• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Poetry.com / International Library of Poetry / Watermark Press

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
So did I, Jim. Has the site been sold off again, or is Lulu behind this?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Well, dammit. This is bad news for writers everywhere. I can't call them a fraud because they aren't doing anything actually illegal. But they're a vanity press, worthless, and a blot on the history of literature.

I pity the naive young poet who submits work to them thinking that they're a real step on the road to ... anything.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Talk about bringing up memories. I fell for this when I was a kid and my parents paid for the very expensive book. It was years later that I found out what type of operation they ran. Needless to say the book has since been recycled.

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, dammit. This is bad news for writers everywhere. I can't call them a fraud because they aren't doing anything actually illegal. But they're a vanity press, worthless, and a blot on the history of literature.

I pity the naive young poet who submits work to them thinking that they're a real step on the road to ... anything.

Oh my God. I want to cry . . . AGAIN! I fell for this scam, but fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at the situation) was too darn broke to actually buy the book that was supposed to showcase my "Wonderful" poem. And I really did think it was wonderful.

Thankfully, this was in the beginning of my search for publication, so it made me aware of scams and I haven't fallen for one since then. This HURT like h**l, though. And it made me mad. Especially for the young people that are just starting out and fall for it. This sort of thing can do a lot of damage to your self-esteem as a writer, especially when you're young.

I can't believe this scam has reared its ugly head yet again. I wish it would just die and go away forever.

saphirablue84

Fighting off ninja plot bunnies
Registered
Reaction score
*shakes head* I remember being in elementary school & having them talk about submitting to these guys. Back then I knew a scam when I heard one. A few years later in middle school, a girl in my class was so excited because her poetry was being published in their book. I didn't have the heart to tell her it was a scam, but she found that out later.

I just wish/hope kids won't fall for this again. Adults, I'd hope, would/should know better.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
Talk about bringing up memories. I fell for this when I was a kid and my parents paid for the very expensive book. It was years later that I found out what type of operation they ran. Needless to say the book has since been recycled.

Same here. The worst part? My English teacher pointed me to it. I never thought to question it, because I figured she knew what she was talking about.

SGTLOWE

Registered
Reaction score
I just received a letter 4-27-08. From the new poetry.com website. It has the feeel of the old site letters I used to receive from them back before it changed hands. The letter states that I can buy a book (50 dollars) with my poem in it. Sound falimar?

I will say that I have posted and reviewed a lot of peoms on the site. Really just for other users feedback.I surpased the 25000 point mark and did reveive a free poetry.com pin. It came in the mail quickly and was fairly well made.

We will have to see how this site goes. Any other feed back would be great to hear.

scorpiodragon

Black belt in awesome
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, they're back. They got me years back when I was fresh out of high school. The only reason I knew something was wrong was whenI couldn't buy the book or order it from my local bookstore. I went all the way to the Library of Congress to look at a copy and boy was I suprised. They didn't get my money but they reused the poem in like six anthologies over the years (I made a game of keeping track), one of which my mom brought ( The title was "New American poets of the 21st Century" or something) and I had to explain to her how the scam worked.

In a weird way this vanity press is kind of a right of passage. If it wasn't for The International Library of Poetry I never would have discovered Writer Beware.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
I just received the following piece of spam from Poetry.com. It's their latest business model: crossbreeding Poetry.com with Kickstarter/IndieGogo.

Poetry.com ✆ [email protected] via bluehornet.com
1:06 PM (24 minutes ago)

Special news from a Poetry.com partner.

Your life is challenging. pleaseFUND.com can help poets raise money fast for the people and causes you cherish the most.

Start receiving donations in the next 15 minutes — FREE!!

Click Here To Raise Money Now!

Dear [name],

If you're like most poets, you probably feel your poetic artistry is often over-looked and under-appreciated in today's society. While popular athletes, musicians and movie stars all earn millions of dollars, virtually no money is made available for today's poets.

pleaseFUND.com is working hard to change all that. We're helping poets and other creative individuals raise money to deal with life's unexpected crises, expenses and opportunities.

[Name], we invite you to be one of the next poets we assist.

Decide how much money you need and how it will be spent.

This year we'll help you and thousands of other people raise money for medical emergencies, families in crisis, business ideas, funerals and memorials, creative endeavors, religious missions and projects, pet surgeries, schools and tuition, weddings and celebrations and many other worthy causes.

All this money is being raised through the miracle of online fundraising and the popular free website, pleaseFUND.com. You may have seen recent stories on CNN, Time Magazine, and The New York Times explaining how simple and easy it is to start raising money this way.

The reason pleaseFUND.com is exploding in popularity is because it really, truly works. And the best part of all? --- getting started on pleaseFUND.com is totally FREE!!

No Out of Pocket Expenses Whatsoever

Before going any further, [name], let me make one thing clear.

pleaseFUND.com will help you launch an online fundraising campaign without you having to pay even a single dime out of your own pocket.

There are absolutely no application fees, startup costs, memberships, or hidden expenses of any kind to get started.

The money you raise is yours to keep! No repayment is ever required!

Start Raising Money in the Next 15 Minutes!

Today, all of us live in tough economic times.

[Name], I'm sure that you...or someone very close to you...a family member, relative or friend could use some extra money right now. pleaseFUND.com can help you raise the money you need for the people and causes that matter to you most.

You can begin receiving donations for your fundraising project in the next 15 minutes.
Just tell your story on pleaseFUND.com in the most passionate and emotional way possible so people can clearly understand why it's important to support your cause.

[Name], as a poet, you'll find this easy to do. Surprisingly easy.

Why? Because you've already demonstrated the courage to share your innermost thoughts and feelings. You already know how to inspire others. This rare ability to communicate messages from your heart is the secret to raising money fast on pleaseFUND.com!

Your Money Is Deposited Into Your Account

Once your project is launched, you'll begin receiving money and donations that will be deposited into your account. You'll also receive a report of exactly where all this money is coming from.

As your donations flow in, pleaseFUND.com deducts 5% to cover their costs of managing your campaign and Paypal charges approximately 3% to process the donations.

This means that for every $100 you raise, $92.00 will be deposited into your account. Money that's available for what matters to you most!

Just Sit Back and Watch Your Donations Roll In!!

Once your fundraising project is launched, you can sit back and watch your donations roll in. You'll discover that everyone wants to help...including your friends and family!

You'll also get international exposure and promotion for your project through online advertising and from visitors that come from all over the world to pleaseFUND.com. In short, we'll do everything possible to help make your fundraising project a success.

So, [name], what can we help you raise money for today?

Whatever cause is most important to you, we can help you start raising money and donations right now!

Wishing You Much Success,

Lauren Williams
pleaseFUND.com

P.S. [Name], this year we'll help you and other poets raise money for medical emergencies, families in crisis, business ideas, funerals and memorials, creative endeavors, religious missions and projects, pet surgeries, schools and tuition, weddings and celebrations and many other worthy causes.

We can help you raise money in the next 15 minutes. It's fast, easy and FREE! Please tell us what you want to raise money for today!

Bizarre, eh? It's crowdsourcing for people who don't really understand crowdsourcing.

Like Poetry.com's original business model, it can be completely automated. Poetry.com/pleasefund.com doesn't care whether a given project has any value. They just sit back and collect their 5% of whatever comes in.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
*sigh* They got me in 1986. I forked over $50 (which was 10 hours of my after school job) and got a hard backed anthology. My poem was about three inches in tiny print with thirteen other poems on the same page. The anthology was a door stopper.

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
*sigh* They got me in 1986. I forked over $50 (which was 10 hours of my after school job) and got a hard backed anthology. My poem was about three inches in tiny print with thirteen other poems on the same page. The anthology was a door stopper.
Oh Jamie, I'm sorry that happened to you. Unfortunately you're not the only one. Before I could stop my niece, she did the same in high school at the encouragement of her teacher. But then, she might not have listened to me.

Katrina S. Forest

Registered
Reaction score
Website
katrinasforest.com
You know what I keep coming back to that's kinda sad?

Thank goodness it was just a poem. A bad poem written by my 12-year-old self at that. And $50.

My heart breaks for the people who get taken in by vanity presses whose full-length novels are locked away for years, who've poured hundreds or even thousands into a company that just sucks it up and doesn't care.

Poetry.com made me so alert to writing scams, I haven't been tempted by one since. That vague flattery that duped your younger self is something you don't quickly forget.