some money . You play along for about 3 days. Then about the 3rd try your poem fractures. Now your upset because you believe you really have a chance to win. Your on a roll.....You want your poem to show up. Here, here Mr. Poetry.com man. Please take my credit card #!!!! I am so glad I found this sight. I knew something was amiss!
I am very sorry to hear that truly deserving writers are being shafted!!!!!:|

sassenach

Truly deserving??

The thing is, I don't think most of the Poetry.com shaftees are "truly deserving writers". At best, they're exceedingly naive hobbyists. At worst, self-styled amateur "poets".

rignard

the poetry.com shaftee

No.....But if you are a very good writer with little experience....hey....poetry.com sounds legitimate enough. And some people, stuck way out there in the middle of the rolling plains, well... hey....sounds promising! And they may say to themselves " I count! I am worthy!This is my big BREAK.....thankyou lord JESUS, I knew I had TALENT! All the while pounding the floor with their eager and undeserving fists. Hoady doe doe. When I look at all the pollutants eminating from poetry.com I say to myself " Boy, I'm sure glad i'm not floating around in that caldron of waste !"( yet, I'm part of that dank stench, believe me! )
If I get a letter saying my crap poem has promise, I'm going to thank them profusely and exclaim " I'm poor,but OH SO Proud! thanks again LORD HEY-SEUS" I'm a writer now. Yippee. I always thought I was just a dishwasher.......:rollin